Proving My Wife Is The Mother Of Her Daughter!

confused1or2

A little History!

When my wife had her daughter 14 years ago she did not have an "identy card", so her husband (now deceased) had the child parents named as himself and his sister.

Today my wife went to the Amphur office with a friend of the family who used to work in the offices to start the process of proving that she is the true blood relative/mother to her daughter, but was told that if she proceeded it is very likely she would be arrested and sent to prison for having lied to the government office when her baby was born!

Can anyone clarify this point, as all we want to do is to be able to apply for a visa for her and my wife to come and live with me in England when i return to them in the coming months.

The friend of the family told me today that the easiest option is for me to invite the daughter over as a student so that my wife and step daughter will not be seperated. If this is the case can someone please advise how i start this process.

It has taken us until recently to obtain a copy of the "House registration document" needed for us to be able to complete the civil paperwork of our marriage, on my return; and this was by paying money to her sister in-law who's named as the mother of her daughters.

I love my wife and her daugher dearly and could not ever contemplate them being seperated!!

Its a rotten mess and you have my sympathies. Whatever you do, don't go down the "student" route with the British Embassy....for various reasons she would'nt qualify. Moreover you would have queered the pitch badly with the Embassy when you have to finally come clean.

Can I ask...whats to stop your wife "adopting" her daughter ? Seems like your sister-in-law is buyable...

When i was told the news this morning, adoption was the 1st thing i asked about; but i was told by the friend of my wifes brother ,that this is not an easy route to follow.

If anyone knows how to proceed in this way i am all too willing, i just seems to go from pillar to post with one problem after another.

At the moment i want to keep any stress to the minimum for my wife as she has only been out of hospital less than a week after a serious opp!

Today my wife went to the Amphur office with a friend of the family who used to work in the offices to start the process of proving that she is the true blood relative/mother to her daughter, but was told that if she proceeded it is very likely she would be arrested and sent to prison for having lied to the government office when her baby was born!

Sounds like a typical line a Thai bureaucrat would give a chao naa (rural) person in the hopes of getting some money to resolve an issue. Better to find the local phoo luang (village headman) or kamnan (subdistrict head) or other personal phuu yai of the family to help at the local Amphoe office in such matters. Or just ask: "how much would it cost to avoid jail time?" But I have never heard of anyone being incarcerated for such affairs.

A little History!

When my wife had her daughter 14 years ago she did not have an "identy card", so her husband (now deceased) had the child parents named as himself and his sister.

Can anyone clarify this point, as all we want to do is to be able to apply for a visa for her and my wife to come and live with me in England when i return to them in the coming months.

The friend of the family told me today that the easiest option is for me to invite the daughter over as a student so that my wife and step daughter will not be seperated. If this is the case can someone please advise how i start this process.

It has taken us until recently to obtain a copy of the "House registration document" needed for us to be able to complete the civil paperwork of our marriage, on my return; and this was by paying money to her sister in-law who's named as the mother of her daughters.

I love my wife and her daugher dearly and could not ever contemplate them being seperated!!

According to your post it was the now deceased former husband who made the false declaration to the Amphur. The wife seems blameless. Why not arrange for a DNA test to be done at a major Thai hospital to begin the proof process, and then talk to a good Thai lawyer.

Your getting some good advice here, jail time is damm unlikely here. I doubt you have had much experience with the British Embassy, but without the right documentation you have no chance in ######, hard enough with the right papers. So at the end of the day you don't have a lot of choice. No one can guarantee the outcome but it won't work the other way, you simply will not get a visa for her.

I think what is needed is an intermedary to work out how the Amphur can solve the problem for you. Ask your wife to speak to her village Kanman, there will be somebody who can sort this problem out, but it will cost money.

The arival of a white face on the scene will only push the price up, but moeny solves such problems in Thailand.

Thanks guys for your advice and support, i will let my wife know to night that she needs to go back to see the "village headman".

After all, he was used as an intermediary to obtain a copy of the "house registration document" from my wifes sister in-law; of course the 8,000 baht that we paid her helped as well, but at least he made sure we got the paperwork! :o

I will update on the news as i get it!!

Cheers :D

had the child parents named as himself and his sister
Sorry for you predicament, but how is the above possible, how can he and his sister be the parents?
Today my wife went to the Amphur office with a friend of the family who used to work in the offices to start the process of proving that she is the true blood relative/mother to her daughter, but was told that if she proceeded it is very likely she would be arrested and sent to prison for having lied to the government office when her baby was born

Sorry being cyinical, were you there, can you understand what was being said?

and
of course the 8,000 baht that we paid her helped as well,

You should not have to pay that ammount, "house registration papers" (tabian ban) should be freely avalible at the Ampour, maybe if you want it done quickly a few hundred bhat.

I am sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick, but something's just don't sound right, be careful.

I hope I am wrong and all of the above have valid reasons, and if so you have my appolagies, but take care.

A Thai lawyer (who was not involved in the following transaction) had previously informed me that the only way we could make our wedding legal was to give the Amphur a copy of a current "house registration document" with my wifes name on it. And the only way you could obtain one was by owning a house or paying someone to put my wifes name on theirs! The lawyer admitted that money was a big motivator for these people who have a tabien baan!

The ex-sister in-law was originally going to do this for nothing until she found out that i was English and then greed got the better of her; my wife did not want to pay and kept saying that we would find another way, but i insisted. And it was thanks to previous advice on the site that we got the village headman involved in the process.

My wife is very innocent and too trusting, always trying to see the good side in everyone, she has had so called friends who have ripped her off; but i know one thing for sure, my wife and her family have hearts of gold and i would trust everyone of them with my life!!

There will always be a few bad apples in every society, but we must not confuse a persons innocence for deceit.