Dead toenail, what to do? (Note - graphic pic)

Bonobojt

So I started a new job without the proper shoes needed, I noticed my toenail on my big toe was a dark colour, It looked bruised so I thought nothing of it, couple of weeks go by and it's still not changed so I take a closer look and the nail as become loose on the left side, I cut off the loose part and I'm left with almost half a toenail, it's still attached to the toe but it looks dead, almost white looking no colour. I feel no pain or discomfort, there's no puss or fungus. I doubt it's due to infection, it seems like this was work related, wrong shoes for the job. Anyway, do I need to see a doctor or will it just heal and grow back on its own? 

160044493426883734513848884140.jpg

Had something similar (actually exactly shape)  good news it grew back but grew back very thick and lifted from nail bed

I expect in my case  the nail will eventually drop off

Edited by poohy

It will slowly grow back again over a few months.

If it gets infected I'd consider taking a course of dicloxacillin.

You need to make sure you wear shoes that don't restrict the nail or squeeze it as it regrows or it could end up much worse, like a fully ingrown toenail, I had one once - you can fix that by cutting the full nail off but it's better to avoid it as it requires a doctor and it's classed as a minor surgery (very minor) but still a pain in the foot.

When it happened to me, apparently because the toe nails were two long and stubbed against the inside front of the shoes on a long downhill mountain hike, I wrapped a thin bandage around the toes to keep the old nails in place while the new nails were growing beneath them. Optionally add some antiseptic lotion or cream.

As I remember it, the new nails took several weeks to grow. That was several years ago and I have never had a problem with them. They seem stronger and are harder to cut than the old nails.

• Like 1

If it is all dead it will fall off on its own. Or just the dead parts will (may have already) if part of it is still viable.

It will then grow back on its own but very slowly. In the interim you may need to put a bandage over it when wearing closed tow shoes to avoid pain.

No need to see a doctor unless there are signs of infection. OR if other toes start to be infected in which case may be fungal condition that needs medication. If it stays limited to the one toe then you may be right re the shoes being the culprit.

• Like 1

I’ve had a load of those over the years due to getting my feet trampled on by people wearing stetted boots while playing football (soccer).

Its nothing to worry about if kept clean - I used to drip Betadine (iodine) onto it after a shower just to make sure. 

If dead a new toenail generally starts growing underneath and takes few months... Sometimes the nail itself falls off completely and a new nail grows. 

I stubbed my big toe 3+ years ago which has lead to a longitudel ridge permanently lifting 30% of the nail off the bed. Apple Cider Vinegar helps if the underside goes black which isn't very often. I have no idea how to fix it but it's completely painless. My wife cuts it down-to-the-wood every couple of months but the ridge starts inside the toe therefore always returns.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

(I was hopping about like Basil Fawlty when I did it, lol)

Edited by evadgib

17 hours ago, tonray said:

Go to a doctor and have it removed....it looks like fungal infection..not harmful but you'll never rid yourself of it 

Get a thai GF...I recall a girl I dated would cut my fingernails...without my asking or approval......also avoid the straight blade shave!!!

• Confused 1