Chiang Mai Immigration Office Extension - questions

I'll be going to CM Immigration this week to apply for a 30 day extension (tourist visa). A few questions if you don't mind (and apologies in advance as I've never done any kind of extension in Thailand, I live in Malaysia):

Is an appointment required?

I have an embassy letter but heard they're not requiring them, if this is the case should I use it or take the 30 days no letter option?

VISA photos - can I get these on-site?

Passport photocopies - also can I get these on-site?

Also heard that there'd be unlimited 30 day extensions for those that can't return home, is this confirmed?

Is there anything else I need?

To be clear I'm not looking to stay here indefinitely but only until Malaysia opens the borders with Thailand. This could obviously be quite some time but nobody knows.

A appointment is not mandatory.

As far as I know there is no place to get a photos or copies done near the immigration office there. Best to get them before going there.

A letter from you embassy would not be required if you have not applied for a 30 day extension of your tourist visa entry.

1 hour ago, SteezyP said:

Also heard that there'd be unlimited 30 day extensions for those that can't return home, is this confirmed?

Immigration has said that but it would only be possible if you had a letter from you embassy.

1 hour ago, SteezyP said:

To be clear I'm not looking to stay here indefinitely but only until Malaysia opens the borders with Thailand.

If you are Malaysiaan you can enter now.

That IATA info for entering Malaysia is confusing so it hard to say who can enter now.  Click Malaysia on the map here.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Thank you for the replies so far. Looks like I need to find somewhere that will do the photograph locally. (I have somewhere for photocopies/printing but haven't found anywhere for the photo yet). I'm in Chiang Pheuk area.

Oh I'm not Malaysian btw, British citizen living in Malaysia.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has said that but it would only be possible if you had a letter from you embassy.

I have a letter from my embassy but would I need a new one every 30 days?

36 minutes ago, Marcous said:

I'm pretty sure 30 day tourist visa extensions are now handled at Promenada, not at the main CM office.

I think it's on the second floor where they used to do TM30's. Up the escalator and turn right.

Is this Promenada mall?

Edited by SteezyP

10 minutes ago, SteezyP said:

Where is this in relation to the main office? Is it nearby?

No, it is several KM away.

Promenada Chiang Mai, หมู่ที่ 2 192-193 Somphot Chiang Mai 700 Pi Rd, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50000

• Like 1

Quick update I'm at CM imm now Promenada office. It's busy but not chaotic.

Slight complication my airbnb host hadn't updated TM30 but fortunately she was able to resolve quicky and send screenshot, which could be printed downstairs.

They gave me embassy letter back, said it wasn't required as it's my first extension.

I have queue ticket now, they've taken break for lunch. Back at 1pm.

• Like 2

And we're done. Fairly painless the only hiccup caused by landlord and not immigration.

Got full 30 days, no need for under consideration.

Anyone who hasn't been yet just make sure you have TM 30 and it should go smoothly.

Queue was bigger as I left in the afternoon compared to this morning.

Arrived at Promenada at 1.15 today. Helper outside office was very pleasant and helpful. I filled out forms, made copies, returned to her to check them (she took a screenshot on her phone of a photo of my hotel and got GPS coordinates without even asking me to do it)  and got my #. Just finished- 2 1/2 hours and I have my 1 month extension (never used it before, so its a regular extension, not an embassy letter). The que for covid 19 people was much longer, I'd guess they're spending more like 5 hours. Still, not bad, as its in a comfortable mall.

Note: her first question was whether I had a copy of my TM30. I checked into the Holiday Inn last night bc I  didn't want to deal with a smaller hotel or airbnb where I might not get a copy.

Worth the trip from BKK to get a real 1 month stamp. FYI: for the benefit of people considering coming to CM, I asked the IO processing me if they were open Saturday.  The answer was an emphatic no.

Edited by WuhanVagabond