Rugby World Cup 2007

Congratulations and well done to England and the couple of English supporters (MiltonBentley, TBWG, etc) who have been on this thread for a while.

To the newly arrived gloaters without the courage to put up before the contest, I have nothing. :o

Shaddup Croc..... :D

I spent more time on these forums in the last 2 years than most of the posters on this thread combined , let me do some lurking.for a change... :D

ps If I can't gloat on me birthday when can I ?

pps wheres da fly ?

Edited by chonabot

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since you've had a go at me Little Jack. :bah:

Welcome back! :D:D

I think you guys are just missing Tsetse, I've called you a lot worse than "after the event gloaters" in the past. When you sober up and think about it, it's not really a bad title to wear. :o:D

... on the wagon.. ish :D

Back on topic; better luck in '11 :bah:

Congratulations and well done to England and the couple of English supporters (MiltonBentley, TBWG, etc) who have been on this thread for a while.

To the newly arrived gloaters without the courage to put up before the contest, I have nothing. :D

I spent more time on these forums in the last 2 years than most of the posters on this thread combined , let me do some lurking.for a change... :D

pps wheres da fly ?

Happy birthday Chon :o

To the newly arrived gloaters without the courage to put up before the contest, I have nothing. :o

Apoligies in advance then old croc , i'm a newly arrived gloater to this thread ( though in my defence I am a real England supporter and have been for the last 20 years , its just that football comes before rugby :D:D ).

We looked well up for it and played to our strengths , the ozzies had no reply and I'm sure Strling Mortlock ( a great player ) will be having nightmares for 4 years.

As for the frogs , I never thought I would be cheering them on but the one thing we have to give them credit for is passion. A lot of teams have passion but the frogs take it to the next level :D .

So we play them in Paris , a tough game but if we play to our strengths once more , Wilko stays fit and the Argies / Scots beat South Africa in the semis we have a chance of winning the whole thing :bah: .

ps - 2 out of 2 so far for Europe , so much for there not being a european team in the semi's for the first time :D .

To the newly arrived gloaters without the courage to put up before the contest, I have nothing. :D

pps wheres da fly ?

happy birthday from Liverpool Chon :D

Shaddup Croc..... :bah:

pps wheres da fly ?

happy birthday from Liverpool Chon :bah:

Cheers Lads ! Hope your scouse boys can give me a real pressie today by letting us win... :D

On a brighter note, I was reading the Sun a few days back and the bookies were giving odds of 16- 1 against Wilko scoring more points than the Ozzies combined in the QF , I thought 'What tw@t would bet on that?......' :D

pps wheres da fly ?

Happy birthday and congratulations Chonners. :bah: Good to see not everybody needs a humour transplant. :o:bah:

Up the Flying Fijians! :D

Get in England :o:D:D :

<H5 align=center>Jonny kicks Oz out again</H5><H1 align=center>Salute the Lionhearts</H1>

By Andy Dunn in Marseille

YEP, that is still all we've got. Heart, bottle, burning desire, unbreakable spirit, call it what you want.

0710rugby_01.jpg

WILL CARLING'S VIEW: IT WAS AN EPIC

READ: OUR LADS PACKED A PUNCH

Oh, and yes — Jonny Wilkinson.

Barely able to haul his battered body into the bowels of the Stade Velodrome, Wilkinson (below) had emptied his vast tank of courage.

It was by no means his most accomplished game in the white of England, not even his finest hour.

But he was a limping, bruised yet towering symbol of one of the most epic team performances in English sporting history.

Every missed kick, every mistake, every monumental blow to his torso only served one purpose...to send him back into battle with effort multiplied, bravery redoubled.

Ditto for every other single lionheart who refused to melt in the Mediterranean sunshine.

If you push big men to the brink, they fight. And these big men have sure been pushed.

By the humiliation at the hands of South Africa, by the criticism back home, by the ridicule from Australians with far too much to say. 0710_rugby07.jpg

Choked

Four years ago, the Aussies pointed to a picture of Wilkinson and famously asked: ‘Is that all you've got?'

They choked on the words in 2003 — yesterday, they simply choked in the face of Herculean heroism.

But although Wilkinson — now the Rugby World Cup's record points scorer — kicked the four penalties that clinched the impossible victory, this was about strength through unity.

And nowhere were Brian Ashton's team stronger than up front.

There's winning ugly and then there's winning the England pack.

More frightening than a midnight walk along Marseilles dockside, captain Phil Vickery, Mark Regan and Andrew Sheridan simply decimated the Australian scrum. Men of six-and-a-half foot and 18 stone were made to look like rag dolls in the mouths of bull-terriers.

And it mattered not a jot when they reluctantly succumbed to inevitable injury...replacements such as George Chuter, Joe Worsley and the indefatigable Lawrence Dallaglio could barely wait to continue the brutal punishment.

Such was England's forward dominance that the celebrated Australian backline had little to do other than watch the carnage unfold.

Just as well, probably. On the one genuine occasion they were let loose,Australia's backs manufactured the only try of this bone-crunching contest.

And even then, Lote Tuqiri's dash for the line was almost foiled by Josh Lewsey — another who tackled himself to a painful standstill.

That score edged Australia ahead after two Wilkinson penalties had more than cancelled out Stirling Mortlock's early kick.

It meant England were four points behind at half-time and those who had made their way from Down Under and sat in the shadow of Marseilles' protective mountains, sat back and waited for the green and gold avalanche.

It never materialised.

Whenever there was any hint of Australian momentum, it foundered on white rock.

Mike Catt, another to boast concussion as a badge of his commitment, was often mistaken in his judgement. Jason Robinson, one electrifying first-half break apart, tried in vain to find avenues amongst the boulevards of broken bodies.

But both were unrelenting in their refusal to let a Wallaby pass. Sure, there were nervous moments — Mortlock's late penalty hooking a fraction left when it would have given Australia a place in the semi-finals.

And it would have been the cruellest cut for England because not only was this a triumph of tenacity, this was a triumph for the BETTER side.

From Paul Sackey's athleticism to Mathew Tait's precocious rugby brain to Andy Gomarsall's almost unbelievable domination of the great George Gregan, all of the 21 players used were simply better.

Quite where Ashton dragged this performance from will remain a modern mystery.

The statistics of the win, however, are not a mystery, Wilkinson's two second-half penalties defying the odds.

Perfectionist that he is — or basket-case that he is — the three missed kicks and one missed drop goal would probably have been haunting Wilkinson last night as Marseille vibrated to the strains of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

Let's hope not. Had England been just a shade more composed when openings were inevitably created by their forward supremacy, they would have won this game in a canter. Tait, Catt and Wilkinson himself all made costly errors when the try-line loomed.

But the margin matters not this morning.

England took the Wallaby by its ears from the first whistle and never looked like letting go.

Of course, an even sterner challenge lies ahead in Paris on Saturday and the walking wounded will have to regroup both physically and mentally.

But for once, the final whistle should not have brought out the old lines about already focusing on the next game.

Fate

Do that tomorrow.

You don't retain the Webb Ellis Trophy by getting to a semi-final but Wilkinson and his team-mates can — whatever their fate next weekend — at least say they have defended their crown with pride.

They could not say that before yesterday.

And as England performed a lap of honour, the Australians gathered in a huddle of tears.

Their union's chief executive John O'Neill said last week that everyone hates England.

England does not hate you and your countrymen John, far from it.

In fact, they love you.

Love playing you, love beating you, love proving you and the rest of the world wrong. SCORERS — Australia: try Tuqiri; pen Mortlock; con Mortlock. England: pens Wilkinson 4.

The beauty of sport for those of us who are such avid fans is that it is by its very nature unpredictable and yesterday in the Rugby World Cup we saw not one but two remarkable upsets that turned all preconceptions on their head.

Last week the pundits were discussing the supposed terminal decline in northern hemisphere rugby and talking expectantly of the first all southern world cup semi finals. The European game was written off as being dull and moribund, unable to stand comparison with the supreme athleticism and lightning handling skills of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Since the rapid decline of England’s great World Cup winning side the tri nations giants have not only won every game of note against European teams they have totally dominated. The All Blacks have, above, all looked regally supreme, last year they were unbeatable and at the start of the tournament were massive odds on favourites to win the World Cup. Australia were not far behind they probably have the finest central backline in world rugby and certainly the best defence. These two giants were comfortably expected to contest the semi final next week but both find themselves on a long, depressing flight home at the expense of what everyone said were lesser teams.

Australia were undone by an English side that ruthlessly exposed their only weakness – the scrum. The Australian pack was pulverised by a towering performance by the English front five led by that freak of nature Andrew Sheridan. The Australian forwards were so dominated in the set piece that it affected their entire game and England were able turnover ball after ball in the loose. The immensely talented Australian backs looked dangerous every time they got the ball but such was the supremacy of the English forwards that they only had the ball four times in the entire match.

The France – New Zealand game was different, The French were fueled by a massive surge of Gallic passion that never allowed New Zealand to settle and control the ball the way they usually do. They signaled their intent by facing down the haka; standing just a couple of yards from New Zealand warriors with an intensity that sent shivers down the spine.

New Zealand started brightly and it seemed there would be an avalanche of points but the French played a canny game with the boot, kicking deep and pinning the All Blacks deep in their territory. New Zealand looked unconcerned almost cock as Carter attempted a crossfield kick in his own 22, However the sheer intensity and passion of the French rocked the Kiwis and they were forced out of their usual pattern of play to resort to a pick and drive game through the forwards. New Zealand went ahead through a Rodney So'oialo try but the French refused to fold. Frederic Michalak was brought off the bench and into the fray and immediately made a sublime break and split the New Zealand defence asunder to allow Jauzion to score a try. Ellisalde converted and then stout French defence saw them home for a famous victory.

It was one of the great days in rugby’s history, the delicious irony of two of the best teams in world rugby being beaten by the sheer passion, commitment and guts of the underdogs.

From the Tuskers blog

The beauty of sport for those of us who are such avid fans is that it is by its very nature unpredictable and yesterday in the Rugby World Cup we saw not one but two remarkable upsets that turned all preconceptions on their head.

Last week the pundits were discussing the supposed terminal decline in northern hemisphere rugby and talking expectantly of the first all southern world cup semi finals. The European game was written off as being dull and moribund, unable to stand comparison with the supreme athleticism and lightning handling skills of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Since the rapid decline of England's great World Cup winning side the tri nations giants have not only won every game of note against European teams they have totally dominated. The All Blacks have, above, all looked regally supreme, last year they were unbeatable and at the start of the tournament were massive odds on favourites to win the World Cup. Australia were not far behind they probably have the finest central backline in world rugby and certainly the best defence. These two giants were comfortably expected to contest the semi final next week but both find themselves on a long, depressing flight home at the expense of what everyone said were lesser teams.

Australia were undone by an English side that ruthlessly exposed their only weakness – the scrum. The Australian pack was pulverised by a towering performance by the English front five led by that freak of nature Andrew Sheridan. The Australian forwards were so dominated in the set piece that it affected their entire game and England were able turnover ball after ball in the loose. The immensely talented Australian backs looked dangerous every time they got the ball but such was the supremacy of the English forwards that they only had the ball four times in the entire match.

The France – New Zealand game was different, The French were fueled by a massive surge of Gallic passion that never allowed New Zealand to settle and control the ball the way they usually do. They signaled their intent by facing down the haka; standing just a couple of yards from New Zealand warriors with an intensity that sent shivers down the spine.

New Zealand started brightly and it seemed there would be an avalanche of points but the French played a canny game with the boot, kicking deep and pinning the All Blacks deep in their territory. New Zealand looked unconcerned almost cock as Carter attempted a crossfield kick in his own 22, However the sheer intensity and passion of the French rocked the Kiwis and they were forced out of their usual pattern of play to resort to a pick and drive game through the forwards. New Zealand went ahead through a Rodney So'oialo try but the French refused to fold. Frederic Michalak was brought off the bench and into the fray and immediately made a sublime break and split the New Zealand defence asunder to allow Jauzion to score a try. Ellisalde converted and then stout French defence saw them home for a famous victory.

It was one of the great days in rugby's history, the delicious irony of two of the best teams in world rugby being beaten by the sheer passion, commitment and guts of the underdogs.

From the Tuskers blog

Well done France! But i am Scots...there has always been a historical link between France and Scotland.

Friend said to me today whats the difference bewteen a Kiwi and a tea bag? A tea bag stays in the cup longer!

:o

Looking forward to the Scotland/Arentina game later...wait and see!

begsaresponse

Knives already out for All Blacks

All Blacks choked New Zealand Herald

I thought this was particularly harsh

"Sadly we are a dumb rugby nation, we don't play the big matches well," he said.

"We play them in a boofhead way. We were a bunch of boofheads playing out there tonight against a French side that isn't that good. On the big occasions we choke."

More

I don't think 'boofhead' is a real word :o

_44160897_sheiden_dunning203.jpg

auseng7afp.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed (read heartbroken, devastated, crestfallen) that my team lost to England last night, but my hat is off to the poms courage and determination. Congratulations England, another long wait for the Wallabies.

Blow me down, the snail eaters beat the sheep shaggers as well. I expected the Kiwi's to win in a canter, not just the game against France, but the Cup itself. Sport sure is unpredictable!! Congratulations France, commisserations NZ, (at least you guys have the Bledisloe Cup and the Tri-Nations Cup in the trophy cabinet, all we've got is the Mandela Cup).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed (read heartbroken, devastated, crestfallen) that my team lost to England last night, but my hat is off to the poms courage and determination. Congratulations England, another long wait for the Wallabies.

Blow me down, the snail eaters beat the sheep shaggers as well. I expected the Kiwi's to win in a canter, not just the game against France, but the Cup itself. Sport sure is unpredictable!! Congratulations France, commisserations NZ, (at least you guys have the Bledisloe Cup and the Tri-Nations Cup in the trophy cabinet, all we've got is the Mandela Cup).

Thanks Midas very gracious

:o slight OT but this Aussie loosehead (quite apt name) prop, is sporting that horrid mullet hairstyle which I thought it had gone out of style a while ago. Funny shaped, rotund guy, easier to jump over him than going around him :D

post-7932-1191742776_thumb.jpg

Theres was once a coversation between a All Black Captain and The Prime Minister of NZ. The Prime Minister was saying to the Captain that as Prime Minister, she would be one of the most hated people in NZ, but would rather be Prime Minister, than be an All Black after a NZ Rugby loss. I felt McCaw played a great game until the last 10 mins where he should have rallied his men and have them drive up into the French 22 and have McAlister kick a drop goal, from in front.

Im sure this will be one of NZs darkest sporting moments. Is it too early to say roll on 2011? :o

Theres was once a coversation between a All Black Captain and The Prime Minister of NZ. The Prime Minister was saying to the Captain that as Prime Minister, she would be one of the most hated people in NZ, but would rather be Prime Minister, than be an All Black after a NZ Rugby loss. I felt McCaw played a great game until the last 10 mins where he should have rallied his men and have them drive up into the French 22 and have McAlister kick a drop goal, from in front.

Im sure this will be one of NZs darkest sporting moments. Is it too early to say roll on 2011? :D

Good to see you Donny. Yes a dark moment for your boys. As an Englishman sporting defeats are something you get used to. :o

New Zealand rugby should not panic and make wholesale changes to team or management. The English win in 2003 was built on the defeat to South Africa in 1999

Pressure on NZ in 2011 will be massive :D

Im sure this will be one of NZs darkest sporting moments. Is it too early to say roll on 2011? :D

Good to see you Donny. Yes a dark moment for your boys. As an Englishman sporting defeats are something you get used to. :o

New Zealand rugby should not panic and make wholesale changes to team or management. The English win in 2003 was built on the defeat to South Africa in 1999

Pressure on NZ in 2011 will be massive :D

I think the management were mostly contracted till the end of this year anyway, so its unlikely that Henry and co will be re-signed. The question will be, who is capable of taking up the role of this pressure cooker job? Robbie Deans comes to mind, the Canterbury Crusaders coach, but whether he signs is another matter. Who would want this intense public scrutiny every season?

Many All Blacks are off to greener pastures as well, seeing off their careers in good paying European contracts so a double whammy so to speak.

we have come close many times MB, but the losing is never something we get used to due to the expectation of winning after cleaning up during the non RWC years. :D

Now where can I get a Los Puma jersey? :D

Why don't they take two players per side off and play proper Rugby?

cause they dont want to be playing with alcoholics and druggies :D

let alone having opposition digits inserted where the sun doesnt sunshine :o