Rugby World Cup 2007

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BIG. BIG game coming up tonight.

C'mon Ireland send the Frenchies home :o

France 29 Ireland 3.

Ireland struggled with very poor forward play. The French were reasonable, but the match was spoiled by the stop start refereeing. Anyway Ireland on the way home early as the Pumas should beat them.

Yes very disappointing from an Irish perspective. There were moments early on when I thought they may be able to control the game through the boot and the forwards but it wasn't to be. In the ned the French completely dominated and deserved to win and win well.

Agree the refereeing was not up to scratch. Sorry Ireland unless you have a miracle next week it's an early plane home.

it looks like the French will play NZ in the quarters if the Irish lose to the Argies next week, and that game is played in Cardiff, neutral ground for the French. Im sure we can send them home MB. :o

Who would the Welsh support during that game?

as it stands the quarters would be something like the following;

6 Oct 20.00 Australia vs England/Samoa/Tonga Stade Velodrome, Marseilles

7 Oct 2.00 New Zealand vs France Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

7 Oct 20.00 Wales vs South Africa Stade Velodrome, Marseilles

8 Oct 2.00 Argentina vs Scotland Stade de France, Paris

but Im getting ahead of myself here, as the runner up in Pool A is likely going to be decided tonight.

How is England going to fare against Samoa? Time to stand up, and get going England.

Im going for England by 20 as mentioned before. But who knows which teams turning up to play tonight, the champs or chumps?

it looks like the French will play NZ in the quarters if the Irish lose to the Argies next week, and that game is played in Cardiff, neutral ground for the French. Im sure we can send them home MB. rolleyes.gif

You hope mate :o The Welsh will support the French becasue they are NH and they haven't forgotten the haka farrago last time you boys were in Cardiff.

Don't forget we are closed for a private party tonight so you can't come and laugh at me during the England match. You'll have to save your derision until tomorrow when I assume you will come in to watch the Scotland match?

it looks like the French will play NZ in the quarters if the Irish lose to the Argies next week, and that game is played in Cardiff, neutral ground for the French. Im sure we can send them home MB. rolleyes.gif

You hope mate :o The Welsh will support the French becasue they are NH and they haven't forgotten the haka farrago last time you boys were in Cardiff.

Don't forget we are closed for a private party tonight so you can't come and laugh at me during the England match. You'll have to save your derision until tomorrow when I assume you will come in to watch the Scotland match?

arh yes I remember that. But we got the result we wanted thou winning 45-10

the story here

Backlash certain over 'haka-gate'

12:00AM Sunday November 26, 2006

By James Corrigan

With so much certainty crystallising itself in solid black in the Cardiff air this morning (NZ time), it was perhaps strange to find one giant question on the lips of everyone leaving this humbled stadium: why didn't New Zealand do the haka?

The answer was they did - in the dressing room, lined up in front of two petrified stewards who, as legend already has it, immediately handed their bibs back in and were last seen legging it up St Mary's Street.

So before the merry dance came the angry dance and if anything the inquest into the reasons for it was even more intense than that of Wales's dramatic destruction.

After all, the thumping was quite foreseeable after this northern hemisphere autumn of awful realisation; the fact that they would not be performing the haka for the first time in decades was palpably not.

And all because of some petty bureaucratic row.

In short, Haka-gate came to pass because Wales wanted to sing their national anthem after the haka and New Zealand insisted they did it, like they believe their tradition to have it, before .

Incredibly, the argument began six weeks ago and lasted so far up to kick-off that the Wales players were actually on the pitch waiting for the usual grunts, leaps and thigh slaps to be enacted out in front of them.

Even Dave Pearson, the referee, went to ask what was going on before coming back and getting proceedings under way to a resounding boo.

In normal events that is a sound that should never be heard around a rugby pitch, but not this time.

It was perfectly understandable.

They felt shortchanged, like a fan who goes to see Tom Jones and he neglects to do "Delilah".

Inevitably, the recriminations came thick and fast.

The Welsh Rugby Union pointed the finger at the New Zealand management and the stabbing digit then came back with interest.

At least the Welsh were first to do something here yesterday and their statement was a classic piece of PR gibberish that even Alastair Campbell, that glorious exponent of oval-ball spin, would have blushed at.

Among other things, they claimed to have spoken to a Maori chief in the midst of the debate and "were assured that the haka was performed to invite a response, an invite from the opposing team".

The WRU got a response all right - although it was perhaps not the one they were expecting.

It was less "Ka Mate" and more "ta-ta mate".

In fairness, to the much-maligned governing body they had believed they had created a precedent last year by scheduling the singing of the anthem after the war jig.

This, they said at the time, was because it was the centenary of the first international between the countries and it was exactly what happened in 1905.

The All Black hierachy were reported not to be too happy about it, but decided to let it lie.

Until the cheeky Welsh deemed to try it on again, that is.

So when was the last time that New Zealand kicked off without their favourite boogie? Well not as far back as most first expected.

Record books were dusted down, historians consulted, but it was the memory of a legend which pointed out that until the 70s the haka was not a regular sight at all.

Barry John was on hand to declare that in all the times he lined up against the All Blacks he could not remember them doing it once.

"Barry, that's because it's hard to dance when you're on knees and bowing," said one wag.

For the Welsh there wasn't much else to smile about here.

- INDEPENDENT

Edited by Donnyboy

forgot about that MB, thanks for the info. Will come in tomorrow and see you then, hopefully not crying your little heart out :D

forgot about that MB, thanks for the info. Will come in tomorrow and see you then, hopefully not crying your little heart out :D

No crying Donny England to win big tonight :D

South Africa vs Tonga halftime score: Boks 7-3

Tonga are playing well against an under strength Boks side. The Boks have thrown away about 3 chances to score tries, which should have been finished. The one try they did score from came from a cheeky penalty tap in which Tonga retreated behind the posts thinking SA would place kick.

Look for the Boks to get fired up in the 2nd spell and bring on some key 1st players to get more asendancy. Place kicking has been poor from the Boks.

No crying Donny England to win big tonight :D

thats good, would hate to see a grown man cry :D

South Africa vs Tonga final score Boks win 30-25

What a great game!

Jake White rung in the changes as soon as Tonga scored a try early in the second half. The Tongans looked out of it from the 60 min mark as the Boks scored 3 quick tries. But amazingly, they clawed their way back after both sides lost a man to the bin and the Boks losing another after the Tongans nearly scoring for killing the ball. Firstly a try to the Tongans from forward play then 3 mins later from a cross kick bomb.

The Tongans looked ranpant through their bustling runs and it took all the Boks scrambling effort to keep them out. The Tongas are definately the surprise package in this RWC. England look out!

England vs Samoa Final score ; England wins 44-22

Still some work to do here for England as it wasnt the best performance. Samoa turnovered plenty of ball and were punished in the last 10 min due to lack of fitness.

MB sighs of relief?? :o

Still some work to do here for England as it wasnt the best performance. Samoa turnovered plenty of ball and were punished in the last 10 min due to lack of fitness.

MB sighs of relief?? :D

Much as expected Donny no tears and a comfortable England win in the end. OK it wasn't pretty but it was a better score than England managed against Samoa in the last world cup. Although I don't expect the rugby world asre quivering in their boots :o

Full respect to Tonga though they gave the Boks a real scare. They are having a great RWC.

MB sighs of relief?? :D

Much as expected Donny no tears and a comfortable England win in the end. OK it wasn't pretty but it was a better score than England managed against Samoa in the last world cup. Although I don't expect the rugby world asre quivering in their boots :o

Full respect to Tonga though they gave the Boks a real scare. They are having a great RWC.

no, theyre crackin a few ribs :D

Sorry not to keep you company for Argentina/Namibia. A very busy 48 hours meant I needed some rest :o

Good professional performance by Argentina showing how to put a minnow away. They should beat Ireland to win the group which is a fine performance. March on you Pumas.

Contepomi the flyhalf is a great player, it seems everytime he touches the ball, something happens. He definately a class act among the backs. If there were a couple more like him in their team, they would probably be contendenders for the final.

Contepomi the flyhalf is a great player, it seems everytime he touches the ball, something happens. He definately a class act among the backs. If there were a couple more like him in their team, they would probably be contendenders for the final.

Surely you mean title Donny? :D

didnt know coming second had a title? Perhaps runner up of RWC? or SCBNC? :o

Scotland 0 NZ 40

Australia 55 Fiji 12

Both weaker nations played their second string sides in anticipation for playing for second place in their respective groups next weekend. Easy victories by the big SH boys.

Donny however was less than delighted. He expects a lot of this All Black team and I sense he is getting twitchy about the knockout rounds :o

Scotland should be thrown out for fielding a weak side, just rolling over & letting NZ win is not good enough & should be punished with expulsion

I disagree.

While it may lessen the desirability of the fixture the change was brought about as a consequence of the group structure. Teams are allowed to have a squad of 30 and how they use that is entirely up to them. If they played a full strength team and 4/5 keyline Scots picked up injuries they would have to field a weakened side in next weeks crucial games and ten again in the quarter finals. Why should they compromise their chances of progressing in the competition just to put on a show against NZ? You may accuse them of being defeatist but realistically even a full strength Scottish team would not beat the All Blacks.

Fiji did the same thing for the same reason.

Once we get to the quarter it will be full on for everyone.

Scotland 0 NZ 40

Australia 55 Fiji 12

Both weaker nations played their second string sides in anticipation for playing for second place in their respective groups next weekend. Easy victories by the big SH boys.

Donny however was less than delighted. He expects a lot of this All Black team and I sense he is getting twitchy about the knockout rounds :o

Re All Black performance; slightly twitchy, yes. But I would think that the coaching staff know theres plenty to work on, so Im not throwing in the towel just yet MB. Couple of key areas especially passing, catching the high ball and retaining posession. Carter needs to improve his placekicks, missed 4 or 5 last night.

The game they played didnt carry the same momentum as their first 2 pool games. Theres still some cobwebbs there. But again, I dont expect the ABs to be peaking just yet, until the knockout phases.

Other thing that pissed me off, both teams jerseys look so similiar at a distance, it was hard to figure out who was what. At one stage, the ABs made a clean break, it looked like there were no Scottish players, but about 25 All Blacks in the backline.

What a disaster.

Scotland 0 NZ 40

Australia 55 Fiji 12

Donny however was less than delighted. He expects a lot of this All Black team and I sense he is getting twitchy about the knockout rounds :D

Re All Black performance; slightly twitchy, yes. But I would think that the coaching staff know theres plenty to work on, so Im not throwing in the towel just yet MB. Couple of key areas especially passing, catching the high ball and retaining posession. Carter needs to improve his placekicks, missed 4 or 5 last night.

The game they played didnt carry the same momentum as their first 2 pool games. Theres still some cobwebbs there. But again, I dont expect the ABs to be peaking just yet, until the knockout phases.

Other thing that pissed me off, both teams jerseys look so similiar at a distance, it was hard to figure out who was what. At one stage, the ABs made a clean break, it looked like there were no Scottish players, but about 25 All Blacks in the backline.

What a disaster.

Speaking as a Scot I was disgusted with my teams performance last night. :o It would have been much better if they played their 1st team. They may still have lost but it would have been a more enjoyable game in front of their home crowd. And as for the strategy about saving the 1st team so that they can beat Italy well only time will tell. I do not believe Scotland will qualify to go through as their strategy was flawed last night.

begsaresponse

What a disaster.

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me Donny so I can have a rant :D

The kit issue last night was absurd and someone should lose their job over it. Both teams has the same colours in their tops and socks and the same colour socks. Awful for TV viewers and no doubt difficult for the teams. May explain NZ's passing problem.

Speaking as a Scot I was disgusted with my teams performance last night. bah.gif It would have been much better if they played their 1st team. They may still have lost but it would have been a more enjoyable game in front of their home crowd. And as for the strategy about saving the 1st team so that they can beat Italy well only time will tell. I do not believe Scotland will qualify to go through as their strategy was flawed last night

I've rarely been one to be accused of supporting the Scots Begsaresponse :D but I think they were right. I think Scotland will beat Italy and with a strong possibility that you will play Argentina in the quarters you have a very good chance of getting to the semis when anything can happen. If that happens no Scottish rugby fan will dwell on last night's team selection. Actully I thought your second string did OK - I suspect against the England 1st 15 the All Blacks would have notched up a bigger margin :o

What a disaster.

I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me Donny so I can have a rant :D

The kit issue last night was absurd and someone should lose their job over it. Both teams has the same colours in their tops and socks and the same colour socks. Awful for TV viewers and no doubt difficult for the teams. May explain NZ's passing problem.

Speaking as a Scot I was disgusted with my teams performance last night. bah.gif It would have been much better if they played their 1st team. They may still have lost but it would have been a more enjoyable game in front of their home crowd. And as for the strategy about saving the 1st team so that they can beat Italy well only time will tell. I do not believe Scotland will qualify to go through as their strategy was flawed last night

I've rarely been one to be accused of supporting the Scots Begsaresponse :D but I think they were right. I think Scotland will beat Italy and with a strong possibility that you will play Argentina in the quarters you have a very good chance of getting to the semis when anything can happen. If that happens no Scottish rugby fan will dwell on last night's team selection. Actully I thought your second string did OK - I suspect against the England 1st 15 the All Blacks would have notched up a bigger margin :o

Im not usually in favour of coaches putting out their 2nd string side, but on this case, the Scots need to win against Italy, whom are a real threat as you're probably aware. So coach Hadden has made a tactical decision to save his best squad for that game.

I guess its the case of losing a battle to win the war.

MB, a NZ colt team would probably beat the England 1st team by a bigger margin :D