Thailand extends grace period for stranded foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expects foreign tourist numbers to plunge to 6.7 million this year from 39.8 million in 2019 before recovering to 20.5 million next year.

This compares with the central bank’s estimate for 9 million tourists in 2021.

And now take a wild guess which of these two estimate figures I am more inclined to believe, the TAT's or the central bank's?

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

After October, a new immigration regulation will allow foreigners to apply for 60-day extensions to remain in the country if they are unable to leave due to limited flights or other issues

Does this include those on a non-O extension? 

15 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I don't think Immigration has ever really liked the idea of the amnesty, and was hoping it would end. In fairness, though, when they were telling people to get out, they were acting in good faith based on the information available to them at the time - they don't control the government's decisions, and they had no way of knowing that there would be a belated change of heart by the ministers. This whole circus certainly could have been handled better, but I think the biggest problem is the disconnect between the decision makers (the government) and the office implementing the decisions (Immigration).

One is the organ grinder and one is the monkey. Or supposed to be. ???? The Immigration should not be issuing statements on behalf of their government or a minister. If they did this because they were told to then this is another matter. My feeling is that they took the law into their own hands. Too much power. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

This is a total slap in the face to people like me who left before the 26th after immigration made multiple threats. I even waited until the 24th, cutting it really short in my opinion.

What is their message here? People can stay another 30 days and then just keep extending at 60 days per time? That means they changed their mind about wanting us gone? This would have been helpful information BEFORE the amnesty expired and we were asked to go home.

My girlfriend called it from the start. She said they need the money and they won't send anyone home and keep extending. She even said I should listen to her because she's Thai and understands how Thai people think. Foolishly I listened to immigration and tried to keep legal and do what was required by law. Lesson learned I guess.

Ya know I was wondering about you and was about to post on another thread if you stayed or left. 

I assumed you left, so I didn't want to rub it in with this amnesty Extension. 

Thanks for the update! 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clumsy backpedaling and outrageous inconsistency is sending the message to anyone willing to change their luck that the roll of the dice will pay off. 

What happens next month - No one believes Amnesty will not be extended. How many people will get caught out for no other reason than the belief that Thailand will go back on their statements as they did last time and the time before that ?

This government have done nothing more than create confusion onto of further confusions. 

For effs Sake Thailand - Just announce a 6 month Amnesty and stop this juvenile back and forth.

I also suspect a lot of the childish inconsistency has a lot to do with different government bodies failing to communicate with the other and while Immigration were informed by the government that there would be no extensions permitted, they changed their mind at the last minute making immigration look like fools. 

Anybody just a little bit smart knew that amnesty would be extended !

But yes, maybe hard to find amond people here...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, john smith said:

This should prove to be interesting and a wonderful opportunity for agents. If flights are available there is in theory no wriggle room. But " other issues" is a wide enough door to drive a horse complete with cart through.

The door is so wide open, agents may not be needed. Just 1900 baht and some paperwork. This is what I thought was most likely going to happen: a short amesty extension during which people could apply for a new visa offered to people on amnesty.  

"Limited flights" would mean people who want to stay will wait until the end of October and hope flights are full or canceled. I expect them to offer a visa that people can start applying for soon. Proving flight problems etc at the beginning of October would be impossible, because there could be flights later in the month. I doubt they want an IO overflow two months in a row. 

They had to do something. Anybody with any understanding of the situation knew that. People shrieking for months about the "final amnesty" and arrests, deportations, and so on are just sad little trolls who should be muted. 

• Like 1

The chaos was something that was totally foreseeable.  Instead of the extensions being until October 31 they 30 day extension was from the date you applied.  That meant to wait until the last possible moment to apply.  Now consider all the people who went through the time and expense to go to their embassy to get a letter then the time, expense, and hassle of going to immigration for a 30 day extension that is now essentially worthless since if you did not apply you got the same amnesty until October 31.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

If they are not cheap charlies, they would have extended long ago instead of waiting for an amnesty announcement on the last day. 

It's because we understand the value of our money and know it will be needed elsewhere. It's my 1900 baht and it stays in my pocket for something I value. Unnecessary visa extensions are not valued. Everyone who feels otherwise feel free to send me 1900 baht. If you don't, you are a cheap charlie. If 500-1,000 of you do it will cover my losses due to the covid border closures.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't tell 'em anything, just pretend you're a bit stupid if they ask.

Works for me and all the other slightly demented old white guys at immigration.

I printed out my letter (in colour) from Aussie embassy from back in July and they barely glanced at it.