Undercover 'tony"

jomama

An acquaintance of mine, who is ill and in his 60s was assaulted in Chiang Mai. Most unfortunate, but he and the police got it sorted out. As he left the police station, he was given a cellphone number for 'Tony' -- the undercover cop that has been discussed in this forum before.

My friend has also heard of him and declined to call. An hour later 'Tony' called him and asked if he was sick and lived alone, to which he replied that he was well and lived with many people.

For whatever good it might do, my friend has a meeting scheduled with the US Embassy in Bangkok. Any additional info would be helpful to him.

Thanks

Edited by jomama

Sorry to here about the assault.

This tony guy sounds like an 'enforcer' that is to say a policeman who operates 'outside the law' in sorting problems out.

I've never heard of him but a similar 'system' was available in Hua Hin.

An acquaintance of mine, who is ill and in his 60s was assaulted in Chiang Mai. Most unfortunate, but he and the police got it sorted out. As he left the police station, he was given a cellphone number for 'Tony' -- the undercover cop that has been discussed in this forum before.

My friend has also heard of him and declined to call. An hour later 'Tony' called him and asked if he was sick and lived alone, to which he replied that he was well and lived with many people.

For whatever good it might do, my friend has a meeting scheduled with the US Embassy in Bangkok. Any additional info would be helpful to him.

Thanks

Sounds 'nasty' to me.

If he reported the assault and visited the Police station....they, most likely, noted where he lives....? :D

Hmmm, sounds nasty; better ask friends to stay in in house when he visits BKK... :o

LaoPo

Thanks

I was crying for a long time when I read that Mr.Tony the law enforcer is a new messias, and with love is looking for our wellbeing

Sorry to here about the assault.

This tony guy sounds like an 'enforcer' that is to say a policeman who operates 'outside the law' in sorting problems out.

I've never heard of him but a similar 'system' was available in Hua Hin.

"Mr Sopprano" for those who dont know him :o

im sorry..im obviously stupidly naive here..

are you saying that if the friend has said he lived alone etc..that this undercover cop guy would have tried to hurt him? Or are you saying that he would have helped protect?

I think im living in a CM bubble. =/

are you saying that if the friend has said he lived alone etc..that this undercover cop guy would have tried to hurt him? Or are you saying that he would have helped protect?

Hi eek,

Your not alone – it’s all way over my head as well. It would be nice if some kind soul explained in simple English to us simpleminded members, what is going on?!

Hi eek,

Your not alone – it’s all way over my head as well. It would be nice if some kind soul explained in simple English to us simpleminded members, what is going on?!

Tony is an uncover policeman who speaks very good English. The rest is "unsubstantiated rumor." Except my friend had direct contact with him, no rumor there.

There have been reports of him showing up after people have had problems and had contact with the police. I quote from another forum:

About an elderly tourist:

On his way back from the Night Bazar to his hotel (Winner Inn) last Friday at around 11pm, he was attacked and robbed in the road/soi close to his hotel. Hit from behind, held on to his bag, then hit (repeatedly?) in the face requiring surgery. He's still in hospital but recovering.

First aid people were very good, initial police response was very good, he was transported to Chiang Mai Ram hospital which is of course very very good and really the very best place to go especially if you have insurance.

Then on Saturday, next day after the event while still feeling upset and groggy from surgery, a different policeman comes to visit by himself, says his name is 'Tony' and from what I understand lays on this disgusting fake-jovial Thai police-dude thing ('you my friend' etc, etc) then after that proceeds to search his belongings and ask insinuating questiosn. He checked for 'hairs' on his jacket, repeatedly counted the 1400 baht he had left, (which was ALL he had left, passport, lost, ATM card lost, etc.), goes through his medications, even went so far as to take some glucose pill and licking it to check it out (the guy has diabetes too), asking if he went with prostitutes, so overall insanely intimidating behaviour. At this point the guy was wondering if he should just give the policeman some money, but witht the 1400 baht being all he had left (cash/ATM card all gone) he just couldn't do so. He's now scared to go to the police station just to make up the statement he needs to take to the embassy to get a replacement passport!

KJ = Kirsty Jones, who was raped and murdered at the Aree Guesthouse.

Another post:

Sorry to have to say this, but I wouldn't mess with Tony if I were you. He seems to be untouchable and the only tourist police that anyone has ever heard of which probably says a lot.

Maybe you could contact BKK, or the embassy. But the tourist police here would at best politely listen to your complaints and do nothing about it... and let's not imagine the at worse scenario. Sorry to give you the bad news, but any other cop and I would say go for it. But Tony? No, let it be. Nasty nasty. And yes, it is the same Tony whose name is up on the KJ thread. So be warned. Wouldn't put it past him to be reading this either. Don't particularly care though. That type of behaviour is just repugnant.

Thanks

theres a cop called tony,not sure if hes undercover,who drinks in lucky bar quite often.told me and my friend if we had any trouble to let him know about it.but maybe he's a real cop.i know he owns a guesthouse/condo near night bazzarr i think he said.hangs about with farang and thais.maybe you could ask in lucky.

Maybe you could contact BKK, or the embassy. But the tourist police here would at best politely listen to your complaints and do nothing about it... and let's not imagine the at worse scenario. Sorry to give you the bad news, but any other cop and I would say go for it. But Tony? No, let it be. Nasty nasty. And yes, it is the same Tony whose name is up on the KJ thread. So be warned. Wouldn't put it past him to be reading this either. Don't particularly care though. That type of behaviour is just repugnant.

Thanks for the info. I came across a similar trickster/crook in Bangkok about 25 years ago, he said he was a police colonel, I gave him his head, got him drunk one night and got hold of his ID number and handed it over to the local police with a written complaint. It turned out he was using the ID of a policeman who had passed away.

I think one should always be careful of any slick smooth talking stranger, no matter what country you are in.

> theres a cop called tony,not sure if hes undercover,who drinks

> in lucky bar quite often.told me and my friend if we had any

> trouble to let him know about it.

Reply "Ah, you mean just like you helped out Kirsty?" and if his smile disappears then it's THE Tony. :o

Your friend should just steer clear of the whole situation. If Tony is offering vengeance, then it doesn't take much brains to understand why it's better to avoid it. If your friend really needs protection, then the best protection is to leave town for a while. It's not really clear what happened in this case, but it doesn't sound like a random act of violence, so there is probably money, business, or even love involved.

Of course my friend is steering clear. This Tony is infamous in longtime farang circles. It appears he's given the "heads up" by "normal" police (if there is such a thing in any country) alerting him to the weak or vulnerable. I met him once myself when another expat was outside the box in a bar -- Rolf's Flamingo, for those who remember him and the place -- and Tony offered to "help him". We said we would look after the guy.

He's some kind of predator. Many people in this forum know about this, but are holding back because this guy is is truly dangerous and very well connected.

I have never heard anything about this guy that suggested anyone would want to meet him. :o

Tony is well known in the farang owned bar community for his service to clear things up.

If you have problems collecting money from other farangs he will gladly help you to recover the money

Any donation to a charity which can support poor girls which a forced to work in loei kroh with no mother and father and a sick baby will be highly appreciated. A man you can trust in one way or another.

If he was truly well connected what is he doing wasting his time in two-bit tourist girlie bars along with the tuk tuk drivers and other lo-so riff-raff. At the first hint of his victim not being a clueless newbie tourist he buggers off back under his rock.

Edited by chanchao

It was mentioned above that CM Ram is the best hospital to go in CM. It might be a good hospital but the others are just as good.

CM Ram has some kind of scam going on. If you search the thaivisa website you will notice a pattern of deciet.

If you end up at CM Ram voluntary or involuntary, before you leave, double or triple check your bill. Especially if your have a partial payment to make to the hospital. That where they cheat you the most.

The ambulance drivers are also involved with this scam. I was in a motorcycle accident in CM with my wife. I was taken to CM Ram and she was taken to a different hospital in CM. Dumbest thing I ever heard of.

And to keep this post on topic, I bet that Tony guy is somehow involved with this scam too.

Edited by richard10365

If he was truly well connected what is he doing wasting his time in two-bit tourist girlie bars along with the tuk tuk drivers and other lo-so riff-raff. At the first hint of his victim not being a clueless newbie tourist he buggers off back under his rock.

Have you ever met Tony? Sure sound like you have...

CM Ram has some kind of scam going on. If you search the thaivisa website you will notice a pattern of deciet.

If you end up at CM Ram voluntary or involuntary, before you leave, double or triple check your bill. Especially if your have a partial payment to make to the hospital. That where they cheat you the most.

The ambulance drivers are also involved with this scam. I was in a motorcycle accident in CM with my wife. I was taken to CM Ram and she was taken to a different hospital in CM. Dumbest thing I ever heard of.

I bet that Tony guy is somehow involved with this scam too.

That Tony! :o

Another urban myth perpetuated by "those in the know" or think they are. Note many posters specify RUMOR.

I lived in Chiang Mai for 15 years. Some of the others who are commenting even longer. This is not rumor. Where do you want to get your information? From the police? Or the politicians? Or maybe the Thai newspapers...

Please read the thread more carefully.

Another urban myth perpetuated by "those in the know" or think they are. Note many posters specify RUMOR.

I lived in Chiang Mai for 15 years. Some of the others who are commenting even longer. This is not rumor. Where do you want to get your information? From the police? Or the politicians? Or maybe the Thai newspapers...

I want to get my information from people who have at least met him and communicated with him to some degree. Reading this whole thread, I can't find anyone who has talked to him- simply, some reports from others told here thirdhand, with no reports of being ripped off- only offers to help... No credibility in my eyes.

Edited by Ajarn

I want to get my information from people who have at least met him and communicated with him to some degree. Reading this whole thread, I can't find anyone who has talked to him- simply, some reports from others told here thirdhand, with no reports of being ripped off- only offers to help... No credibility in my eyes.

I'm sure I've posted this before, probably under a KJ thread. I've met this Tony guy. He came into a bar where I was sitting and talking to a Thai girl. He came over to us and said to her that he would give her 1000 baht to say that she knew that Andy had something to do with KJ's murder. I think he figured I didn't understand what he was saying, so I just kept my mouth shut and followed along. She had no idea what he was talking about so basically ignored him and he left. When I asked her who he was she said his name was Tony and he was a policeman.

Do I get a prize now? :o perhaps a free pizza, or a month's pass to use your swimming pool? :D

Cheers,

TT

who have at least met him and communicated with him to some degree. Reading this whole thread, I can't find anyone who has talked to him-

I once told him to f#ck off after he tried to squeeze some tea money out of me.

And he did f#ck off.