Undercover 'tony"

jomama

Sorry, I should have added,'from someone I know'. Any other reports are from people I don't know, add no credibility to the whole story. Who knows if they are telling the truth? Or if there is only 1 police officer with the name 'Tony'...

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn, the text quoted in post #13 (Jomama) was written by me.

I volunteer for a tourist assistance service, and met a guy who was the victim of a robbery in Chiang Mai, then harassed in the hospital room by a tourist police officer who introduced himself as Tony.

By all means go have a cup of tea with the guy, I won't lose sleep over it, but I heard it direct from the victim and the info is good enough for me.

The only issue left to debate is if he's a coward praying on the easiest pray, or that he's actually high up. I personally suspect the former, which does not mean that he's therefore not a dangerous nutter. In either case he's best avoided, in the same way you avoid scammers, drunks, and other obnoxious pests.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

Ajarn, the text quoted in post #13 (Jomama) was written by me.

I volunteer for a tourist assistance service, and met a guy who was the victim of a robbery in Chiang Mai, then harassed in the hospital room by a tourist police officer who introduced himself as Tony.

By all means go have a cup of tea with the guy, I won't lose sleep over it, but I heard it direct from the victim and the info is good enough for me.

The only issue left to debate is if he's a coward praying on the easiest pray, or that he's actually high up. I personally suspect the former, which does not mean that he's therefore not a dangerous nutter. In either case he's best avoided, in the same way you avoid scammers, drunks, and other obnoxious pests.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Yes, I remember your story. Nnumber one, you haven't met him. Number two, I doubt the guys story because he is a new farang here, unable to communicate in Thai, and likely unable to completely understand his situation, or another Thai persons involvement...

Just my opinion, of course. I'd like to know the truth here, but I fear that is impossible...

Edited by Ajarn

Yes, I remember your story. Nnumber one, you haven't met him. Number two, I doubt the guys story because he is a new farang here, unable to communicate in Thai, and likely unable to completely understand his situation, or another Thai persons involvement...

Just my opinion, of course. I'd like to know the truth here, but I fear that is impossible...

Number one: My original post was about an older retired guy who has lived in Chiang Mai for at least five years, speaks Thai about as well as I do (which isn't great, but not too bad).

Number two: Chanchao's account is good enough for me. For those who don't know, Chanchao is a former moderator on this forum, is a volunteer with assisting tourists, has long been active on various forums and has lived in Chiang Mai for "donkey's years." How many credentials does a guy need?

Number three: I met Tony once when he was attempting to predate.

Number four: There are now a couple of other first-hand accounts in this thread.

Number five: A well-known magazine editor has commented on this elsewhere and was quoted by me.

Number six: Ajarn, what's with you? Unless people say wonderful things about Thailand, you seem to disagree. This is a pattern I've noted for years, then you trot out the old "Thai bashing" term.

This Tony guy has been at this for a long time and if this thread alerts one possible victim, then it's worthwhile. Not everyone needs a video or sworn affidavit to consider that such a fellow does exist.

Number one: My original post was about an older retired guy who has lived in Chiang Mai for at least five years, speaks Thai about as well as I do (which isn't great, but not too bad).

Number two: Chanchao's account is good enough for me. For those who don't know, Chanchao is a former moderator on this forum, is a volunteer with assisting tourists, has long been active on various forums and has lived in Chiang Mai for "donkey's years." How many credentials does a guy need?

Number three: I met Tony once when he was attempting to predate.

Number four: There are now a couple of other first-hand accounts in this thread.

Number five: A well-known magazine editor has commented on this elsewhere and was quoted by me.

Number six: Ajarn, what's with you? Unless people say wonderful things about Thailand, you seem to disagree. This is a pattern I've noted for years, then you trot out the old "Thai bashing" term.

This Tony guy has been at this for a long time and if this thread alerts one possible victim, then it's worthwhile. Not everyone needs a video or sworn affidavit to consider that such a fellow does exist.

What, are you mad because I'd didn't parrot what you said?? :o

It's simply because this guy is an important person to be aware of here, but I never see anything but unsubstantiated material about him, so I ask about him in an open forum. Sorry if you need something else from me, but what can I say??

What do you mean by, "then you trot out the old "Thai bashing" term" I have never accused anyone of 'Thai bashing'. But, simply by my living here for more than 22 years, I know how actions by some Thais can be easily mistaken, because newbies have only their own culture and home to judge something or someone new (to them)... So, I ask questions, as I have done here. Have you heard anything from me suggesting 'Tony' is safe or dangerous? No, just some questions..

No, of course I'm not mad. I just think that any real detective or journalist worth their salt would find a shocking story here. I know there are all kinds of folks in the world, but who would try to exploit the old or the ill or the vulnerable?

Underlying this for me is also an enduring frustration with the KJ case. I just checked the internet. It will be seven years this August.

No, of course I'm not mad. I just think that any real detective or journalist worth their salt would find a shocking story here. I know there are all kinds of folks in the world, but who would try to exploit the old or the ill or the vulnerable?

Underlying this for me is also an enduring frustration with the KJ case. I just checked the internet. It will be seven years this August.

Come on Jomama, why respond to the 'safe' question?? Why not respond to my question regarding your accusation of me "trotting out the Thai Bashing term " ?? You said that you've noted it "for years". Please prove it with even just one example. I think it is bullsh&t.

I talked to Kirsty Jones's mum last August. Absolutely heart breaking. It is so lovely though that there are so many out here who still care. I am sure that she must appreciate hearing this.

As to Tony. Yes, much of it is gossip. Some of it is also fact - talking to people who have dealt with him. Most of it though, is unsubstantiated and as no one has the guts (me included) to attempt to really look into it. There are some things that are just not worth risking I am afraid.

There are so many great tourist police/volunteers, its a shame that this Tony and his reputation seems to rear its head so often.

I talked to Kirsty Jones's mum last August. Absolutely heart breaking. It is so lovely though that there are so many out here who still care. I am sure that she must appreciate hearing this.

As to Tony. Yes, much of it is gossip. Some of it is also fact - talking to people who have dealt with him. Most of it though, is unsubstantiated and as no one has the guts (me included) to attempt to really look into it. There are some things that are just not worth risking I am afraid.

There are so many great tourist police/volunteers, its a shame that this Tony and his reputation seems to rear its head so often.

Pim,

Thanks. Can you let her Mom know that there are many of us who still care?

Thanks,

Jomama

Come on Jomama, why respond to the 'safe' question?? Why not respond to my question regarding your accusation of me "trotting out the Thai Bashing term " ?? You said that you've noted it "for years". Please prove it with even just one example. I think it is bullsh&t.

Please don't be someone who makes empty accusations.

Sorry guys & gals, I am now closing this thread. We walk on extremely thim ice when discussion of KJ or Tony takes place. There are too many VIP invested interested interests and such discussion can be extremely bad for the health, even for Thai Visa.