5 Year Driving Licence

patrickq

My 1 Year license has recently expired and I need to get the 5 Year. I've checked the Sticky on Licences and been through loads of posts on here and Motor forum, there appear to be differences depending upon where you apply for licence, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has been to the Pattaya or Rayong offices in the last 6 months, for answers to a few questions.

1. Proof of address from Immigration. I am still at the same address, so can I use the letter I got from Jomtien Immigration office last time, just over a year ago?

2. If not, can I apply at Jomtien office again, using Landlord's completed form from over a year ago? The problem is getting landlord to complete a new form quickly.

3. Can I get the proof of address letter from Jomtien while I wait, last time I had to return a day or two later, with an appointment time.

3. I have now got a medical certificate, but have read it is not necessary for 5 Year, would be useful for others to know if it is required.

4. Will I have to do the basic tests for reactions and colour blindness - I found this a bit tricky last time, as one eye is not so strong and found it hard to see which of the 'washed out' coloured circles she was pointing at.

5. Any suggestions for best way/times to get quickly through D/L office ... guess that Monday and Friday are not so good and also around Public Holidays.

Thanks for any information, I'll post what happened when all is done and dusted.

From Sticky:

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

My 1 Year license has recently expired and I need to get the 5 Year. I've checked the Sticky on Licenses and been through loads of posts on here and Motor forum, there appear to be differences depending upon where you apply for license, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has been to the Pattaya or Rayong offices in the last 6 months, for answers to a few questions.

1. Proof of address from Immigration. I am still at the same address, so can I use the letter I got from Jomtien Immigration office last time, just over a year ago?

I renewed 1 year ago, Jomtien Immigration and Chonburi licensing department 18 kms out of Pattaya. My first proof of address was taken and kept by licensing when I applied for my one year license. Both my old car and motocy license was used as address confirmation, did not need anything else but I took a rental agreement just in case.

2. If not, can I apply at Jomtien office again, using Landlord's completed form from over a year ago? The problem is getting landlord to complete a new form quickly.

See above, I think the old agreement should be ok but they didn't need it from me and used the expiring license as the residential address.

3. Can I get the proof of address letter from Jomtien while I wait, last time I had to return a day or two later, with an appointment time.

Yes I was told to come back in 1 hour and it was ready.

3. I have now got a medical certificate, but have read it is not necessary for 5 Year, would be useful for others to know if it is required.

Not required for 5 year renewal.

4. Will I have to do the basic tests for reactions and colour blindness - I found this a bit tricky last time, as one eye is not so strong and found it hard to see which of the 'washed out' coloured circles she was pointing at.

No, no more tests, just present the documents and it will be renewed.

5. Any suggestions for best way/times to get quickly through D/L office ... guess that Monday and Friday are not so good and also around Public Holidays.

Be at Jomtien by 9AM for the immigration residency letter. Then drive out to the licensing department ASAP, I was all finished before 12 midday. Oh yes also be sure to stress you would like a 5 year license as you might only get issued with another 1 year one if you don't ask. I went out there via the Mabprachan area then joined the highway on the correct side of the road. Good luck and let us know if anything has changed. :o

Thanks for any information, I'll post what happened when all is done and dusted.

Yup, bmanly's reply is quite correct. I got mine renewed last November and no problem. However, a Dane sitting next to me was required to get a medical certificate for his renewal! Take along a Thai person, if possible, as it makes things go quicker - and remember to take your own pen with you!

Good luck!

Thanks bmanly for that comprehensive reply and scooter for backup :-) I'm scheduled to go by end of this week, probably Rayong, so will be interesting to see how they perform there. I have the original immigration letter for residence, so will take that along in case. Will post results at weekend.

Thanks bmanly for that comprehensive reply and scooter for backup :-) I'm scheduled to go by end of this week, probably Rayong, so will be interesting to see how they perform there. I have the original immigration letter for residence, so will take that along in case. Will post results at weekend.

Make sure you arrive before 10:00 am. ( recption desk seemed to close then )

I went on a wednesday at 08:45 and was on my way home by 10:30.

Make sure you arrive before 10:00 am. ( recption desk seemed to close then )

I went on a wednesday at 08:45 and was on my way home by 10:30.

I arrived on a Thursday at 4pm and had my new licence by 4.15pm. I acted on the advice someone gave to the Forum following his similar experience.

Avoid holiday times at all costs.