Vitamin D

stumonster

Considering the attitudes of many Thai's toward direct sunlight this article maybe needs to gain some exposure ...... ( intended :o )

Vitamin D casts cancer prevention in new light

MARTIN MITTELSTAEDT

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

April 28, 2007 at 1:20 AM EDT

For decades, researchers have puzzled over why rich northern countries have cancer rates many times higher than those in developing countries — and many have laid the blame on dangerous pollutants spewed out by industry.

But research into vitamin D is suggesting both a plausible answer to this medical puzzle and a heretical notion: that cancers and other disorders in rich countries aren't caused mainly by pollutants but by a vitamin deficiency known to be less acute or even non-existent in poor nations.

Those trying to brand contaminants as the key factor behind cancer in the West are "looking for a bogeyman that doesn't exist," argues Reinhold Vieth, professor at the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto and one of the world's top vitamin D experts. Instead, he says, the critical factor "is more likely a lack of vitamin D."

What's more, researchers are linking low vitamin D status to a host of other serious ailments, including multiple sclerosis, juvenile diabetes, influenza, osteoporosis and bone fractures among the elderly.

Full article at link below

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...eandHealth/home

some further studies if you are interested in reading further

Humble, M. (2007). [Vitamin D deficiency probably more common than earlier apprehended. Prevention and treatment could result in unexpected public health effects]. Läkartidningen, 104(11), 853-7.

Nielsen, LR, & Mosekilde, L. (2007). [Vitamin D and breast cancer]. Ugeskrift for læger, 169(14), 1299-302.

Ondková, S, Macejová, D, & Brtko, J. (2006). Role of dihydroxyvitamin D(3) and its nuclear receptor in novel directed therapies for cancer. General physiology and biophysics, 25(4), 339-53.

Garland, CF, Gorham, ED, Mohr, SB, et al. (2007). Vitamin D and prevention of breast cancer: pooled analysis. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology, 103(3-5), 708-11

Edited by stumonster

All these NEW Discoveries about the value of Vitamin Suppliments makes me laugh.

They spend fortunes on University Double Blind Experiments and come up with conclusions we have known about for yonks!

I have been taking loads of vitamins of all kinds for about 35yrs and been told many times by Doctors that I am wasting my Money "You have the most expensive Urine in the street" one said, "all you really need is a 'Balanced Diet'....."

Now they are singing a different tune.

I am very old and fit as a Butcher's Dog! Thanks to my Vitamin regime.