Thailand's 'Bad Students' demand education reform

snoop1130

The seal is broken now. The only way they can get the genie back in the bottle is if there’s another massacre. But that can’t happen for several reasons; social media is far too prevalent and the internet doesn’t forget. And the world couldn’t be seen to be doing nothing if it happened here. This is Thailand not China. China can get away with it ‘cos they’re too big and most people sadly don’t see the bigger picture. As for Thailand, they’d be just the right size to use to made an example of. 

Looking at what’s happening with Thaksin’s party it does look like deals are being made. Institutions have realized they’re not as infallible as they thought they were and will have to begrudgingly make concessions. I feel this is just insulting the intelligence and simply won’t work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Student campaigners complain that Thailand's school system is geared more towards instilling obedience than education.

It's long been known they are the foundation camps for indoctrination into Thai society, rules have been long standing on how the minors should be treated and taught to obey the masters.

19 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

There was an outbreak of Democracy a few years ago and there was even a second wave of it but Prayuth was able to get it under control and is doing has best to combat any clusters and spikes masks seem to be providing the best protection against free speech and intimidation seems to be controlling any further spread of the dangerous democratic virus.

Very smart post FarFlungFalang, thank you for this! 

Highlights very well how the pandemic is misused to build and protect dictatorships. And in Thailand, all these "zero local case"-lies are made exactly to isolate the country and to protect the status quo.

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The seal is broken now. The only way they can get the genie back in the bottle is if there’s another massacre. But that can’t happen for several reasons; social media is far too prevalent and the internet doesn’t forget. And the world couldn’t be seen to be doing nothing if it happened here. This is Thailand not China. China can get away with it ‘cos they’re too big and most people sadly don’t see the bigger picture. As for Thailand, they’d be just the right size to use to made an example of. 

Looking at what’s happening with Thaksin’s party it does look like deals are being made. Institutions have realized they’re not as infallible as they thought they were and will have to begrudgingly make concessions. I feel this is just insulting the intelligence and simply won’t work. 

Good post as allways rkidlad! 

However, not sure about your second sentence: "The only way they can get the genie back in the bottle is if there’s another massacre". I think the powers-that-be (and with this I do not necessarily mean the army, as they are known to be trigger happy) have another plan at first, to get the genie back in the bottle. And this plan might work. You hint to this in your last paragraph already.

I think they are now negociating a deal with Thaksin, to make his Pheu Thai party part of a civil "government of national unity". Of course Pheu Thai would never not join the current coalition under Prayut. But, the real powers-that-be will let Prayut resign soon, still in October I predict. And then Pheu Thai might be willing to join a civil government, led for example by Anutin and his party. Insiders know the special relations of Anutin and his family. And Thaksin would be willing to play this game to be able to come back home.

In the power game of Thailand, such a "government of national unity" makes absolutely sense and would be a logic step for the elite to protect the political system. Many people especially from the North and Northeast would follow Thaksin and Pheu Thai, and by this would be taken away from the street protests. Hence, it would weaken the protest movement and Move Forward. The hope of the elite is to dry out the protest movement. Additionally this new government would make some concessions, maybe in the school system, to appease the protesters.

At the end however, this likely coming move is only to protect the system and the status quo for the next decades. 

I am quite sure this is what happens now.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:31 PM, Thaiwrath said:

I was led to believe that to get a "greater" democracy, you had to have a democracy in the first place ?

Thailand hasn't got a democracy at this present moment in time !

Without a major upheaval it never will (be a democracy). 

But the times are a'changing. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 3:30 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Is October 14 the next big protest day ? Could be an interesting day.

Just checked the calendar, the 14th is a Wednesday, strange day to have a protest unless the schools are off.

The day doesn't really matter. The date is the important bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Thai_popular_uprising

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_University_massacre

None of the current students were even born then but they know the significance of that date.

I truly hope that the Police/Army/Government/ultra nationalists don't respond with guns and violence, but I think there will be a lot of tension on both sides that day.

• Like 1