(Asking for) best practices/tips for Kindergarten demo class

Hi everyone,

Almost all of my ESL teaching has been with adult learners, but I'm about to interview for a kindergarten homeroom position at an international school.

I love kids, I'm totally comfortable with them and could make fun activities on any given topic, but I'm uncertain what schools specifically look for in a demo class. The subject is math and the topic provided is about how shapes relate to (our) lives.

I have to (also) provide an official lesson plan. Any suggestions, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

One activity I've done a couple of times for demos for kindy positions is do the stretchy fruit routine. You'll need half a dozen pieces of plastic fruit or flashcards. You start by pronouncing the name correctly. Ex: Mango. Have the class repeat after you a few times. Then ask the class "Could we stretch the mango?" Then stretch out the word moving your hands apart as you stretch the word....mmmmmmanananananangogogogogogo. And have the class repeat after you as you do it again. And same with other pieces of fruit...Orange, Apple, Banana, Pineapple....whatever, could also use vegetables. You can clown around a bit as you do this and greatly exaggerate everything.

The beauty of using this for a demo is the kids love it and find it hilarious, the whole class becomes hysterical with laughter. And management observing will love this as 'sanuk' and total class involvement are such an important factors.

I've used it twice for job demos and saw management nodding their heads in approval, and I was instantly offered the job. I also told this to a good friend a few years ago and he instantly got the job.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, TSF said:

One activity I've done a couple of times for demos for kindy positions is do the stretchy fruit routine. You'll need half a dozen pieces of plastic fruit or flashcards. You start by pronouncing the name correctly. Ex: Mango. Have the class repeat after you a few times. Then ask the class "Could we stretch the mango?" Then stretch out the word moving your hands apart as you stretch the word....mmmmmmanananananangogogogogogo. And have the class repeat after you as you do it again. And same with other pieces of fruit...Orange, Apple, Banana, Pineapple....whatever, could also use vegetables. You can clown around a bit as you do this and greatly exaggerate everything.

The beauty of using this for a demo is the kids love it and find it hilarious, the whole class becomes hysterical with laughter. And management observing will love this as 'sanuk' and total class involvement are such an important factors.

I've used it twice for job demos and saw management nodding their heads in approval, and I was instantly offered the job. I also told this to a good friend a few years ago and he instantly got the job.

Good luck.

The subject is math and the topic provided is about how shapes relate to (our) lives.

Even when your demo lesson might work well for specific schools, he/she'd be off-topic.

https://www.eslkidstuff.com/lesson-plans/shapes.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TSF said:

Good luck.

Seems fun! But my subject is math and the topic my demo has to be on is about how shapes relate to (our) lives.

Use objects, blocks etc., to demonstrate what your teaching.

Remember that a written 2 (or any other number) doesn't necessarily mean 2 (as in objects) to a kinder kid, it's just a meaningless squiggle. For kinder kids counting objects is totally new.

Using 2 fingers can help to get the kids to understand counting. start with 1 finger held up and say many times '1 finger', then hold up 2 fingers together, and say (as your pointing to each finger '1 finger, then 2 fingers' and at the same time run a finger from your other hand around the 2 fingers many times to show that your counting them together not individually to reinforce 'together I have 2 fingers held up'.

With little kids sit on the floor with them or on a low stool. Watch all the kids continuously and notice if 1 of the kids seems uncomfortable or whatever. Quickly go to the kid and gently change his/her sitting position to what looks more comfortable and then look at the kid with a smile and say OK. (meaning OK?) Then quickly back to the lesson. 

Also, small kids have a very small attention span. Change the approach to the lesson several times to show the observers that you understand 'short attention span' and therefore your taking a different approach to keep holding their attention.  

With lesson plans - I've had to review the lesson plans of many new uni professors, basically the same principles apply.

e.g.

- The teacher lists several activities on the lesson plan, but nothing more.

- The problem here is that there is no statement of the goal or the specific learning point which must be achieved. An absolute must, and as a secondary point always helps to maintain focus. 

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Use objects, blocks etc., to demonstrate what your teaching.

Remember that a written 2 (or any other number) doesn't necessarily mean 2 (as in objects) to a kinder kid, it's just a squiggle. For kinder kids counting objects is totally new, using 2 fingers can help to get the kids to understand counting. start with 1 finger held up ans saying '1 finger', then hold up 2 fingers together, and say (as your poitning to each finger '1 finger, then 2 fingers and at the same time run a finger from your other hand around the 2 fingers to reinforce 'together I have 2 fingers held up.

With little kids sit n the floor with them or on a low stool. Watch all the kids continuously and notice if 1 of the kids seems uncomfortable or whatever. Quickly go to the kid and gently change his/her sitting position o what looks more comfortable and then look at the kid with a smile and say OK. (meaning OK?)

With lesson plans - I've had to review the lesson plans of many new uni professors, the same principles apply.

e.g.

- The teacher lists several activities on he lesson plan, but nothing more.

- The problem with this is that there is no statement of the goal or the specific learning point which must be achieved. An absolute must, and as a secondary point always helps to maintain focus. 

Good luck.

This is super helpful!! Thanks so much scorecard!

("...it's just a squiggle..." —conceptually this is so clarifying and helpful.)

54 minutes ago, allencraig said:

This is super helpful!! Thanks so much scorecard!

("...it's just a squiggle..." —conceptually this is so clarifying and helpful.)

Sorry for all the errors in my initial post. I thought I had checked it before submitting but obviously not. I'm 75 years old, my short-term memory not so good now-a-days.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sorry for all the errors in my initial post. I thought I had checked it before submitting but obviously not. I'm 75 years old, my short-term memory not so good now-a-days.

Ha ha... I hadn't even noticed. And I'm "only" 54!

• Like 1

Be well dressed and create a few sets of lesson plans with the worksheet ( if so) attached that anybody who observes you can see that you follow your lesson plan.

Divide the demo lesson into parts, start with a song, for example, plenty of shape songs online. 

Speak slowly and clearly, and please understand that little kids' attention span isn't very long. 

End the lesson with some funny shapes, for example, some cartoon characters with funny shaped heads. And I'm confident that the job is yours. 

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Be well dressed and create a few sets of lesson plans with the worksheet ( if so) attached that anybody who observes you can see that you follow your lesson plan.

Divide the demo lesson into parts, start with a song, for example, plenty of shape songs online. 

Speak slowly and clearly, and please understand that little kids' attention span isn't very long. 

End the lesson with some funny shapes, for example, some cartoon characters with funny shaped heads. And I'm confident that the job is yours. 

This is REALLY GOOD advice! Thanks so much. I wish I were as confident as you. ???? wish I had some time to practice, too.

Right now I'm also concerned as there are no copy centers open today (Sunday) and the demo is Monday morning. So I'll have to just draw and cut-out any paper materials I'd attempt to use. Not sure how to provide my lesson plan... 

Edited by allencraig
Add some additional info/thoughts.

depends how old the children are but if in 3/4/5 range suggest you sit on the floor with them at some point in your lesson good way to introduce numbers have them count round the circle divide the circle how many are their now   etc, at 75 you will need to oil your knees or if small chairs sit at same level

1 hour ago, snairb said:

depends how old the children are but if in 3/4/5 range suggest you sit on the floor with them

at some point in your lesson good way to introduce numbers have them count round the circle

divide the circle how many are their now   etc, at 75 you will need to oil your knees or if small chairs sit at same level

Ha ha... I'm 54 and in very good shape, but I've seen those tiny chairs and know enough not to get stuck in them! My moans when escaping might entertain the kids though.

24 minutes ago, allencraig said:

Ha ha... I'm 54 and in very good shape, but I've seen those tiny chairs and know enough not to get stuck in them! My moans when escaping might entertain the kids though.

No worries, make them laugh ( and like you). Young kids and older ones don't like boring lessons; it's got to be fun for them. 

Ok everyone, with your help, here's the outline for my demo. I'll now take this and drop it into my lesson plan template and prepare the materials I'll need. Any thoughts? Gentle criticism is also very welcome!!

Level:  Kindy 3
Subject:  Math
Topic:  "Shapes and How They Relate to Our Life"

Grammar Points Introduced:  square, circle and triangle, Counting to 5, Assorted vocab (pizza, futbol, building, balloon, etc.)

Soft Skills Covered:  Relating shapes to numbers + Recognizing shapes in the world all around them.    

1) Intro/warm up
   - All standing. "Follow me everyone!" Start marching around in a circle, clapping and counting 1—5 with each step. Ensure everyone follows. 
     Ok! Everyone stop and sit on the floor! (In a circle presumably.)
   - Put shapes out (with shape name written on them.) Everyone pick ONE shape! 
     Read out words on my shapes, one at a time, all SS repeat.  Circle... Square, Triangle..
     I say "circles hold your shape up!" I hold up a circle over my head, and only SS with circles holds theirs up and repeats "circle!"
     - Repeat for squares - Squares stand up! 
     - And triangles: triangles spin in place!!)
     (Can switch roles and repeat if going smoothly.)

2) (Still sitting on floor) Give ALL  students ALL shapes (each SS has a circle, square and triangle with names on them)
    - Everyone hold up your... Square! (I hold up my square and all SS copy.)
    - Now everyone hold up your... Circle! (I hold up my circle and all SS copy.)
    - Everyone hold up your... Triangle! (I hold up my triangle and all SS copy.)
    (Can repeat randomly until they always get it correct.)

3) Now let's sing The Shape Song! 
    - "Everyone stand up!" (holding their shapes) I rise only knees. 
    - Announce: "Let's sing together, and when you hear a shape, hold up that shape!" 
   > Play music, and model holding up correct shape when its heard in the song while singing along. Ensure SS copies. 

4) Whew! "Ok, everyone please sit down."
    - "Hold out your hands!" "Wiggle your fingers!" Say "wiggle, wiggle, wiggly wiggle!" Ahhh!
    - Ok! "Hey, how many fingers do we have on each hand?" 
      Count out very explicitly, ensuring SS are following along. "1..  2..  3..  4..  5.. Five fingers!"
     (Do again, but less guided. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5! Yayy! Five fingers!)

5) Now, Let's draw our own shapes!
   > Hand out triangle "connect-the-dots" sheet only.
    - "Can you show me the number 1?" All SS point at number 1 on their sheet.
    - "Now show me number 2!"  "Where is number 3?" Good!
   > Put out BLACK colored pencils. 
    - "Everyone draw a line from number 1 to number 2." (while I model.)
    - "Now everyone draw from 2 to 3." "And now 3 back to 1." What shape did we draw? ("Triangle!")

(Option to color in triangle with ONE color. Maybe too time-consuming though)

- Repeat for square (with 4 dots to connect)
   - Repeat with circle (with 5 dots to connect.)

6) "Everyone stand up and let's shake out our hands!" (Everyone shake like crazy.)
   > While we do this, I or an assistant will collect the colored pencils and worksheets. <
   > Lead into marching in circle again, then stop and drop to sitting on floor.

7) Now, let's find shapes in other things!
    - Hold out card with a ballon drawing. 
      "What is this?" ("Balloon!") "What shape can we see?" ("Circle!") That's right!
    - With fat marker, draw the circle shape over the ballon.
    - Repeat with book (draw the square shape)
    - Repeat with pizza slice (draw the triangle shape)

- Repeat with futbol (draw the circle shape)
    - Repeat with Egyptian pyramid (draw the triangle shape)
    - Repeat with picture in frame (draw the square shape)

- Repeat with pictures that have more than one shape in it. Small truck, ice cream cone, arrow, kite

???? OPTION: 
   > Hand out clean copies of these of these same 10 items and have SS circle the shapes with only supporting help.   
      (Provide black markers, too.) "Now circle all the shapes you can find!" 
      (Too time-consuming?) 

8/9) Everyone stand up. Look for things around the classroom that have a circle, square or triangle on them. 
    Point out a few.
    - THEN ask students to go around and find these shapes in the classroom and point them out.

CONCLUSION

10) Play The Shape Song again (unannounced) start singing and marching in a circle again. 
       When song ends, class ends with all standing in a circle. 
       "Great job everyone! That was fun! Have a great day!"

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, snairb said:

depends how old the children are but if in 3/4/5 range suggest you sit on the floor with them at some point in your lesson good way to introduce numbers have them count round the circle divide the circle how many are their now   etc, at 75 you will need to oil your knees or if small chairs sit at same level

He's not 75, I am 75.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, allencraig said:

Ok everyone, with your help, here's the outline for my demo. I'll now take this and drop it into my lesson plan template and prepare the materials I'll need. Any thoughts? Gentle criticism is also very welcome!!

Grammar Points Introduced:  square, circle and triangle, Counting to 5, Assorted vocab (pizza, futbol, building, balloon, etc.)

Soft Skills Covered:  Relating shapes to numbers + Recognizing shapes in the world all around them.    

1) Intro/warm up
   - All standing. "Follow me everyone!" Start marching around in a circle, clapping and counting 1—5 with each step. Ensure everyone follows. 
     Read out words on my shapes, one at a time, all SS repeat.  Circle... Square, Triangle..
     I say "circles hold your shape up!" I hold up a circle over my head, and only SS with circles holds theirs up and repeats "circle!"

2) (Still sitting on floor) Give ALL  students ALL shapes (each SS has a circle, square and triangle with names on them)

- Announce: "Let's sing together, and when you hear a shape, hold up that shape!" 
   > Play music, and model holding up correct shape when its heard in the song while singing along. Ensure SS copies. 

- "Hold out your hands!" "Wiggle your fingers!" Say "wiggle, wiggle, wiggly wiggle!" Ahhh!
      Count out very explicitly, ensuring SS are following along. "1..  2..  3..  4..  5.. Five fingers!"

- "Now everyone draw from 2 to 3." "And now 3 back to 1." What shape did we draw? ("Triangle!")

6) "Everyone stand up and let's shake out our hands!" (Everyone shake like crazy.)
   > While we do this, I or an assistant will collect the colored pencils and worksheets. <

- Repeat with pictures that have more than one shape in it. Small truck, ice cream cone, arrow, kite

???? OPTION: 
   > Hand out clean copies of these of these same 10 items and have SS circle the shapes with only supporting help.   
      (Too time-consuming?) 

8/9) Everyone stand up. Look for things around the classroom that have a circle, square or triangle on them. 
    Point out a few.
    - THEN ask students to go around and find these shapes in the classroom and point them out.

CONCLUSION

10) Play The Shape Song again (unannounced) start singing and marching in a circle again. 

Quote from above:

"Soft Skills Covered:  Relating shapes to numbers + Recognizing shapes in the world all around them."  Can I suggest you delete the final word 'them',

and replace it with '4 to 5 year old students' (or whatever age is correct).

• Like 1

I was all about being the clown with kids..I got a 20 bt Picachu doll from the baht shop and used that..I would say Picca-picca--picca--CHU and lob it to a kid..the kid that catches it gets a question..when they answer right they get to throw it back to me...repeat...worked well..others asked to borrow my picca pal!

I had a lesson on Time..I hung a clock around my neck like Flavor Flav and rapped some stuff about time, id bring up a kid to the front and let them wear the clock and rap out the answer..all about making it FUN

I remembered my cool teachers growing up....if the kids like u they listen..my teacher said my methods were def different but thais are all about fun-sanook---if thais arent having fun at anything you have lost them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Can I emphasize the well dressed comment and especially clean shoes (and clean socks because you will probably take your shoes off. In fact new socks would be a good option). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I was all about being the clown with kids..I got a 20 bt Picachu doll from the baht shop and used that..I would say Picca-picca--picca--CHU and lob it to a kid..the kid that catches it gets a question..when they answer right they get to throw it back to me...repeat...worked well..others asked to borrow my picca pal!

I had a lesson on Time..I hung a clock around my neck like Flavor Flav and rapped some stuff about time, id bring up a kid to the front and let them wear the clock and rap out the answer..all about making it FUN

I remembered my cool teachers growing up....if the kids like u they listen..my teacher said my methods were def different but thais are all about fun-sanook---if thais arent having fun at anything you have lost them

But beware of throwing things to people, in any situation in Thailand (except of course team sports) throwing things is seen as rude, unacceptable culturally and low class behavior.

It's always possible someone or many people in the demonstration observation team are sensitive to these points. And always possible one person / some will look for any negative they can throw at foreigners.

There was a case perhaps 6 or 7 years back at an immigration office. An officer threw a cheap ballpoint pen to a foreigner who used it and threw it back, just 2 or 3 feet. All hell broke loose and a fine because the foreigner was being insulting to a government officer.

OP Update: I facilitated the demo class today. There was 12 more students than I anticipated so I didn't have enough materials. The schools has offers two assistants/co-teachers normally, but they held back to "see how I would do".

But, my lesson plan was tight and I managed to follow my own plan despite being short on resources. In the end they said they were impressed and offered me the job. 

Not sure yet if I'll take the position, but in any case THANK YOU all who offered their input. It's greatly appreciated and helped me prepare quite a bit! I WAS wearing new socks, btw.

16 minutes ago, allencraig said:

OP Update: I facilitated the demo class today. There was 12 more students than I anticipated so I didn't have enough materials. The schools has offers two assistants/co-teachers normally, but they held back to "see how I would do".

But, my lesson plan was tight and I managed to follow my own plan despite being short on resources. In the end they said they were impressed and offered me the job. 

Not sure yet if I'll take the position, but in any case THANK YOU all who offered their input. It's greatly appreciated and helped me prepare quite a bit! I WAS wearing new socks, btw.

Good news and congratulations.

From here best of luck.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

But beware of throwing things to people, in any situation in Thailand (except of course team sports) throwing things is seen as rude, unacceptable culturally and low class behavior.

It's always possible someone or many people in the demonstration observation team are sensitive to these points. And always possible one person / some will look for any negative they can throw at foreigners.

There was a case perhaps 6 or 7 years back at an immigration office. An officer threw a cheap ballpoint pen to a foreigner who used it and threw it back, just 2 or 3 feet. All hell broke loose and a fine because the foreigner was being insulting to a government officer.

It was a round stuffed animal..the kids wanted that thing as if it was an iphone, none of the teachers. let alone my teacher said anything about it, I was told in class about the head and feet....but will make a note

Can I forward this to the Immigration officers at Bkk airport and land borders in regards to my passport?

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

It was a round stuffed animal..the kids wanted that thing as if it was an iphone, none of the teachers. let alone my teacher said anything about it, I was told in class about the head and feet....but will make a note

Can I forward this to the Immigration officers at Bkk airport and land borders in regards to my passport?

What are you talking about??

On 10/4/2020 at 3:18 PM, allencraig said:

1) Intro/warm up

???? OPTION: 
      (Too time-consuming?) 

Point out a few.

CONCLUSION

Just do it! Best of luck! 

I did something similar, with a football..ask a question, throw the ball to them, etc..a 12 yo threw it as hard as he could at a girl...hit her squarely in the nose.  I even recall she kind of had a big jewish beak, so it may have actually been a hate crime.  That was 1996..60 usd per day..never really got easier, but the pay did improve, unlike here.