Harvey Weinstein charged with six more counts of sexual assault in Los Angeles

rooster59

Harvey Weinstein charged with six more counts of sexual assault in Los Angeles

2020-10-02T172458Z_1_LYNXMPEG911VW_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-HARVEY-WEINSTEIN.JPG

Harvey Weinstein departs New York Criminal Court following another day of jury deliberations in his sexual assault trial in the Manhattan borough of New York City, New York, U.S., February 21, 2020. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Picture

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has been charged with six more counts of forcible sexual assault in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles District Attorney said on Friday.

The charges involve two victims and stem from incidents that occurred more than a decade ago, District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement.

Weinstein, who was convicted earlier this year in New York of sex crimes, now faces a total of four counts each of forcible rape and forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery by restraint and one count of sexual penetration by use of force, involving five victims for crimes that span from 2004 to 2013 in the Los Angeles area, Lacey said.

Representatives for Weinstein, who is serving 23 years in prison in New York, had no immediate comment on the new charges. Weinstein has always denied having nonconsensual sex with anyone.

If convicted as charged in Los Angeles, the once powerful Hollywood mogul faces up to 140 years to life in state prison, according to Friday's statement.

"I am thankful to the first women who reported these crimes and whose courage have given strength to others to come forward,” Lacey said in a statement.

"The willingness of these latest victims to testify against a powerful man gives us the additional evidence we need to build a compelling criminal case," she added.

Weinstein, 68, was originally charged in January by Los Angeles prosecutors with sexually assaulting two women during separate incidents in 2013.

His conviction in New York for sexual assault and rape in a criminal case was hailed as a victory for the #MeToo movement against sexual misconduct by powerful men.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles have initiated a request for temporary custody of Weinstein from New York. An extradition hearing is set for December.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant and Lisa Richwine; editing by Diane Craft and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-03

The guy's despicable, and probably needs to spend the rest of his life in prison. 

But they really need to implement and enforce a statute of limitation on crimes like that.  If only to incent the victims to report the crimes earlier and protect the dozens (hundreds?) of women he's victimized since 2004 (or much earlier, I suspect).

Waiting 16 years to report the crime also smacks of ambulance chasers hoping to get in on the lawsuit lottery that's bound to follow on, with $$$ millions to be disbursed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, impulse said:

The guy's despicable, and probably needs to spend the rest of his life in prison. 

But they really need to implement and enforce a statute of limitation on crimes like that.  If only to incent the victims to report the crimes earlier and protect the dozens (hundreds?) of women he's victimized since 2004 (or much earlier, I suspect).

Waiting 16 years to report the crime also smacks of ambulance chasers hoping to get in on the lawsuit lottery that's bound to follow on, with $$$ millions to be disbursed.

I totally disagree!!! There shouldn’t be a statue of limitations on certain crimes like rape and murder at all!!!

By the way, the longer you wait as a victim to report the crime the more difficult it becomes for the victim to prove it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacovl46 said:

I totally disagree!!! There shouldn’t be a statue of limitations on certain crimes like rape and murder at all!!!

By the way, the longer you wait as a victim to report the crime the more difficult it becomes for the victim to prove it! 

why should rape be on the same level as murder?

there are much more horrible crimes that do carry statutes of limitation.

The guy's a grub, forcing myself on women is something I would never do. Much more enjoyable if they have a desire for cooperation.

He's a pretty good illustration of Lord Acton's maxim power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

hard to fathom how this could of went on for so long and really not even be a secret, speaks volumes on male attitudes and the plight of women worldwide..

It speaks volumes on Hollywood's attitude in general more than just "males' attitudes".  Plenty of hypocritical women knew exactly what was going on for years and have only recently jumped on the virtue signaling bandwagon.

What's the "plight of women worldwide" that you reference?

Edited by Cod Face
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, tgw said:

So your wife, girlfriend or daughter gets raped, and you think that's not a horrible crime---wow some upbringing.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, tgw said:

If you have to ask that question you’ll probably never get it anyway. 

Rape and murder were just two examples. Feel free to add to the list! 

I feel sorry for the chap.

What was the point of being a 'media mogul' if you couldn't use your position to leverage a few attractive women into bed?

The women couldn't have been that upset if it took them 20 years to get around to reporting him.

Most women I meet are complaining within seconds of any imagined slight or perceived bad behaviour.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I feel sorry for the chap.

What was the point of being a 'media mogul' if you couldn't use your position to leverage a few attractive women into bed?

The women couldn't have been that upset if it took them 20 years to get around to reporting him.

Most women I meet are complaining within seconds of any imagined slight or perceived bad behaviour.

after money perhaps ....