Bringing my 2 kids to live in France

Lolothai

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are not getting along anymore, I desperately dream about getting rid of her and her family. My dream could become real soon, she has agreed to let me go to France with our 2 little girls, 4 and 5 years old. She is ok to sign the documents for them to pass the immigration.

I don't have job but my family already rented a house for me. I'm completely disconnected from France since 10 years already.

My 2 girls have Thai passport and in few days I will go to the embassy to make French passport.

Does anyone know what I could expect at the immigration, knowing that the mother is ok.

I can't find the required documents for this specific case on the French embassy website but I will ask in same time that I make the French passport.

15 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

Does anyone know what I could expect at the immigration, knowing that the mother is ok.

Signed copy of her house book and ID, along with her phone number.

(short note on her ID copy giving permission for the girls to leave)

Their birth certificates as well if it's new passports.

Very best way is to get mom to come to the airport and wave the kids through immigration.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

I understand that the two girls have both nationalities, which helps a lot.

With the signed letter from their mother, there shouldn't be a problem, although they will probably be interrogated by an immigration officer, and should be prepared for that.

Otherwise, the real problems will start when arriving in the French basket case.

Last time I was there I was not even able to open a bank account because I didn't pay income tax there!

Basically, this country is all about taxes.

As for a job, unless you are independent worker, forget about getting hired.

Finally, don't forget the hazmat suits (covid) and the anoraks (winter already started in September).

Good luck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

With the signed letter from their mother, there shouldn't be a problem, although they will probably be interrogated by an immigration officer, and should be prepared for that.

Otherwise, the real problems will start when arriving in the French basket case.

Last time I was there I was not even able to open a bank account because I didn't pay income tax there!

Finally, don't forget the hazmat suits (covid) and the anoraks (winter already started in September).

Good luck!

Damn you're right.

I will be a burden for my family for some times until I get all the situation straight, especially about taxes. Job is going to be hard to find as a single father, my experience is essentially abroad and there is no job in France in my field. Fortunately France is quite nice with unemployed people and I still prefer to be unemployed with a small allowance from the government than to work and feed the family of my future ex wife, I buy stuff they break them all the time.

Winter however is going to be a very hard slap in the face.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Very best way is to get mom to come to the airport and wave the kids through immigration.

Thanks, indeed you are right, getting her waving goodbye would be best, I'm not sure she will accept because it's really hard on her. She said she wants to cut all contact to start to forget. This could be hard on her feelings.

2 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Fortunately France is quite nice with unemployed people and I still prefer to be unemployed with a small allowance from the government 

Not so easy.

I went there (Pole Emploi) just to get a feel and they won't help, especially if you are past forty.

They just look at you as if you were a guy who just received a death sentence.

A better way is to ask directly for the RSA, which is not much, but still better than the zero provided by unemployment...and you might also get some lodging help.

When it's all said and done, the best would be to NOT go to France and look for a job either in Thailand, or in a nearby country.

just wanted to wish you good luck.

i did the same, almost the same, but many years ago now.

don't think i can add much to what's been offered already.

i didn't have the mothers permission, but didn't have anything to say i couldn't leave with them either. i did do a couple of visa trips to Laos with them without the mother to test the water so to speak, and to get some stamps in their passports. 

on the big day returning to europe, sailed through immigration alone with 

2 children, then aged 3 and 5. no problems.

been back to thailand with them a few times for holidays, and never a problem. just get asked their date of birth at either end.

you seem to have done everything by the book so far, can't see you having anything to worry about.

all the best to your 2 daughters too on their new life in france.

biggest problem i have is divorce. thats another story though.

Edited by jastheace
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jastheace said:

just wanted to wish you good luck.

i did the same, almost the same, but many years ago now.

don't think i can add much to what's been offered already.

i didn't have the mothers permission, but didn't have anything to say i couldn't leave with them either. i did do a couple of visa trips to Laos with them without the mother to test the water so to speak, and to get some stamps in their passports. 

on the big day returning to europe, sailed through immigration alone with 

2 children, then aged 3 and 5. no problems.

been back to thailand with them a few times for holidays, and never a problem. just get asked their date of birth at either end.

you seem to have done everything by the book so far, can't see you having anything to worry about.

all the best to your 2 daughters too on their new life in france.

biggest problem i have is divorce. thats another story though.

Thanks, they don't have French passport yet but they have their thai passport, I took an appointment and the earliest was 22 October then it requires 1 month to get the passport, it's way too much time. Could I go with their Thai passport and a visa? I'm trying to find out how to get this one, seems you need to pass by TLS

3 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Thanks, they don't have French passport yet but they have their thai passport, I took an appointment and the earliest was 22 October then it requires 1 month to get the passport, it's way too much time. Could I go with their Thai passport and a visa? I'm trying to find out how to get this one, seems you need to pass by TLS

they can leave with thai passport, but will need a visa to enter france i believe. we left thailand on their thai passports, and entered the UK on UK passports. I had a lot more time than you it seems. as i said, even did 2 x 90 day visa runs visa runs with them without mother as a test. I know you say you don't have that much time, but would be better than risk not being able to board yr flight because of visa issues, then risking them being in france without a visa, you being responsible for them, may land you in trouble. i hope you've registered births with french embassy already. i assume you have if you've looked into getting passports.

how long would a visa take to get? how long will it last for? how do you extend it if naturalisation takes too long?

as i mentioned, AFTER passports or visa are done, get divorced. takes no time, costs about a euro. otherwise this may haunt you for a long time, as it is doing for me.

edit... visa issues i mentioned. that is needing a return flight for them even though you're not planning on returning, to satisfy visa conditions.

Edited by jastheace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jastheace said:

they can leave with thai passport, but will need a visa to enter france i believe. we left thailand on their thai passports, and entered the UK on UK passports. I had a lot more time than you it seems. as i said, even did 2 x 90 day visa runs visa runs with them without mother as a test. I know you say you don't have that much time, but would be better than risk not being able to board yr flight because of visa issues, then risking them being in france without a visa, you being responsible for them, may land you in trouble. i hope you've registered births with french embassy already. i assume you have if you've looked into getting passports.

how long would a visa take to get? how long will it last for? how do you extend it if naturalisation takes too long?

as i mentioned, AFTER passports or visa are done, get divorced. takes no time, costs about a euro. otherwise this may haunt you for a long time, as it is doing for me.

edit... visa issues i mentioned. that is needing a return flight for them even though you're not planning on returning, to satisfy visa conditions.

Agree with all that.

The OP probably has a serious reason for rushing out of Thailand, but it could lend him into serious trouble.

Getting visas for France may not prove to be much faster than getting French passports, and will certainly not be convenient for the future.

20 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Good luck!

if you hot any sense give France s miss..hell hole of corruption..forget Thailand as far as that goes the french win hands down if i could support my kids here all 3 would be out if Macrons grasp tomorrow...if you love your kids take them somewhere else the Republic is not what it was .. believe me   good luck

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I can't find the required documents for this specific case on the French embassy website but I will ask in same time that I make the French passport.

You will need the French passport (only) to enter Schengen, i.e. France; that should not be a problem.

You are going to check-in to the flight using the French passport (only), as your two small daughters have no visa for Schengen.

You are going to use your Thai passport (only) to leave Thailand through immigration, as your daughters have no entry stamps. If your daughters have the same family name as you, you might not be asked any questions, but as they are rather young, you should be prepared at this stage.

You need at document issued by the amphor district office – same office as issues ID-cards – giving you permission to travel with your children alone, without the mother. For that purpose you need both your wife and yourself to be present at the amphor office – you'll need passport(s), ID-card, and birth certificates for the children, but check with your local amphor exactly what documents they need, and how photo-copies are going to mede, as some offices might not accept photocopies in a wrong format – they will issue a letter immediately. I cannot remember if I paid a small fee of 100-200 baht, when I had a letter for my daughter, but it's a simple procedure, if you bring the mother there. I don't know if you need a letter with permission for each child, or one letter can include two names/permissions.

Here is an example of my letter from 2018 (names has been blurred by me)...

734155474_Amphor-travel-letter-2018copy.jpg.de37444218a413b16c99068dfd421653.jpg

I have never been asked for the letter/documentation in Thai immigration, but my daughter was older, 12 years, when the two of us traveled alone for the first time (her mother had no problem travelling alone with her, without my permission...????). My daughter has same family-name as me. Other users have also posted that they have been able to leave Thailand with a minor without being asked questions, but if you are challenged without approved/proper documentation, you might miss your flight.

Wish you good luck...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, bringing the mom to the airport immigration together with proper documentation is also a possibility...????

thank you for all your answers, she says she doesn't want to see the children anymore as it is too hard on her heart to leave them, which I can understand.

That mean she won't come to the airport and she won't go anywhere with me.

I have no money left, we live here with my mother support, school is expensive with the fuel needed to bring them there too, actually very cheap but without salary and once the budget depleted everything became suddenly expensive.

She left the house and work in a massage parlor, she says the room she has to rent cost her money and she needs some for her son, so far I have paid everything for him.

She wants me gone fast, to come back to her house (that I paid with land car and everything else).

I contacted the service that delivered the French visa, they said it would be faster and easier for me to get the French passport. I have indeed registered births at the French embassy they are on my family book and they have my family name.

I'm trying to find an official form showing that she agrees to let me take the kids, I can also show the facebook conversation.

It's extremely stressful, I just hope she won't change her mind. They have no future here, I think she knows it. I keep offering her to go to France too but we would have to live together at the beginning, my sister bought a house for us and we can pay rent once everything is settled. The city is a quiet and quite rich, school is 5 min walking from the house. I would obviously much prefer to go without her as she will keep making problems and cost a lot extra money.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

better have an official paper from amphur that she gives permission, signed, etc..

all the rest is fluf and could make you lose expensive tickets or worse, abduction charges

and you can leave without paying the EX a serious amount of money ?

Look likes she is ok to go the amphoe, so we will try to get the paper shown by khunper.

I have also a lot of screenshot of facebook, even some from few days ago where she said she would kill me or make me kill or kill all the family... poison us, call the cops to take me out of the house etc, it was mainly to hurt me and she knows the only way to hurt me it's to hurt the kids.

She get the land, the house, the car and all the furniture that I paid. There is no money left so I suppose the serious amount of money is this. I can understand that if I was a rich guy she would squeeze all she could. I don't think anyway she is too greedy or really has bad intentions, I think her ego took a hit. If I was a Thai man and the law were fair she would not act like this but the power she got or the lack of power given to farang father is too tempting.

If she was that bad she would simply gives the kids to her trashy mother (this one however is definitively bad) living at 5 in one dumpy room. She knows that they have a much brighter future in France where I can take care of them well.

When we met 7 years ago she abandoned her son to come live with me. I told her she could bring him, she was crying every day for 8 months until she got her son back.

She is not always very bright and I'm worried that between now and the time I take the flight she understands what are the consequences of her decision. Once they are in France I think it would be too much work for her to change her mind.

Obviously for me it would be such a relief as I can't do anything properly here, when I go to work I always have to solve the problems that she and her family are making.

I dream at night that I'm at the airport in France with my kids and we are safe from her.

lucky you, my ex keeps the child prisoner in thailand, till the child can apply for a THAI passport at the age of 20...

my ex-wife does not pay for anything, does not care for the child, does not visit, the family does not visit ONCE ...

the plan of my ex last year was:  just before it was time for my visa extension, she left the family home... I could not go to immigration as a married man, because they need the WIFE for the extension and signed copies

I could not divorce asap enough, but my ex wanted : the house, half of my savings, the child, alimony for herself, for the child, and me out of the country at the same time

Immigration in Samut Prakarn told me coldly:  go back to your country

when I said : I am the only one taking care of my child, cannot reach soon to be ex wife, child was also blocked on ex-wife phone, could not be bothered...

they said: don't care, go get a tourist visa, but than sarcasticly told me: who will do the TM30, as ex-wife is owner

guess what happened after divorce :  no visa extension based of being a parent of a thai child, because my ex did not give copy of id cart, tabien baan and.... no TM 30 and immigration then asked on top of that:  CHANOTE + presence of the owner (ex-wife) house...   

VISA DENIED

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

Look likes she is ok to go the amphoe, so we will try to get the paper shown by khunper.

I have also a lot of screenshot of facebook, even some from few days ago where she said she would kill me or make me kill or kill all the family... poison us, call the cops to take me out of the house etc, it was mainly to hurt me and she knows the only way to hurt me it's to hurt the kids.

Getting the amphor-letter asap might be the best in your situation, and then get out.

You can be granted full custody for the children, but that need to my knowledge to be done within the court-system – sometimes a bit of money helps – I however have no experience, and I haven't carefully memorized what others have posted about it, as it has luckily never been actual for me. You might find some useful information in Thaivisa's family-related forum.

Your communication screenshots probably would mean nothing at immigration – but might be useful in court – legal travel documents are it, i.e. passport and legalized permission.

Sorry to hear about your situation, hope you'll succeed with a positive solution.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Lolothai said:

She get the land, the house, the car and all the furniture that I paid. There is no money left so I suppose the serious amount of money is this. I can understand that if I was a rich guy she would squeeze all she could. I don't think anyway she is too greedy or really has bad intentions, I think her ego took a hit. If I was a Thai man and the law were fair she would not act like this but the power she got or the lack of power given to farang father is too tempting.

If she was that bad she would simply gives the kids to her trashy mother (this one however is definitively bad) living at 5 in one dumpy room. She knows that they have a much brighter future in France where I can take care of them well.

When we met 7 years ago she abandoned her son to come live with me. I told her she could bring him, she was crying every day for 8 months until she got her son back.

She is not always very bright and I'm worried that between now and the time I take the flight she understands what are the consequences of her decision. Once they are in France I think it would be too much work for her to change her mind.

Obviously for me it would be such a relief as I can't do anything properly here, when I go to work I always have to solve the problems that she and her family are making.

I dream at night that I'm at the airport in France with my kids and we are safe from her.

I think you better help yourself, if you are married and have two daughters to support you better start selling your car and house in Thailand before you go back to France and ask for a divorce so you get at least halfway through of your money.

Thanks for all your answers. Yesterday we went to the amphoe to get the permission for me to take the kids but the system was locked so they told us to come back later. Before this my wife told me she found a new job with a much better salary, after everything settled down she accepted to come in France. We agreed to leave in March and she also agreed to make the permission for me to leave with the kids in case of a fight between us. The house that my sister bought is around 200 m2 with 2 floors, only one floor is really well arranged but the other part is already livable so in case of conflict we can divide the house in 2 the time to find another place.

She is also ok to sell the car and most of furniture but after few months over there to make sure that everything is alright.