Whats is the fee for a qualified EFL TEACHER to charge Thai students for private tuitions

Nout

A lot depends on where you are in Thailand and what level you are teaching.  In Bangkok, I wouldn't charge less than 1,500 an hour for an IELTS student and 2,000 baht an hour is not uncommon.  My school charges 2,700 an hour for 1:1 IELTS classes, so I'm cheap!

• Sad 1

I think the standard ESL qualification in Thailand takes less than a month and does not require a university degree. 

The qualifications I would use for hiring a teacher would be years of experience teaching the subject and level of specialty.

For a native English speaker to teach conversational English with no experience (ESL qualification irrelevant), you could probably get 400 baht per hour

Based on your question, I assume you have no experience teaching. You might offer your services to a tutoring center at many of the shopping malls to gain experience

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A lot depends on where you are in Thailand and what level you are teaching.  In Bangkok, I wouldn't charge less than 1,500 an hour for an IELTS student and 2,000 baht an hour is not uncommon.  My school charges 2,700 an hour for 1:1 IELTS classes, so I'm cheap!

Wow that much an hour more than you would earn in most places around the world doing any job

On 10/5/2020 at 9:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

Just curious. How does the work permit work out for that. Also how long does it take to acquire an ESL qualification.

I have a BA Honours,  an MA in linguistics and CALL and a CertTefla.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:07 PM, sateuk said:

Wow that much an hour more than you would earn in most places around the world doing any job

Well the BC pay their IELTS Examiners about 80 $ an hour for testing

On 10/6/2020 at 6:04 PM, maprao said:

Where I live 80% of people who have a job  get 300 to 400 baht a day. 

You can charge what you like. Getting students is the hard part.

One student paying 400 a day! I would be thinking about 1000 baht an an hour or 1500 for a group of 3

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Asking for advice for working illegally is probably against some forum rule.

You are just presuming I don't have a work permit and by your attitude represent much of what is wrong with contributors to this forum who use these forums to externalise your inner flawed character, negatively and depression. If I needed advice on acquiring a work permit I would have asked. You are not a moderator so shut up and stop thinking the worst of people.

Edited by Nout
  • Like 1

There are numerous threads here about how much to pay an agent to get a volunteer visa without volunteering. Obviously the agent bribing government officials would be required.

But the question about a reasonable rate for teaching would require a lot information that has not been provided. 

The rates in Bangkok would be higher than the rates in the countryside. The rates for conversational English would be less than the rates for test preparation. 
The qualifications for a teacher preparing students for international exams (IELTS TODEL) would be extensive knowledge and practice in exams and their scoring.

Someone with no experience teaching English before as compared to someone with many years experience teaching English would also change the rates.

someone with no experience teaching English before as compared to someone with many years experience teaching English would also change the rates.

But if you have a good sales pitch and can convince parents to give you money, then the rate depends on your ability to sell yourself

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

There are numerous threads here about how much to pay an agent to get a volunteer visa without volunteering. Obviously the agent bribing government officials would be required.

But the question about a reasonable rate for teaching would require a lot information that has not been provided. 

The rates in Bangkok would be higher than the rates in the countryside. The rates for conversational English would be less than the rates for test preparation. 
The qualifications for a teacher preparing students for international exams (IELTS TODEL) would be extensive knowledge and practice in exams and their scoring.

Someone with no experience teaching English before as compared to someone with many years experience teaching English would also change the rates.

someone with no experience teaching English before as compared to someone with many years experience teaching English would also change the rates.

But if you have a good sales pitch and can convince parents to give you money, then the rate depends on your ability to sell yourself

Please address the original question. Your remarks about higher rates in Bangkok are not correct and town/countryside is unlikely. Yes test preparation might cost more but we know there is no such thing as conversation class if learning is to take place. You can not isolate speaking from listening.