True or 3BB

vogie

9 hours ago, vogie said:

I think my choice has to be between True or 3BB due to where I live, but the question is......is there any noticeable difference between 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps, if there are, what are those differences? All I do is watch tv and do not play any internet games etc.

If you just watch TV and surf, you don't need faster than 100Mbit/s. What you need is a stable connection. That's where the differences are, and it's also depends on location when comparing ISP's. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vogie said:

I would say it's about 50/50 between True and 3 BB. But at 100 Mbps is that not suffient?

Browsing is no problem. Most sites will deliver only slower speeds independent of the speed that you have. You want to watch TV? For streaming in HD 5 Mbps are enough. For streaming in UHD 15 Mbps are enough - Netflix recommends 25 Mbps. 

The only problem could arise if you have many other users watching videos at the same time or users downloading many things from very fast servers when you are watching videos (mostly their download speed is limited anyway). If you have 5 users watching different Netflix videos in UHD at the same time it might still work. But many more might be a problem. 

Very high speeds are used for instance by hotels or companies where you have many users at the same time. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Doesn't 3BB have a package that includes TV and films ?

..... another 35bht/month for HBO Go.

Always had great service from 3BB.

One day my rabbit decided to chew through the optical cable, fixed next day, no charge.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

..... another 35bht/month for HBO Go.

Always had great service from 3BB.

One day my rabbit decided to chew through the optical cable, fixed next day, no charge.

Perhaps you should let it watch programs like Watership Down or Peter Rabbit, or find it a friendly cat to play with.

Don't use such programs as HBO myself.
For news I listen to BBC radio, Sky News is mainly weather reports, Al Jazeera is ok.
Prefer to download tv series ( if available (( YT and DM )) that way if WiFi is down or power out I at least have something to watch.     I also don't have to stay up late just watch a series.
I am from UK but there are many good "other" country tv series with subs or dubbed.
Of course there is always books !

My wife cancelled our True Acc on Friday and opened a 3BB Acc, the True mechanic arrived promptly at 10am on Saturday and removed our True broadband and the 3BB mechanic was due to turn up on Saturday afternoon to install 3BB but failed to turn up. Of course they don't work on a Sunday so they have informed us he will visit tomorrow morning, luckely I can access the internet through my wifes phone.

On 10/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, vogie said:

In all honesty zib I don't know, any info about them?

Sorry for slow answer. I switched all to AIS. Been down like 2 times in 2 years.

If you also have AIS on your phone there's some packages to bring down your total costs.

In terms of latency AIS blows 3BB out of the water. For international speeds is trickier since it depends from source to source.

Actually. Let me hook you up with some speedtests. Give me a few minutes.

7 minutes ago, zib said:

Sorry for slow answer. I switched all to AIS. Been down like 2 times in 2 years.

If you also have AIS on your phone there's some packages to bring down your total costs.

In terms of latency AIS blows 3BB out of the water. For international speeds is trickier since it depends from source to source.

Actually. Let me hook you up with some speedtests. Give me a few minutes.

Spoke too soon. Seems speedtest.net started limiting to local servers only so cant test globally.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:50 AM, robblok said:

I had an outage recently from 3bb (whole area affected) it happens. Soon i am going to get a WIFI dongle and connect it to my router to have a backup connection. Just have to find the right dongle that is compatible with modem. I know what one but they are a bit hard to get.

Why need a dongle?

When home internet is down, connect your smartphone to your PC or router, and use USB hotspot.

It's exactly the same, only you don't need an extra SIM

On 10/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, robblok said:

To be honest i tried it with my phone. I got some DHCP or routing problem. I havent really looked further in it.

But it the setup was easy. Put phone on a cable in usb tethering and then activate in the router. Unfortunately i think got the routing problem. This was with DTAC. Normally it should work. I might trawl the internet a bit more find a solution. 

It would be the cheaper and easier way. The router has the option so it should work. 

When you connect phone to PC or router, you need to go into network settings in Windows, and disable local network adapter, because the phone will create its own network

9 hours ago, Susco said:

When you connect phone to PC or router, you need to go into network settings in Windows, and disable local network adapter, because the phone will create its own network

What do you exactly mean disable the lan adapter. That would be pointless as the router is connected to the phone.

I get what you mean about a dongle and connecting the phone. However so far I havent gotten it to work well. 

I can always share the phone as an hotspot and then connect. The reason I was thinking of a dongle and a years internet is just the fact that i use it for a business. I don't really like to mess around too much. 

Sure i can get it to work, i would be really stupid if i could not. But not yet as seamless as I want it to work. Might talk with the neighbors as they got an other provider. We might share in case of outage.

My problem was just if you connect your phone to router in usb tethering and setup as fallback then i get a routing error. I havent really looked into it as this month is one of my more busy months work wise. I am sure i can get it to work eventually. I just like fast and easy swaps without doing too much.

Closing an adapter is something I have done in the past and it works when you use the phone as an hotspot. Though id like it to work without that. 

Sorry for capturing this thread, but a question regarding True:

Internet in my new condo is only covered by true, therefore i need to go with them.

I just want internet, no SIM or TV, but it seems their internet packages are quite expensive and i cant find any promotion at the moment (i found this but it seems to be expired https://www.truesuperfiberofficial.com/).

I found some resellers (for example https://www.fiberdealer.com/special-offer 200/200 for 299thb) but im not sure if those resellers are reliable? Better go with true?

3 hours ago, Buuge said:

Sorry for capturing this thread, but a question regarding True:

Internet in my new condo is only covered by true, therefore i need to go with them.

I just want internet, no SIM or TV, but it seems their internet packages are quite expensive and i cant find any promotion at the moment (i found this but it seems to be expired https://www.truesuperfiberofficial.com/).

I found some resellers (for example https://www.fiberdealer.com/special-offer 200/200 for 299thb) but im not sure if those resellers are reliable? Better go with true?

Try this link: https://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/package?ln=en

I use True 200/200Mbps and stream like a madman, NFL, MLB, iptv 24/7, NHL ice hockey, Netflix, (very little torrents) the thai's in the house are on youtube 24/7 and the connection rocks for 600 baht/month, no hiccups, buffering, outages. The trick is to use a decent router and tinker with DNS settings which seem to open web pages faster and you can't really open web pages much faster with gigabit connection. Also true supplies an iptv box which includes about 100 channels and also I get a SIM card and 3/4G data all for 600 baht monthly. hard to beat that.

Edited by bluehippie