True or 3BB

vogie

Last year we took out a special promotion with True that gave us 100Mbps broadband for 400baht a month, however the promotion has just finished and it has gone up to 800baht a month. My wife phoned them and they got back to her within 24hrs and said that they would supply our broadband for 600baht.

Now the predicament is that 3BB are doing broadband for about 640baht a month but that is 200/200 Mbps, does the extra 100 Mbps make a lot of difference, not bothered about the 40 baht extra cost. What would be my best choice? Thanks.

• Haha 1

3BB....1Gbps for 590bht plus tax....I had to change the DT LAN card from 100 to 1000mbps one to get the higher speed. Where I live it gives me about 300 up and 300 download, sometimes it gets to 500. I might ask 3BB why not nearer the 1000 but for what I do it is OK at 300...????

• Like 2

13 hours ago, transam said:

3BB....1Gbps for 590bht plus tax....I had to change the DT LAN card from 100 to 1000mbps one to get the higher speed. Where I live it gives me about 300 up and 300 download, sometimes it gets to 500. I might ask 3BB why not nearer the 1000 but for what I do it is OK at 300...????

I had 3BB long time ago but changed to True because they were often down at least twice a month. I live in Hua Hin. Has it changed?

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Same as 3BB. I have 3BB in Phitsanulok jungle, very few outages, only after power cuts/storms. Speedtest shows 1000/500 most of the time.

I think my choice has to be between True or 3BB due to where I live, but the question is......is there any noticeable difference between 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps, if there are, what are those differences? All I do is watch tv and do not play any internet games etc.

7 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Same as 3BB. I have 3BB in Phitsanulok jungle, very few outages, only after power cuts/storms. Speedtest shows 1000/500 most of the time.

I had an outage recently from 3bb (whole area affected) it happens. Soon i am going to get a WIFI dongle and connect it to my router to have a backup connection. Just have to find the right dongle that is compatible with modem. I know what one but they are a bit hard to get.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I had an outage recently from 3bb (whole area affected) it happens. Soon i am going to get a WIFI dongle and connect it to my router to have a backup connection. Just have to find the right dongle that is compatible with modem. I know what one but they are a bit hard to get.

Or switch on your hotspot on your phone, WiFi on your PC and off you go. You do not need another dongle/SIM card.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

It can be a big difference its double the speed but it depends on your location and how many are on True and 3bb. So actually its hard to say.

I got 1GB up and Down from 3bb. I have always been happy with 3bb.

I would say it's about 50/50 between True and 3 BB. But at 100 Mbps is that not suffient?

Just now, stouricks said:

Or switch on your hotspot on your phone, WiFi on your PC and off you go. You do not need another dongle.

To be honest i tried it with my phone. I got some DHCP or routing problem. I havent really looked further in it.

But it the setup was easy. Put phone on a cable in usb tethering and then activate in the router. Unfortunately i think got the routing problem. This was with DTAC. Normally it should work. I might trawl the internet a bit more find a solution. 

It would be the cheaper and easier way. The router has the option so it should work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I would say it's about 50/50 between True and 3 BB. But at 100 Mbps is that not suffient?

Question is more what do you do with your internet. If you only post on Thaivisa then sure its fast enough. If you watch a lot of TV (like netflix though that works good on lower speeds). Sometimes higher MB give you better streaming quality.

Also if you download a lot higher speeds are nice. I use a lot of dropbox for huge files and a lot of downloading and TV. So for me the higher speeds are worth it.

But I have like 10 devices connecting to my router (TV's Phones, laptops, computers, NAS ect). So it also depends how much you have connected to it. As the speed you get at your router gets shared between your devices.

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Or switch on your hotspot on your phone, WiFi on your PC and off you go. You do not need another dongle.

Actually i can connect my phone to my computer, just have to disable the default network adapter. Then it works. But would have preferred it to directly take to from my phone to the router. But I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to how i like my IT to work.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have an old spare LT, it has a 60mbps LAN card, it is still a slug with 300mbps, but my DT is noticeably quicker with the LAN card upgrade and using the 3/500mbps I am getting..

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Between these 2, on support quality, I'd definitely choose 3BB. Speed/price wise, they are roughly the same, with slight edge to True. But usually not worth it when something goes wrong and you have to call for support. The nerves killed will offset any differences in speed in a single call.

This.

I have true and their customer support is shockingly bad.

7 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Between these 2, on support quality, I'd definitely choose 3BB. Speed/price wise, they are roughly the same, with slight edge to True. But usually not worth it when something goes wrong and you have to call for support. The nerves killed will offset any differences in speed in a single call.

I think you are correct, I have had many outages over the last 12 months with True, I have had 3BB before and I seem to remember them being more reliable than True.

So it would appear that the extra 100Mbps won't make much difference, if any, so it all boils down to reliability, which at a glance would make 3BB the favourite.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think my choice has to be between True or 3BB due to where I live, but the question is......is there any noticeable difference between 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps, if there are, what are those differences? All I do is watch tv and do not play any internet games etc.

Probably you will only notice a difference when downloading large files. And you will only notice that difference if the server you are downloading from allows you to download at 200 mbps.

I use for example Microsoft Onedrive. Speeds are seldom higher than 10-20 mbps. At that moment the speed of your internet connection makes no difference at all.

I have 40 mbps. I work online, the television is on all day, many devices like phones are connected. I use voip to make phone calls. I download, also large files. But it happens in the background. I never felt the need to look for something faster.

Things like reliability, uptime etc are much more important. 

• Like 2

I have always had 3BB for over 10 years. I never felt the need to change.

I remember when we first moved here, I was getting low speeds from my server in Europe, and the local guys didn’t have a clue, so they sent someone from BKK who came with the regional manager and they worked it out for me. Things have got a lot better since then, they are constantly upgrading the speed and reducing the price.

I currently pay a premium for gigabit, and yes, it’s really noticeable .. a 1080p movie can be downloaded in minutes and I don’t get any nasty messages about my connection from my company which is worth the extra outlay. 

• Like 1