Skin cancer check - with AIA insurance

Joejoejoejoe

Hi All, 

A general query here.

I have AIA health insurance, and I want to have a mole checkup/skin cancer screening. 

- Does anyone have any advice on where to go, who to see? (I'm based in Bangkok) ?
and
- Would basic health insurance generally cover such screenings? and lab testing etc. if needed? 
(I will try and give AIA a call tomorrow for further clarification. The pack I received is predictably in Thai..)

- Would anyone know of the general cost of such visits? 

Thank you 

One year ago today I paid about $350 all in at Samitivej for a complete screening and to have a carcinoma cut out of my forehead and biopsied.  About the size of a raisin.  She did an excellent job, and there's virtually no scar.

527733206_SkinCancerBiopsyRedacted.thumb.jpg.5b1692198ec14071705ea76c536408a4.jpg

Sorry I don't have her business card, but the biopsy report shows her name in Thai.  I recommend her.

Keep in mind Samitivej is one of the most expensive hospitals in Thailand.  Long story short...  Don't worry about the money- it won't be much.  Get it done.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Surgery can get rather expensive if done by a plastic surgeon (over 30,000 baht for surgery alone) but if done by dermatologist will be much cheaper and exam is not that expensive but skin cancer knowledge is mostly from books as few Thai have such issues.  Have no idea what AIA covers but if outpatient expect there would be coverage.  Be sure any suspect area is tested.

• Like 1

Is your coverage inpatient only or also outpatient? (most peopek have only inpatient cover here)

If your policy includes outpatient then the screening  should be covered up to whatever the maximum per visit it.

If excision and biopsy is advised, that too would be covered if yo uhave outpatient cover and it might also be covered under an inpatient policy as outpatient surgery, but this very much depends on the policy.

A visit and visual inspection will be around 2000 baht top end. If excision and biopsy are needed then another 10-15k if dermatologist can do it, more if it needs a plastic surgeon (for example is large and on the face)

Be aware that very, very few Thai doctors have much experience with skin cancers and even fewer have experience with skin cancers in Caucasians. Even otherwise excellent dermatologists frequently make mistakes and iss cancers here.  In fact there is only one doctor I can fully recommend for this, she is in Pattaya but well worth the trip

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=7&depid=2

US trained and US Board certified, worked for decades in the US (I think Southern Calif) and skin cancer is her specialty

• Like 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

One year ago today I paid about $350 all in at Samitivej for a complete screening and to have a carcinoma cut out of my forehead and biopsied.  About the size of a raisin.  She did an excellent job, and there's virtually no scar.

527733206_SkinCancerBiopsyRedacted.thumb.jpg.5b1692198ec14071705ea76c536408a4.jpg

Sorry I don't have her business card, but the biopsy report shows her name in Thai.  I recommend her.

Keep in mind Samitivej is one of the most expensive hospitals in Thailand.  Long story short...  Don't worry about the money- it won't be much.  Get it done.

Thank you very much. I will bear this in mind if a procedure is necessary. 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Is your coverage inpatient only or also outpatient? (most peopek have only inpatient cover here)

If your policy includes outpatient then the screening  should be covered up to whatever the maximum per visit it.

If excision and biopsy is advised, that too would be covered if yo uhave outpatient cover and it might also be covered under an inpatient policy as outpatient surgery, but this very much depends on the policy.

A visit and visual inspection will be around 2000 baht top end. If excision and biopsy are needed then another 10-15k if dermatologist can do it, more if it needs a plastic surgeon (for example is large and on the face)

Be aware that very, very few Thai doctors have much experience with skin cancers and even fewer have experience with skin cancers in Caucasians. Even otherwise excellent dermatologists frequently make mistakes and iss cancers here.  In fact there is only one doctor I can fully recommend for this, she is in Pattaya but well worth the trip

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=7&depid=2

US trained and US Board certified, worked for decades in the US (I think Southern Calif) and skin cancer is her specialty

Hi, thank you for this! 

I have booked to see Dr. Anna this Thursday (fingers crossed). 

(and yes, unfortunately I doubt my relatively cheap insurance covers outpatient stuff...I'll call them anyway for clarification on various points e.g. 'outpatient surgery' etc.)

Thank you! 

On 10/10/2020 at 5:05 AM, impulse said:

Same here except mine was a squamous cell carcinoma which is more serious than a basal cell carcinoma since it can spread if left untreated.

• 2 months later...