Thailand On US Copyright Piracy List

LaoPo

For those who doubt the political will in the US is changing, here is an excerpt from a USA Today/Gallup poll on from Polling Report. That one was a year ago. More recent polls on the same site show a continuing trend. Note the changes since 1999. There is probably not a person in America, except perhaps in Bush's inner circle, that hasn't seen someone they know, themselves, relatives, friends or neighbors lose a good job, their homes, savings and security to job losses from increased international trade. Americans have been told to create opportunity for themselves when this happens. When countries close their markets to American small business as Thailand is attempting to do with the new and improved FBA, it doesn't make these Americans favorably disposed toward continuing privileges for those countries and their citizens. Trade is a two way street. The "sleeping giant" is awakening.

USA Today/Gallup Poll. April 7-9, 2006.

"Do you believe increased trade between the United States and other countries mostly helps or mostly hurts American workers?"

Helps Hurts Unsure

4/7-9/06 30 % 65 % 6 %

11/18-21/99 35 % 59 % 6 %

"Do you believe increased trade between the United States and other countries mostly helps or mostly hurts American companies?"

Helps Hurts Unsure

4/7-9/06 44 % 50 % 6 %

11/18-21/99 56 % 39 % 5 %

http://www.pollingreport.com/trade.htm

Those figures may change pretty quickly if the US cut itself off from world trade and put up the barriers. It is unlikely that US workers would suddenly get the desire to work for a buck or two a day in a sudden display of nationalistic bravado, so there would no longer be cheap goods in the US. Consdering the distribution of wealth and lack of social support networks in the US the poor underclass would be in a precarious povision with more expensive goods. How many companies are set up to import and how many Americans do these employ is a another consideration. Then I wonder how all the TNC and MNCs would like a bit of isolation. Most of these could rapidly relocate their HQs. This is all without considering how the US economy is now inextricably tied in with the economies of many other countries. Whilst nationalistic ideals of a cut off and self sufficient society are appealing to many the reality of what modern global trade is, linked to what people are used to means these ideals will remain only dreams becuase if practiced they can rapidly turn into a nightmare even for the current largest economy in the world.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those figures may change pretty quickly if the US cut itself off from world trade and put up the barriers. It is unlikely that US workers would suddenly get the desire to work for a buck or two a day in a sudden display of nationalistic bravado, so there would no longer be cheap goods in the US. Consdering the distribution of wealth and lack of social support networks in the US the poor underclass would be in a precarious povision with more expensive goods. How many companies are set up to import and how many Americans do these employ is a another consideration. Then I wonder how all the TNC and MNCs would like a bit of isolation. Most of these could rapidly relocate their HQs. This is all without considering how the US economy is now inextricably tied in with the economies of many other countries. Whilst nationalistic ideals of a cut off and self sufficient society are appealing to many the reality of what modern global trade is, linked to what people are used to means these ideals will remain only dreams becuase if practiced they can rapidly turn into a nightmare even for the current largest economy in the world.

I suppose ordinary Americans hated the days when factories were open and workers were paid a middle class salary. They couldn't stand it when the middle class was expanding and real wages were rising. Of course the MNCs and their CEOs didn't make as much then but ordinary Americans are willing to make continued sacrifices now that the government's promises of a brighter future for all Americans through unilaterally opening America's markets have been proven to create more low paying jobs at Walmart and Target. I suppose ordinary Americans, that is the middle class, would prefer to let developing countries like Thailand dictate terms of trade that will see their jobs disappear (at least jobs that pay a decent wage) and their opportunities to replace that income with a small business or another good paying job greatly limited while the opportunites for the middle class of those countries are expanded at their expense. Good opportunities for ordinary citizens of both countries to grow and develop are not in the best interest of ordinary Americans. Only when the Americans (or Europeans) lose opportunity will they be truely happy and content. I suppose that ordinary Americans will be thrilled at the prospect of working at Walmart (one of the many import related businesses your refer to) for substand wages with no benefits. It makes them feel real ggod inside seeing their homes and savings vanish while being told they are not allowed to particiapte in the benefits of globalzation because they are Americans (or Europeans). The IT workers displaced by outsourcing to India were absolutely estatic when that happened to them especially those that re-educated themselves after losing their factory jobs. Ordinary Americans will be happy that their government did nothing when developing countries like Thailand demanded favorable access to the US market for her middle class small businesses while closing or limiting access to the their markets for middle class Americans. I am sure Eurpoeans will be thrilled at that prospect too. Yes, Americans don't want to see trade, they only want to see imports increase and their opportuities to make money in the global economy disappear. It makes them sleep better at night.

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

The real consequences of this action by the US govt have not be felt yet...

As a result of this, it is very likely that GSP status will be canceled for Thailand on a large variety of goods. I happen to be involved in the jewelry export business and we are assuming that by July our GSP(duty free status) with the US will be gone..That means that all our products are going to increase in final cost to our customers by 5%..The annual jewelry exports to the US amount to over $300 million(US). That 5% is a large selling point and that will be gone...

So we will have to cut our expenses by 5% because our customers are going to want us to bear the burden of the duty...

It is my opinion that without the Abbot controversy, we would not have lost our GSP and the other 1000's of categories that will also lose their GSP...So we need to look to these junta leaders that made this decision to "steal" a rightful patent..

I suppose ordinary Americans hated the days when factories were open and workers were paid a middle class salary. They couldn't stand it when the middle class was expanding and real wages were rising. Of course the MNCs and their CEOs didn't make as much then but ordinary Americans are willing to make continued sacrifices now that the government's promises of a brighter future for all Americans through unilaterally opening America's markets have been proven to create more low paying jobs at Walmart and Target. I suppose ordinary Americans, that is the middle class, would prefer to let developing countries like Thailand dictate terms of trade that will see their jobs disappear (at least jobs that pay a decent wage) and their opportunities to replace that income with a small business or another good paying job greatly limited while the opportunites for the middle class of those countries are expanded at their expense. Good opportunities for ordinary citizens of both countries to grow and develop are not in the best interest of ordinary Americans. Only when the Americans (or Europeans) lose opportunity will they be truely happy and content. I suppose that ordinary Americans will be thrilled at the prospect of working at Walmart (one of the many import related businesses your refer to) for substand wages with no benefits. It makes them feel real ggod inside seeing their homes and savings vanish while being told they are not allowed to particiapte in the benefits of globalzation because they are Americans (or Europeans). The IT workers displaced by outsourcing to India were absolutely estatic when that happened to them especially those that re-educated themselves after losing their factory jobs. Ordinary Americans will be happy that their government did nothing when developing countries like Thailand demanded favorable access to the US market for her middle class small businesses while closing or limiting access to the their markets for middle class Americans. I am sure Eurpoeans will be thrilled at that prospect too. Yes, Americans don't want to see trade, they only want to see imports increase and their opportuities to make money in the global economy disappear. It makes them sleep better at night.

Yes, but how will Americans provide the cheap goods (if they cannot be imported) needed by the poor underclass and earn a middle class salary? And how will the middle class feel about paying more for everything?

Yes, but how will Americans provide the cheap goods (if they cannot be imported) needed by the poor underclass and earn a middle class salary? And how will the middle class feel about paying more for everything?

Even if your ludicrous scenario of America shutting its doors to trade ever occurred it wouldn't be complete trade isolationism. It's just that America would be more "choosy" in who it decides to do business with. This is actually how Congress is leaning these days with various agreements being reanalyzed to see how it benefits the U.S. Certain agreements that are highly beneficial to the U.S. would still go on business as usual. Those that are harmful to the U.S. would be cancelled or sanctions would be levied that would make it costly for those countries to export their high labor/low skill products into the country. I see no problems with this at all.

There are plenty of developing countries who are competing with each other for the same high labor/low skill products where the U.S. can pick and choose who it buys from.

I suppose ordinary Americans hated the days when factories were open and workers were paid a middle class salary. They couldn't stand it when the middle class wasa expanding and real wages were rising. Of course the MNCs didn't make as much then but ordinary Americans are willing to make continued sacrifices now that the government's promises of a brighter future for all Americans through unilaterally opening America's mar kets have proven to create more low paying jobs at Walmart and Target. I suppose ordinary Americans, that is the middle class, would prefer to let developing countries like Thailand dictate terms of trade that will see their jobs disappear (at least jobs that pay a decent wage) and their opportunities to replace that income with a small business or another good paying job greatly limited while the opportunites for the middle class of those countries are expanded at their expense. Good opportunities for ordinary citizens of both countries to grow and develop are not in the best interest of ordinary Americans. Only when the Americans (or Europeans) lose opportunity will they be truely happy. I suppose that ordinary Americans will be thrilled at the prospect of working at Walmart (one of the many import related businesses your refer to) for substand wages with no benefits. It makes them feel real ggod inside seeing their homes and savings vanish while being told they are not allowed to particiapte in the benefits of globalzation because they are Americans (or Europeans). The IT workers displaced by outsourcing to India were absolutely estatic when that happened to them especially those that re-educated themselves after losing their factory jobs.. Ordinary Americans will be happy that their government did nothing when developing countries like Thailand demanded favorable access to the US market for her middle class small businesses while closing or limiting access to the their markets for middle class Americans. I am sure Eurpoeans will be thrilled at that prospect too. Yes, Americans don't want to see trade, they only want to see imports increase and their opportuities to make money in the global economy disappear. It makes them sleep better at night.

you are absolutely right. American dont like that. however American have been living in fantasy land for the past 10 years.

they just can stop consuming. and consuming beyond your means has a price.

The official national debt figure, now approaching $9 trillion, reflects only what the federal government owes in current debts on money already borrowed. It does not reflect what the federal government has promised to pay millions of Americans in entitlement benefits down the road. Those future obligations put real debt figure at roughly fifty trillion dollars- a staggering sum that is about as large as the total household net worth of the entire United States. Your share as an american of this fifty trillion amounts to about $175,000.

U.S. monetary policy continues to be set as if the U.S. lives in economic isolation from rest of the world. Investors, consumers, governments outside the U.S. simply remain outside the analysis of the U.S. economic situation. Despite the downplay by many cable news gurus, the U.S. mortgage & housing bubble is pushing the U.S. economy into recession. The second major asset bubble bust in seven years is now about to crush the U.S. economy.

Since home equity has been the principal asset collateralizing that credit, how can consumers keep borrowing and spending when housing prices fall?

so the USA realy needs forign investment to create jobs and invest in the realstate market. and that is why american offer forigenrs an investment free envioroment. they dont do it because they want to they do it because they need that money!!!

American were very happy when they could import very cheap from asia but now that the dollar is devaluating life is becoming more expensive.

one would assume that Americans in such case will stop importing and incourage exporting but they dont. because the cost of labour in america is 10 times higer then in asia so American companies wanting to make more profits produce outside.

at the end of the day american hedge funds and investments will pull out of asia creating another crisis that will once again cause the import from asia to be cheap and american can go back to spending and consuming and making the debt even bigger.

Thailand is only trieng to protect itself from such a dependency on american economy and being at the mercy of forign investment speculators that are actually gambling on the next crisis.

back to the original topic....I agree that Thaialnd must respect the copy rights of others and i hope that the goverment takes actions to do something about it. however we all do enjoy paying cheaper for thse coppies...

To clarify my position, I am not opposed to globalization. I am opposed to globalization where developing countries are given a free ride at the expense of the middle class in developed countries. Globalization should benefit citizens of both countires. it shouldn't creagte job losses without corresponding opportunity to replace that income through jobs or new business ventures. What Thailand is attempting to do is to say that Americans (and other foreigners) should not benefit from trade with Thailand. Thais should be allowed (and are in fact encouraged and assited) to open businesses in those countries with little or no restriction. But for foreigners who wish to do business in Thailand there is no concept of reciprocity.

Before the rapid expansion globalization America had a large and expanding middle class. We paid more for some things but it didn't affect the overall quality of life as much as say an industry closure or unreplacable job losses that occur under the "lets unilaterally open America's markets" program. The promises of that program have failed to materialize. The concept of demonstrating the benefit of open markets to developing economies was supposed to open markets in both directions. Instead it appears to be having the opposite effect. Thailand is working diligently to pass laws that will make the benefits of open markets almost exclusively accrue to Thailand. The Commerce Ministry has taken the position that it doesn't care what others think and that it will not negotiate. Mr. Krirk-Krai apparently thinks that kicking the face of middle class Americans and other foreigners will simply be tolerated. He may be right but I somehow doubt it. Politics is much different in Europe, America and Japan.

As to the replacement of cheap imported goods, modernizing American factories and improving automation would do wonders toward that end. The investments haven't been made because US companies have been allowed to simply move operations offshore. Several years ago there was talk in the US of passing legislation that would penalize American based MNCs for moving offshore. In the present environment and with the ongoing change in the US political landscape, that talk may be revisited.

I would hope accomodation and opportunites for citizens all sides might develop but with the present situation in Thailand and many developing countries it appears that ordinary Americans and Europeans are being told there is nothing in it for you.

Get a grip, the time where a western country could compete on labour costs is long gone, and you cant protect yourself out of that problem.

You have to compete on skill and specialiced products, but you also have to accept the fact that trade no longer will be to your sole advantage, some contryes is more needy than yours, and we in the rich west will have to spread some of that wealth for our own good.

If the workers in Wallmart think they get to little they should not try to get the rest from Thai people living in schacks, but from the shareholders profits.

Thailand a threat to Us economi, thats ridicolus, Thailands Bnp proberly wouldent cover a lick of paint on all your tanks, lovely tanks by the way.

Kind regards :o

When I said IT workers who lost their jobs due to outsourcing to India ended up losing thier homes and working for Walmart, I wasn't kidding. Many of these people had advanced degrees. Some had re-educated themselves and improved their skills as you suggested after losing their good paying factory jobs. To rub salt in their wounds the Indian press joked about their job losses. At one time they suggested they code for food, a remark equating them with some uneducated homeless people in the US who hold signs saying, "will work for food".

As far as protecting Americans labor intensive industry you missed the point. I am not in favor of going backwards. I am in favor of opening markets so that those who lose their jobs have other opportunities. Temporarily closing a developed country's market to demonstrate that trade is a two way street may become necessary given the hardened position of many developing countries. Many developing countries have the attitude that their markets will be perpetually closed. Thailand is among those countries. Look at list 3 of the Foreign Business Act. Those businesses have been protected for years yet in Thailand there is talk of protecting more categories rather than liberalizing. Recently a Thai group has begun demanding protection from foreign owned travel companies. How long have Thais been operating travel businesses? Answer, since before the first Foreign Business Act and they still say they can't compete.

Middle class citizens from developed countries are being told they cannot participate in the benefits of globalization. They are being told they must be made to suffer and their children must not have a promising future. If developing countries want access to the markets of developed countries they should be prepared to offer reciprocity. Citizens of both countries should benefit not only in terms of lower prices but in terms of jobs. Instead, in the present instance, Thailand is talking about changing the rules to the detriment of foreign investors, particularly small business investors. The government is taking aim directly at middle class citizens of other countries who came here to do business following what was then accepted legal practice in Thailand. Meanwhile, the Thai government continues to demand and largely receives unfettered access for Thai nationals to open small businesses in developed countries.

Yes, Thailand is not threat to the American economy though the country enjoys a trade surplus with the US large enough to cover her trade deficits with Japan. In fact without American trade Thailand would be in deep economic trouble. Even a small shift would put Thailand in the trade deficit category. That said Thailand, like any other country must be willing to reciprocate in trade and economic access. If Thailand wishes to go the other route as it appears she does then affected citizens of other countries have the right to deman the withdrawal of trade privileges. Part of the change in the US government during last years elections is related to that demand. Congress is beginning to listen. Trade is a two way street meant to benefit the citizens of both countries. Thailand unfortunately doesn't see it that way.

I think the US policy on trade and how they conduct business is starting to isolate them. They have tunnel vision and always want the better end of every trade deal they make. I think they are starting to realize their dominance on the world market is slipping and they are doing everything they can to hold on to it. It's only a matter of time.

I suspect that most of the world are laughing at the Bush administration' expenses. Historically duplicating that the US is going thro' the death throes of economic and political invisibilty that the British Empire went though at the end of 19th centuary. That is they are still in a period of self denial that very soon that they will become an "also ran" as the British Empire found out at their expense. However all they have done by downgrading Thailand has proved to most of the world that they are still living in the past. Does anybody really think that it will have any implication except to make the US a bigger laughing stock than they already are ? I expect that Russia are quaking in their boots also (not) !! Now if I was the Thai governement I would cancel, with immediate effect, the Treaty of Amity and insist that any US company comply with the standards and legal requirements similar to any other foreign company has to. Especially as the Bush administration continues to support the World Bank's proven corrupt leader - that sez it all.

Then once they (USA) understand that they are fast becoming "also rans" after China and India they then may, just may, accept that there is a real world outwith the borders of N America.

These guys are as short sighted as Hugo Chavez. They think that seizing foreign assets will have no longterm reprecussion when they themselves have little understanding of how economics or business works. I wouldn't be surprised if nationalist politics is what brings Thailand down in the long run.

Some respected economists believe that Chavez is short-sighted. Other respected economists believe that it is economists at the IMF who have been short-sighted and that Chavez is a logical response to them. I am on the side of the respected historian of economic thought, Richard Heilbroner, that economics is a branch of worldly philosophy and those who see it as purely a science are deluding themsleves.

And sometimes how business works is bad for the long term economy of a nation and thus politics may be perceived, especially by ex-pat business people, as becoming "nationalistic" when it no longer favors their personal interests.

It's funny to see that most of these peer to peer filesharing networks, thus piracy without medium, are build maintained and used by Westeners.

So piracy is in us all and maybe it's time the Industry moved on.

why now??

why is this so important to have this list of copy rights now???

i was eading a few posts and then the picture became clear. or it could have been the tom yam that was so spicy, but then it came to me...

its note about media or movies beacuse as someone has posted already its available on the net.

Its not about software as that to is on the net.

Its not about watches as american would not care about fake swiss watches.

Its not about aparrel. as copies are available in the us as well..

So what is it about??

its about pharmacies!!! thats right medicine.

thai government stirred up controversy by saying it would strip key drugs of their patent protection and give away generic versions.

Affected would be major drug companies such as efavirenz, Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.'s HIV treatment drug, which is marketed as Sustiva, and clopidogrel, a drug marketed as Plavix by Bristol-Myers and Aventis SA to treat heart conditions.

can you imagine how much money those companies will lose if the Asian market does this??

those generic drugs will very quickly be available to western countries and the drug companies will lose billions.

there is no etimate as to how much money is lost by coppies of Viagra. can you imagine the scope of income from life saving drugs?

Thailand's move, known as "compulsory licensing," is legal under World Trade Organization rules in medical emergencies, but is controversial and opposed by drug firms.

So drug firms call up the boys in Washington, you know the ones that owe them favours for those generous election contributions and issue a a warning to all..

or maybe i am wrong and this is only about the ileagal DVD in it plaza...

its about pharmacies!!! thats right medicine

I have to agree with you on that one. The other concerns were largely ignored until Thailand decided to invoke compulsory licensing. As was said earlier, that act was the last straw in a series of acts by the current government that include the new and improved FBA and the currency controls. Of course with big pharma's clout it didn't take long for the policy makers to act.

Of course the recent trip to Pantip that netted one illegal video and no pirated software doesn't help Thailand's case. I guess the Minister that conducted that raid thinks that those in the US Embassy and the BSA are complete fools. Its good for local consumption though. Tell the people no one found illegal software and say that the US is unfairly targeting Thailand. The Bangkok Post is reporting tonight that IP department wille meeting with officials from the US Embassy to tell them how hard Thailand is working to eliminate pirated goods. After the successful raid on Pantip I'd love to be privy to what is said.

Its good to hear the same old story. Thailand does its thing under the table, does a wee raid now and then to look good.

Booming business as usual.

Looking forward bargain basement prices as per the norm. :o

Thailand to start IP talks with US

(TNA) - Washington's decision to shift Thailand from its intellectual property "Watch List" (WL) to its "Priority Watch List" (PWL) on Monday may cause some psychological impacts on investors in both countries, but will not really affect the Thai-US trade relationship, according to a senior official.

To clarify all doubt and to push to lift the kingdom from the list, Thailand's Intellectual Property Department (IPD) will meet with US IPD representatives on May 11 to jointly prepare an action plan, Thai IPD Director-General Puangrat Assawapisit said Wednesday.

And:

On top of that, in recent years, Thailand was serious about eradicating intellectual property problems, as evidenced by strict piracy suppression, intellectual law amendments and promulgation.

All this information will be brought to attention of US IPD representatives next Friday.

http://bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/break...s.php?id=118485

Thailand to start IP talks with US

(TNA) - Washington's decision to shift Thailand from its intellectual property "Watch List" (WL) to its "Priority Watch List" (PWL) on Monday may cause some psychological impacts on investors in both countries, but will not really affect the Thai-US trade relationship, according to a senior official.

To clarify all doubt and to push to lift the kingdom from the list, Thailand's Intellectual Property Department (IPD) will meet with US IPD representatives on May 11 to jointly prepare an action plan, Thai IPD Director-General Puangrat Assawapisit said Wednesday.

And:

On top of that, in recent years, Thailand was serious about eradicating intellectual property problems, as evidenced by strict piracy suppression, intellectual law amendments and promulgation.

All this information will be brought to attention of US IPD representatives next Friday.

http://bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/break...s.php?id=118485

I'm sure the deputy prime minister will impress the US representatives with the one CD he got from Pantip last week.

CEBF views Thailand should improve understanding with USA quickly

The Center for Economic and Business Forecasting (CEBF) of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce views Thailand must quickly create understanding with USA quickly after being put on the patent and medicine infringement priority watch list.

CEBF Director Thanawat Pholwichai (ธนวรรธน์ พลวิชัย) says USA has been much concerned on patent and medicine infringement and needed Thailand to solve problems rapidly. Although, USA has not suggested solutions for Thailand, he remarked Thailand should have a discussion with USA soon for fear it would ecounte reprisal by increasing tariffs.

Mr. Thanawat says the subject might affect the country’s image and decrease investors’ confidence.

At the same time, CEBF Director suggests private sector to prepare for relevant details if the government starts investigating into its case.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 May 2007

Hmm, could be a good and bad thing. Most people coming to Thailand who aren't the big investor types probably don't give a flying fck about copyright laws etc. These folks number a lot.

However if enough big investor types get put off then the prognosis could force change. A lot of ifs and buts though as well as this is also something thats been bouncing around for at least five years or so.

AIDS groups call for placing US on 'watch list' for violating patient rights

Activists gathering under the banner of the Thai Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS have called for international action to place the United States on notice for violating national sovereignty and the rights of the sick and the poor worldwide, in retaliation for the US putting Thailand on its "Priority Watch List" (PWL) for alleged intellectual property piracy.

Dozens of network members, with representatives of the AIDS Access Foundation, on Thursday gathered at the US Embassy here and issued a statement denouncing Washington's move as an action taken for commercial purposes only, in disregard for the importance of morality and human lives.

They said the US accusation of Thailand's failure to sufficiently protect American producers from widespread piracy lacked factual information.

The demonstrators said they were determined to closely monitor every step the US takes on the matter, and that they called on AIDS networks around the world to place the US on a symbolic 'Priority Watch List' for violating other countries' sovereignty and human rights for attempting to deprive patients and the poor in developing and undeveloped countries worldwide of access to medicine.

Virat Poorahong, head of the Thai Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS, called on Thailand's ministries of foreign affairs and commerce to give clear support tof the Ministry of Public Health's application of compulsory licencing of medicines for better living of patients and the poor, procedures which he said were clearly indicated by WTO procedures.

The network said they believed Public Health Minister Dr. Mongkol Na Songkhla would not change his position regarding the application.

Should the minister change his stance, his credibility among the Thai public would definitely fall, Mr. Virat said.

In November, Dr. Mongkol issued a compulsory licence for Merck's HIV/Aids treatment drug Efavirenz followed by the second-line combination anti-retroviral therapy Kaletra and the heart disease drug Plavix in January. He explained that his action was in accord with the WTO decision which allows developing countries to produce or import generic versions of patented drugs for government use.

More than 500,000 people in Thailand are living with HIV, according to UNAIDS, the UN agency that co-ordinates the global fight against the deadly virus.

Source: TNA - 03 May 2007

Thai seat on 'priority watch list' to affect trade and investment: KRC BANGKOK, May 3 (TNA) - Despite assurances to the contrary by some officials, the United States action to place Thailand on its 'priority watch list' (PWL) for failing to protect American corporate intellectual property assets will affect Thai trade and investment, a leading think tank warned Thursday.

In particular, the Kasikorn Research Centre said, the kingdom's reduced access to the generalised system of preferences and negative image among present and potential US and foreign investors will impact the Thai economy.

And

Also, the current government's amendments to both the Wholesale and Retail Trade Act and the Foreign Business Act, which remain unclear, could also make foreign investors delay their investment decisions regarding Thailand.

At the same time, it would lead to a reconsideration of the GSP given to Thai export products since the US considers the intellectual property protection as one of key conditions in granting GSP to developing countries and undeveloped countries.

The US is set to reconsider granting the GSP status to various countries on July 1 this year.

Full story here:

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=29219

Thai seat on 'priority watch list' to affect trade and investment: KRC BANGKOK, May 3 (TNA) - Despite assurances to the contrary by some officials, the United States action to place Thailand on its 'priority watch list' (PWL) for failing to protect American corporate intellectual property assets will affect Thai trade and investment, a leading think tank warned Thursday.

In particular, the Kasikorn Research Centre said, the kingdom's reduced access to the generalised system of preferences and negative image among present and potential US and foreign investors will impact the Thai economy.

And

Also, the current government's amendments to both the Wholesale and Retail Trade Act and the Foreign Business Act, which remain unclear, could also make foreign investors delay their investment decisions regarding Thailand.

At the same time, it would lead to a reconsideration of the GSP given to Thai export products since the US considers the intellectual property protection as one of key conditions in granting GSP to developing countries and undeveloped countries.

The US is set to reconsider granting the GSP status to various countries on July 1 this year.

Full story here:

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=29219

As i said befor it all about money.

and altough it may seem of subject...if you look at all the posts for the past 2 weeks concerning economy then you see there is a is conection.

1.Drug firms stand to loose over 140 billion from generic rivals.

2. American are loosing jobs in production and services to deveolped countries.

Ford has declared intentions of buliding a new billion dollar factory in Thailand while laying of Americans.

3. housing and mortage loans are on the brink of pulling the us into a crisis.

4. American producers are loosing the battle with low price imports...

Bottom line.. americans are feeling a little crisis is on the way and I realy do understand the American policy makers. they are now threatning who ever they can as to improve american interests.

they are now considering on renewing duty taxes and import taxes to save American jobs. but how can they do that?

i belive that this intellectual property protection is realy bound by the american looking for an "excuse" to back down from GSP and trade agreements. in thailand they call it FTA but its the same. protection of local intrests..

I hope that the americans know what they are doing as ig they go down the whole world will follow.

I found a nice article that i think you will find interseting.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 - Updated: 01:53 PM EST

WASHINGTON - A move to protect threatened American industries and workers from foreign competition would be a serious mistake that would jeopardize the sizable benefits of free trade, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Tuesday.

"Restricting trade by imposing tariffs, quotas and other barriers is exactly the wrong thing to do," Bernanke said in remarks to an audience at Montana Tech in Butte, Mont.

"In the long run, economic isolationism and retreat from international competition would inexorably lead to lower productivity for U.S. firms and lower living standards for U.S. consumers," Bernanke said.

As America’s trade deficits have soared, Congress and the Bush administration have come under increased political pressure to erect trade barriers against a flood of imports that critics contend have contributed to the loss of more than 3 million manufacturing jobs since 2001.

The Fed chairman said that restricting imports might temporarily slow job losses in affected industries, but those benefits would be outweighed "many times over by the costs, which would include higher prices for consumers and increased costs, and thus reduced competitiveness, for U.S. firms."

The better approach to dealing with job losses in such industries as textiles, which have been hurt by foreign imports, is to improve government retraining programs, Bernanke said. He said it was important to also improve the quality of education that future workers receive so they will be prepared for the jobs of tomorrow.

The debate on trade has intensified this year with Democrats taking control of both the House and Senate after the 2006 elections in which many Democrats attacked President Bush’s free trade policies. They contended the administration has failed to protect American workers from unfair foreign competition from low-wage nations such as China.

The U.S. trade deficit hit $765.3 billion in 2006, the fifth consecutive record, with the imbalance with China rising to $232.5 billion, the largest imbalance ever recorded with a single country.

Bernanke made no comments during his appearance about the current state of the economy. Fed officials will meet next week and are expected to keep interest rates unchanged.

Responding to questions from Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., Bernanke said the real reason for the U.S. trade deficit was that Americans save less and spend more in contrast to a country like China with a high savings rate which depends on export-led growth.

Bernanke said that interest rates remain very low in the United States because of the continued flood of foreign investment into the country. But he said this will not always be the case and "that is why it is important to work on increasing our savings rate."

In his remarks, Bernanke sought to allay fears that service sector jobs, where more than 80 percent of Americans work, could be "outsourced" to other nations, causing massive job losses in this country. He said those concerns were not justified because closeness to customers and knowledge of local conditions would remain critical factors for many service jobs.

The Bush administration, hoping to ward off a protectionist backlash in Congress, has increased pressure on China, imposing tariffs in a dispute involving glossy paper and filing two trade cases against China before the World Trade Organization.

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson will host the second meeting of his new "Strategic Economic Dialogue" with top Chinese officials in Washington on May 23-24, a forum he is hoping will convince Beijing to move more quickly to allow its currency to rise in value against the dollar. American manufacturers say this is needed to boost their sales in China.

Trade Adjustment Assistance, the federal program to help workers who lose jobs to foreign competition, is up for renewal in Congress this year. Bernanke mentioned various changes being considered such as providing wage insurance to people who lose jobs and making health insurance portable, but he said Congress would have to decide what changes were needed.

"Restricting trade by imposing tariffs, quotas and other barriers is exactly the wrong thing to do," Bernanke said in remarks to an audience at Montana Tech in Butte, Mont.

"In the long run, economic isolationism and retreat from international competition would inexorably lead to lower productivity for U.S. firms and lower living standards for U.S. consumers," Bernanke said.

Bernake is right. However in the present instance it is Thailand that is erecting trade barriers and closing market access. You cannot compete if a country like Thailand closes or limits her market access while demanding the US continue to allow her goods and services to freely flow into the US economy. Under those circumstances it is no longer competition. It is unfair trade that needs to be addressed. It appears the US may finally begin to address those issues.

On the world stage, if the products the US makes were competively priced with the rest of the world, they could probably compete with countries like Thailand.

I think America needs to fix this within it's own borders. What part of the production process causes American made goods to be so expensive?

With all the know how that Americans have, can they not create a prodution process that will lower their manufacturing cost to a level that makes imports seem more expensive?

I'm sure if the industries got together they could do this. But they are greedy (a common American trait). Therefore, their goods are quite expensive.

The creation of a new and cheaper way to make things in the USA is needed. Of course, this would put a lot of American's out of work so it is not a viable option.

On the world stage, if the products the US makes were competively priced with the rest of the world, they could probably compete with countries like Thailand.

In fact the US can compete with Thailand and other countries goods and services where the US has a comparative advantage. The problem is countries like Thailand, India and China limit access to their markets on goods and services particularly where Americans, Europeans, Japanese and many other countries hold an advantage. Meanwhile countries lke Thailand, India and China are allowed largely unfettered access to other countries' markets for goods where they hold a comparative advantage. Such a situation is called unfair trade.

Hmm, could be a good and bad thing. Most people coming to Thailand who aren't the big investor types probably don't give a flying fck about copyright laws etc. These folks number a lot.

However if enough big investor types get put off then the prognosis could force change. A lot of ifs and buts though as well as this is also something thats been bouncing around for at least five years or so.

Pardon me, but the tiny number of "big" investors come to Thailand for the cheap labor in manufacturing and food processing. I doubt they give a rat's derriere about copyright laws and these folks probably buy the computer games for their kids at Pantip Plaza also.

Look, the US promotes globalization and access to foreign markets. On the other hand, when those same foreign markets are able to produce an item for a fraction of the price as the domestic production costs then there is this inevitable outcry ranging from piracy to dumping of goods. Only those who directly suffer cry, the rest of humanity, whether it be a poor schmuck like myself or a "big investor" will always gladly pay the lower price, regardless of pedigree, if it represents a significant savings. The only real subjective variable is what is perceived as a significant savings.

The public protest in Thailand againt "evil america" is only a mask for the greater problem Thailand has regarding copyright.

It's not just drugs.

Thailand has historically been a major producer of knockoff goods from Gucci bags to American cigarette lighters.

In lots of shopping centers in Thailand pirated software and movies from abroad are openly sold for a few dollars. Dispite very public "raids" on a few vendors, the government has never been serious about stamping out this practise.

Using the excuse that "We can't afford it" is no excuse to rip off someones music, movies or programs and copy them sale.

Same goes for drugs.

The problem is that Thailand does not take seriously copyright protection. Even Thais do not like to produce software and educational CD programs for the local market because they fear they will just ripped off.

Can and should drugs be cheaper. Yes. (In fact drug prices in Thailand are far cheaper than in the US. If anything Americans should be the ones to protest high prices.)

But ripping them off is not the answer. Stealing never is.

Pardon me, but the tiny number of "big" investors come to Thailand for the cheap labor in manufacturing and food processing. I doubt they give a rat's derriere about copyright laws and these folks probably buy the computer games for their kids at Pantip Plaza also.

Look, the US promotes globalization and access to foreign markets. On the other hand, when those same foreign markets are able to produce an item for a fraction of the price as the domestic production costs then there is this inevitable outcry ranging from piracy to dumping of goods. Only those who directly suffer cry, the rest of humanity, whether it be a poor schmuck like myself or a "big investor" will always gladly pay the lower price, regardless of pedigree, if it represents a significant savings. The only real subjective variable is what is perceived as a significant savings.

Johpa, I'm agreeing with you so why the aggrovation against my post?

As I already stated, If big investers LET it bother them then maybe a few waves will start to happen.

I personally detest the overregulation trumpeting rules that swamp our distant home countries and look upon the freewheeing thai way of doing things as a break from all that.