Rice exports to Africa

Hello

My name is Irene , based in Australia and l am in the market for a rice supplier from any Asian countries that is able to export rice to Africa, Zimbabwe to be exact for a start. The rice will have to come via Mozambique hence companies/exporters with warehouses/offices in Mozambique will be most preferred. I have been looking at counties such as Thailand, Vietnam,Laos.

Anyone with any information on how l can go about it will be greatly appreciated.

• Confused 1

Hmmm..... Suddenly an Irene dives in to the male dominated TV forum, and also wish to do business???

It also regards Africa and have to go through 2 countries to reach it´s destination.

Might this be our first "Nigeria Letter" on Thai Visa?

41 minutes ago, techietraveller84 said:

At least Irene's English is perfect, a sure sign that it's not a scam. ????

All the fishermen try to improve their bait if the catches are rare

i mean if you work in the export\import, aren't you supposed to have

some basics knowledge of how it works, from a school or from another

person with who you have worked ?

How can you reach this decision level (And the budget going with it)

without any knowledge at all in the matter?

Just out of curiousity

Edited by kingofthemountain

2 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Irene forgot to mention that the money to buy the rice comes from her late grandfather, the former k i n g of Zimbabwe. In order to pay out the inheritance, money must be transferred to a lawyer and a notary.

I presume this part is reserved for the private message

as soon as she has someone interested in the ''deal''

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Haha 2

On 10/19/2020 at 10:02 PM, tarielrene said:

Hello

My name is Irene , based in Australia and l am in the market for a rice supplier from any Asian countries that is able to export rice to Africa, Zimbabwe to be exact for a start. The rice will have to come via Mozambique hence companies/exporters with warehouses/offices in Mozambique will be most preferred. I have been looking at counties such as Thailand, Vietnam,Laos.

Anyone with any information on how l can go about it will be greatly appreciated.

Here, Irene, here's a dollar.  Buy a bag of rice. 

Amazon.com: Zimbabwe 10 Billion Dollars 2008, World inflation record,  currency banknotes P85 by RBZ: Collectible Coins 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Poet said:

It is not actually so implausible that someone searching online for contacts in the Thai rice industry might come across this forum first.

Many countries are currently scrambling to increase their long-term stocks of food, which incentizes new entrepreneurs to get into the game. Zimbabwe, in particular, has been dependent on imported food since they chased out all their best farmers about two decades ago. A worldwide food shortage would hit them particulary hard.

You are right

however it should be logical for the Zimbabwe buyer to be in Zimbabwe

not in Australia, and the rice should be delivered in Zimbabwe, not in Mozambique

it doesn't make any sense

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

it should be logical for the Zimbabwe buyer to be in Zimbabwe

not in Australia, and the rice should be delivered in Zimbabwe, not in Mozambique

it doesn't make any sense

Very often in developing countries, the middle classes will spend a few years abroad, most often in education but sometimes also working. Those are the people best equipped to understand and navigate complex stuff such as sourcing international suppliers. I have often seen Thai restaurant workers in the UK running all sorts of side businesses, mostly revolving around exporting goods back to Thailand. They are always looking for opportunities.

Irene may or may not be real, but her English and, indeed, her ability to get even this far is well beyond the capacity of most businessmen in Zimbabwe. Her story does not strike me as particularly unlikely. Bear in mind that many of digital nomads in Chiang Mai make a good living by sourcing products in China and selling them to the rest of the world without ever visiting China or being in physical proximity to the products.

• Like 1