Night Safari

ricklev

A friend wants to go to the Night Safari. Is it any good at all? Thanks

I went to Night Safari just after it opened, and was very dissappointed. The bus rides, at the time, were very disorganized, with the accompanying tour guide speaking only Thai. so if your friend understands Thai he might enjoy it.

Dont even know if its still open. But maybe your friend would enjoy it.

A trip to the adjacent zoo would be better.

I feel a bit ashamed. Regardless of whether or not the Night Safari is politically correct and whether or not other people might consider it worth a visit - I've told myself for a long time, that I ought to go there ... If not for other reasons, then because a couple of travel forums, based in my home country, are in desperate need of someone insightsfull, telling the real TRUTH.

So - in case someone in the know still has patience for lazy guys like me - where does one go and buy a ticket? how much is it? how does one get there (directions for a motorbike preferred)... And well, is it actually a night event or is it just a day event like the zoo or wat doi suthep?

I took my family a month ago and WAS impressed.

The Music, Wter and lazer light show is superb, and the trams that go into the safari itself have English speaking guides.

It costs 250 for Thais and 500 for Farangs, but if you can show a driving license or other proof that you live in CM then you should only have to pay the same as a Thai, we did.

It was very quiet when we went, so there are no crowds and no waiting time for the safari.

If you live in CM you really should see it

I took my family a month ago and WAS impressed.

The Music, Wter and lazer light show is superb, and the trams that go into the safari itself have English speaking guides.

It costs 250 for Thais and 500 for Farangs, but if you can show a driving license or other proof that you live in CM then you should only have to pay the same as a Thai, we did.

It was very quiet when we went, so there are no crowds and no waiting time for the safari.

If you live in CM you really should see it

I stand corrected from my original reply. Sounds like, over time, they've corrected some of the problems I encountered during my earlier visit. Perhaps it's worth a revisit on my part, but the post about the problems with losing animals was 100% true, If i remember was a result of having uncaring and in experienced keepers and created somewhat of a local scandal.

I went over New Years, January, weekend and it was packed. There was a 3 hour wait to take the tour. We decided against waiting the three hours and left. So I cannot give a review, except to not go during high tourist season and holidays.

It should be easy to find by motorbike. Head south on the klong road (Klongchonprathan Road, that goes by CMU), south of Suthep Road, following the big blue tourist signs (the floral show signs are still up). Around kilometer marker 9 or 10 is the first full traffic light, where you turn right.

These posts are the first I've seen on ThaiVisa by folks who actually went inside. I live close by, but won't bother going in. I'm also curious about the exhibit just north of there, the "Ancient Car Museum." Has anybody seen the ancient cars, such as from year 1506?

I went over New Years, January, weekend and it was packed. There was a 3 hour wait to take the tour. We decided against waiting the three hours and left. So I cannot give a review, except to not go during high tourist season and holidays.

Those crowds were due to the Flora Expo, which was in the same area. Chances are next high season won't be that massive.

I was there about a year ago (forget the exact date) and our group of three was pretty much the only people there apart from the staff.

On the plus side, it is nicely constructed, no pennies spared as it seems. The animals had about the average amount of space one sees in regular zoos. The light and sound show is indeed impressive - they have a computer-controlled fountain and laser setup in the middle of a pond, which can create rather spectacular effects. The staff we encountered were nice and polite.

On the minus side,

Why they call it a 'night safari' is anyone's guess, it does not resemble the safari parks in Africa one bit, apart from the mock-African decor used on the buildings and the Sound of Synthesized Rainforest and Ethnic Mumblings soundtrack that was playing in the reception area.

The impressive fountain in the artificial pond plays at ear splitting volume and blasts laser lights about 10 meters away from an island where they had placed a gibbon monkey. If I were that monkey, I'd go ballistic and fling as much poo as I could to complain. Other nocturnal animals are within the range where it must cause a fair amount of nervousness, and the entire park is within hearing range.

When we were there, they had tiger cubs locked up in tiny cages (2 times the body size of the cubs) near the entrance to the restaurant, where music was playing, and anyone could walk up to the cages and touch the cubs.

If things have improved there it is great, because it was sorely needed.

If you want to see a night safari then I think it's worth doing, the only other one I know of and have been to was in Singapore and they are quite similar, although the Singapore one just had abit more going on in terms of entertainment around the food area and also had alot more people.

They have 3 Thai and English tours aswell as quite a nice walkaround section around a big lake.

We got our tickets from an official stand in the night bazaar which included return transport, although that was last year.

Here's the site for it, it's right near the Royal Flora Expo, so easy to get to by scooter, car or taxi.

http://www.chiangmainightsafari.com/en.htm

I'm also curious about the exhibit just north of there, the "Ancient Car Museum." Has anybody seen the ancient cars, such as from year 1506?

PB.....I've been..absolute RUBBISH and a complete waste of money.

They don't have anything there that at our ages we don't recall seeing on the road when we were (slightly) younger :o

I'm also curious about the exhibit just north of there, the "Ancient Car Museum." Has anybody seen the ancient cars, such as from year 1506?

They don't have anything there that at our ages we don't recall seeing on the road when we were (slightly) younger :o

I'm feeling about 102 right now...... :D

Somehow I don't think I'll ever consider my old 1972 Mustang convertible as ancient.

In San Diego I fell in love with a Boss Mustang 72 Fastback - that and the fact she was being driven (very well) by a very pretty girl. Great pair - the girl and the car - hmm she had a great pair too but this is taking me out of topic.

Do you have the 'stang here or still back in the US? I saw a gun metal grey one being driven (fast) on the Mai Rim road about 6 months ago.

:o

CB

I'm feeling about 102 right now...... :D

You are only as old as the woman you feel - Groucho Marx

CB

Somehow I don't think I'll ever consider my old 1972 Mustang convertible as ancient.

My father in law in Lima Peru had a 72 Mustang Mach 1. What an awesome machine. He'd let me drive it occasionally to run errands for him. I'd be gone for about 2 hrs......

It looked like this, but in a gold color:

72_Mustang_Mach_I.bmp

Oh, and on thread, I haven't been to the Night Safari yet... :o

My father in law in Lima Peru had a 72 Mustang Mach 1. What an awesome machine. He'd let me drive it occasionally to run errands for him. I'd be gone for about 2 hrs......

72_Mustang_Mach_I.bmp

Sweet car - preferred my San Diego owner/driver though

Ok this could be a combined thread here - how about the first CB150 ride meet to the Night Safari? You, me, Peace Blondie, anyone else with a CB150 we know on this thread?

CB

[...note to self: must drag this back on topic...]Well, mustangs are horses; so were mavericks. Mavericks may not be at Night Safari, but they were named after the Texan whose last name was Maverick. He claimed he had no brand, thus all the unbranded horses were his.

Do they have horses and zebras at Night Safari? The river horse, also known as hippo-potamus?

72_Mustang_Mach_I.bmp

The 1969 Mach I was a beautiful car. A rich kid friend of mine had one in high school -- it could pin your head back from the moment he dropped the clutch. It was Ford's answer to the Mopar muscle cars.

post-14181-1178322441_thumb.jpg

Do they have horses and zebras at Night Safari? The river horse, also known as hippo-potamus?

They have Zebras and Hippos PB....never seen a horse atany type if zoo or wildlife park that I can recall

Ahem...

I believe that the topic is hot cars from UGs youth. :o