Paying tax and Social Security

Not sure if this is the right place to post, so happy to move if needed.

I started at a new international school this summer, new school for me and the school is also new.

I've been teaching here for 13 years, at another international school and at a university school.  Each of them has taken tax and social security from my pay check.  

The new school hasn't taken anything for the first 2 months that I've been there.

Regarding tax, I know you can do it yourself, especially if you want to optimise various tax breaks etc..  but usually the school will pay it on your behalf as standard, correct?

Are they legally bound to do this? Or at least register your presence at the school to the local tax office?

Social security, I was told that as I the school provides private insurance there is no requirement or need to also facilitate social security.

I have had private medical before but still paid social and would like to continue paying, as I have built up a long record which will eventually pay out, albeit a limited amount.

My understanding is that all employers must register new employees with the social and start paying within 30 days of the employee start date.

I have also read that social is not mandatory for private school teachers. I this correct?

Also, if I want to continue to contribute do I "need" to do it myself, or should the school organise it at my request.

A lady in the office gave examples of 2 fairly well known schools who she says do not pay social for any of their teachers.

Where do I stand ?

I want to be paying tax and social, but the school seem ambivalent.

What are their legal obligations

I know these things can be considered a warning flags that the school is not all it seems, but I like the kids etc... so if I can get this sorted Id be happy to say, otherwise I will consider my options.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Social security, I was told that as I the school provides private insurance there is no requirement or need to also facilitate social security.

I have had private medical before but still paid social and would like to continue paying, as I have built up a long record which will eventually pay out, albeit a limited amount.

My understanding is that all employers must register new employees with the social and start paying within 30 days of the employee start date.

I have also read that social is not mandatory for private school teachers. I this correct?

Call yourself happy. The deadline to continue with the Thai SS personally, which is only 438 baht, is three months.

It's not mandatory for private schools, so they try to avoid it. 

Go there and tell them that you'd like to continue paying in privately. You can keep that insurance as long as you want.

Mine pays around 8 K for meds/monthly, and I couldn't afford that with my salary. It's free for me, and only having the 438 baht SS is worth gold to me.

And that seems to be the best insurance once you're retired. 

9 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Maybe not the best but as good as any other It had paid out for 2 operations for me 100% and over a million baht the hospital bills were so I am happy with it 

Ok, I stand corrected. I did not think it was that good. You are right!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 6:21 PM, teacher no name said:

Also, if I want to continue to contribute do I "need" to do it myself, or should the school organise it at my request.

You have 6 months from last job to continue paying yourself. I pay 432 baht a month. I got a payment of about 180,000 baht for 14 years paying into it. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2020 at 6:22 PM, Big Guns said:

The school should deduct income tax. Private & international schools are exempt from.mandatory social security so most don't in order to reduce costs/maximise profit. They also pay zero corporation tax.

Interesting topic, if a private school offers private medical insurance are you able to contribute for Thai SS coverage through the school or isn't this allowed?