Thailand lifts emergency measures aimed at stopping protests

webfact

11 hours ago, Mavideol said:

here is a guy with some balls, Prayut could learn from him

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/15/kyrgyzstan-president-steps-down-amid-political-unrest

Kyrgyzstan’s president steps down amid political unrest

Kyrgyzstan’s president, Sooronbay Jeenbekov, has resigned after violent protests erupted over parliamentary election results, saying he had no desire to go down in history as a man who brought bloodshed to his country.

Sooronbay Jeenbekov maybe an honourable man caught in a situation not of his own making.  I wouldn't insult your intelligence suggesting Prayuth is a man cut from the same mold as Sooronbay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Such an excellent photo, so eloquently captures this moment in history, I love it!

I'm stealing it as my profile photo, first one I've had in a decade on this forum.

Thanks for bringing my attention to it.

It's a great photo, fantastic symbolism. I like my school girl photo holding the 3 fingers up addressing a crowd. I nicked mine from a Thai friend on Facebook

I've had some excellent conversations with Thais in recent years about politics and the Deleted. I know a lot of foreigners don't like to talk about these subjects or have no interest, but some Thai people want to talk to a foreigner about it and explain how they feel, plus understand the differences in our countries. I have had heard the grievances and a lot of them were not happy, in my absence I guess they are lot more unhappy with the economic situation too.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

So is a big protest slated for Saturday?  Scary times.

I heard a rumor some have seen yellow <deleted>s coming in via buses.  More scary stuff.

They gave Prayut until Saturday to resign, so I presume that there will be a big one for Saturday or Sunday. There were some small protests on Thursday with school kids outside malls and another outside a court house, it was a protest leader with glasses bit chubby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

It's a great photo, fantastic symbolism. I like my school girl photo holding the 3 fingers up addressing a crowd. I nicked mine from a Thai friend on Facebook

Yeah, I really love that one too. After watching the Thai soul under the boot for so long, I find much of the protest symbolism very moving.

Here's a terrific one I came across today, quite soon after having a discussion in which a friend observed that is was strange how the monks, after being so prominent in the Myanmar mass protests a few years back, are apparently avoiding the Thai protests. The HDR color range really makes this solitary monk's shawl all the more poignant:

bkk-protest-monk.jpeg.bc4b57ff98360d16a7f8f759f9d2a209.jpeg

I've had some excellent conversations with Thais in recent years about politics and the Deleted.

Oh, is the word Deleted banned? That's amazing.

Interestingly, this emoji is still permitted: ????

I've had some excellent conversations with Thais in recent years about politics and the Deleted. I know a lot of foreigners don't like to talk about these subjects or have no interest, but some Thai people want to talk to a foreigner about it and explain how they feel, plus understand the differences in our countries.

My observation would be that the Thai people are more political than most foreigners realize, but they are also culturally inclined to keep their heads down, so, to go there, they have to really trust you. That makes the current eruption all the more astonishing and admirable.

I have had heard the grievances and a lot of them were not happy, in my absence I guess they are lot more unhappy with the economic situation too.

These middle class students have supplied the guts and "dumb passion of youth" to go first, but it is the increasing economic insecurity among poorer families that will give this situation real teeth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

If that means what I think it means and the lads on here can put 2 and 2 together and get the point....Kudos to you.  

However, it seems from  the latest reports it might be pat ongo and soy milk from here on in. 

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

BTW. Do not like some of the changes TV has done. Minimalizes my time. 

Would suggest changes by directive. 

Luckily plenty of legitimate real journalism from outside sources. 

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

There are videos of them being bused in. Plus some of them have very unique haircuts. Kind of haircut Forrest had in Forrest Gump. 

Give a soldier a yellow shirt and he's still a soldier. The yellow shirts I've seen were lined up in serried ranks, just like a military parade.

A back door way of putting soldiers on the streets to combat the protesters. Expect them to initiate violence, little or none of which we've seen so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, polpott said:

Give a soldier a yellow shirt and he's still a soldier. The yellow shirts I've seen were lined up in serried ranks, just like a military parade.

A back door way of putting soldiers on the streets to combat the protesters. Expect them to initiate violence, little or none of which we've seen so far.

Yeap, and I’m pretty sure having soldiers dress as civilians to instigate trouble or even keep the peace is illegal by international law. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donnacha said:

Such an excellent photo, so eloquently captures this moment in history, I love it!

I'm stealing it as my profile photo, first one I've had in a decade on this forum.

Thanks for bringing my attention to it.

Brilliant idea. Why don't we all do it?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I read in the free press that the real reason was the law courts ruled it was illegal, same as the order to shutter some online media sources was illegal.

...is the truth.

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

For all those concerned,  Gen Khun Prayut Chan O Cha is not continuously occupied by the student protests, he has dozens of other daily schedules and meeting to attend.  The reason for his lifting of the emergency decree is simply because it's not warranted at this time. Should the student make trouble and violence again I am sure he will re-issue the order for emergency decree at the drop of a hat.  Hopefully the protestors will heed Khun Prayut's warning and get back to work and school.

Excellent work by Khun Prayut and the government.  Also, at this time Gen Khun Prayut Cha O Cha has been inspecting flooded provinces such as Changchasoe and Nakhon Ratchasima, as he needs to witness the devastation and crop destruction first hand. He has ordered the army to provide food, transport and shelter to the poor and needy.  

...is the spin.

• Like 1

The measures didn't do anything anyway. Was funny seeing the cops move away from blocking the protestors when they walked to the government house on Wednesday. Could almost see one younger BiB flash the three finger sign, he was smiling at the people.

The end is nigh. Only a question of style now on how the usurpers will leave the stage.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

I guess the majority of the yellows today are governmental office workers who were ordered by their superiors to counter the protests. The same applies for the conscripts. Many of them sympathize with the demonstrators.

BUT, dictatorships always have big resources of violent thugs, on which they can rely on. Sadists without empathy and without any ethics, who are willing to protect the totalitarian system and who do not hesitate to murder peaceful people. Also they surely get a gratification and a promotion after they have done their dirty "job". Such sadists combine their dirty character with their career.

In the current case, these guys might come from the same military schools and camps the generals came, and dream of a similar career. They are the same human scum as those who committed the massacres of 1973 and 1976.

Without such people, no dictatorship in the world would be able to exist.

Yep. Pretty much on the button.

20 hours ago, Artisi said:

So, nobody is travelling here anyway..... 

I am not dumb I know that but how much of a chance is there of even a minor increase in travellers if the additional hurdle of a travel advisory is in place. Even  though the Emergency Decree was lifted today the protests won't stop. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Typo

9 hours ago, donnacha said:

Impressive kids too. Whoever came up with these techniques is a genius. PR-aware and disciplined. If they end up hurting these kids world opinion will be outraged.

Completely mistranslated in the video. Its not "I hear too" , its ai hia Tuu. Roughly translated as "F*** off Prayout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donnacha said:

Yeah, I really love that one too. After watching the Thai soul under the boot for so long, I find much of the protest symbolism very moving.

Here's a terrific one I came across today, quite soon after having a discussion in which a friend observed that is was strange how the monks, after being so prominent in the Myanmar mass protests a few years back, are apparently avoiding the Thai protests. The HDR color range really makes this solitary monk's shawl all the more poignant:

bkk-protest-monk.jpeg.bc4b57ff98360d16a7f8f759f9d2a209.jpeg

Oh, is the word Deleted banned? That's amazing.

Interestingly, this emoji is still permitted: ????

I noticed that the other day when I quoted the name of a company with that 4 letter word and it deleted it so yes

• Like 1

I'm still amazed at how much leniency they have allowed, almost open discussion about constitutional issues affected the institution.

It does make me wonder if the elite/military may be re-addressing that fundamental tenant of how they retain power. That relationship has been a fundamental of the whole power structure for decades. But you would be an idiot not to recognize that the current institution doesn't quite provide the reverence that the previous one did

They will do whatever it takes to hold on to power, so it'll be interesting to see who gets jettisoned, or whether they go down the full repressive road

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They will do whatever it takes to hold on to power, so it'll be interesting to see who gets jettisoned, or whether they go down the full repressive road

To be honest, I think everyone realises the truth. You'd have to be very, very, stupid not to realise why the status quo is breaking down. Like I've said before, a compromise is needed. Nobody wants an Arab Spring situation, where anarchy rules. A twist there, a tweak here, and happy land is restored. Both sides, the patricians and the plebs, are gonna have to give something. This one way road pursued so far by the powers that be is going nowhere.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 1:03 PM, Mavideol said:

international community was making not so friendly comments about his (no democratic) actions

Doubt it .

If the big boss , will loose any sleep over the comments , of the International community ..

Maybe déjà vu, but with no indication of how the current protests will likely soon pan out, it brought to mind a novel I had to read for English Lit at school many years ago.  Maybe we are heading for an Orwellian conclusion? - the plot summary of Animal Farm on Wiki bears a scary parallel to the current escalation of rebellion in Thailand.  If you've read the book, it's not difficult to put names of the book's characters to those involved in the current strife in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm#Plot_summary