UK Visit Visa extension

My wife's UK visit visa has not been used this year because of the Covid situation (the UK was in lock down and it was unwise to travel). Is there someway that her visa can be redated should the situation ease next year without having to reapply and pay the fees over again? There will be many others in this same situation I would think.

21 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

My wife's UK visit visa has not been used this year because of the Covid situation (the UK was in lock down and it was unwise to travel). Is there someway that her visa can be redated should the situation ease next year without having to reapply and pay the fees over again? There will be many others in this same situation I would think.

This isn't really a Consular question.  You'd be better off posting it in the Visa & Migration to Foreign Countries forum, where there are many experts.

I doubt very much if they will refund the cost of the application fee.

They would probably say that the fee covers the cost of processing her application, that procedure was completed and her visa was issued.

I suspect they would say that there was no restriction on Thai people traveling to the UK, and that many did even during the lockdown and continued to do when self isolation was a requirement for travelers from Thailand.

Their fall back position would probably be that disinclination to travel isn’t grounds for a refund of the fee or for the visa validity to be extended, you could always submit a request.

I had the same issue. UK Visit Visa issued in June and expires in December 2020. If GF went to UK it would be difficult and more expensive for her to return to Thailand (quarantine and repatriation flight costs). Also, if I leave Thailand, I will not be able to return here. I wrote to the Home Office in September and their reply to me is copied below (with their email address).  

From: Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Team <home.office.coronavirus.immigration.team@notifications.service.gov.uk>
Sent: 14 September 2020 16:10
To:
Subject: UK Visas & Immigration: Reply to your CIT Enquiry (031)

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Immigration Team. If you have been issued entry clearance as a visitor but have been unable to travel to the UK during its validity due to COVID-19, you will not be eligible to have it extended or reissued. If your…

Home Office

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Immigration Team.

If you have been issued entry clearance as a visitor but have been unable to travel to the UK during its validity due to COVID-19, you will not be eligible to have it extended or reissued. If your visa is still valid you may use it to travel to the UK at any time until it expires, if it has expired you are able to reapply in the usual way.

You will also not be eligible to have your Visit Visa application fee refunded if you are unable to travel during its validity period. If you have taken out private travel insurance, you should make enquiries with your provider as to whether you can recover any costs relating to your visa application through them.

Please continue to check the GOV.UK website, where the latest information and advice on our response to COVID-19 is published:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-immigration-and-borders

The latest travel advice can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

Coronavirus Immigration Team

Pretty straight forward - they said "Naw Byatch. We didn't cause a problem and we won't pay for it." and neither would I expect ANY country to help or pay for ANY person who is not their citizen during the pandemic.

I really don't understand the feeling of entitlement to travel, especially now when travel is what caused the spread in the 1st place.

If this were the Zombie Apocalypse would you guys still be trying to travel? 

6 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Pretty straight forward - they said "Naw Byatch. We didn't cause a problem and we won't pay for it." and neither would I expect ANY country to help or pay for ANY person who is not their citizen during the pandemic.

I really don't understand the feeling of entitlement to travel, especially now when travel is what caused the spread in the 1st place.

If this were the Zombie Apocalypse would you guys still be trying to travel? 

But we chose to be responsible and not travel in a pandemic. Perhaps next time we should stick 2 fingers up at the government and travel to reciprocate their attitude...

4 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

But we chose to be responsible and not travel in a pandemic. Perhaps next time we should stick 2 fingers up at the government and travel to reciprocate their attitude...

Agreed, I think you were responsible not to travel. The least the British government could do for you as a British citizen and your wife (after paying all the fees) would be simply to reissue the visa for future dates. Easy to do and minimal processing time as you've already satisfied them of the entry requirements. Just a simple date change on unused visa. Hardly difficult if they chose to help you. 

On 10/26/2020 at 11:11 AM, soi3eddie said:

I had the same issue. UK Visit Visa issued in June and expires in December 2020. If GF went to UK it would be difficult and more expensive for her to return to Thailand (quarantine and repatriation flight costs). Also, if I leave Thailand, I will not be able to return here. I wrote to the Home Office in September and their reply to me is copied below (with their email address).  

From: Home Office Coronavirus Immigration Team <home.office.coronavirus.immigration.team@notifications.service.gov.uk>
Sent: 14 September 2020 16:10
To:
Subject: UK Visas & Immigration: Reply to your CIT Enquiry (031)

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Immigration Team. If you have been issued entry clearance as a visitor but have been unable to travel to the UK during its validity due to COVID-19, you will not be eligible to have it extended or reissued. If your…

Home Office

Thank you for contacting the Home Office Immigration Team.

If you have been issued entry clearance as a visitor but have been unable to travel to the UK during its validity due to COVID-19, you will not be eligible to have it extended or reissued. If your visa is still valid you may use it to travel to the UK at any time until it expires, if it has expired you are able to reapply in the usual way.

You will also not be eligible to have your Visit Visa application fee refunded if you are unable to travel during its validity period. If you have taken out private travel insurance, you should make enquiries with your provider as to whether you can recover any costs relating to your visa application through them.

Please continue to check the GOV.UK website, where the latest information and advice on our response to COVID-19 is published:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-immigration-and-borders

The latest travel advice can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus

Coronavirus Immigration Team

I was in the same boat and checked the travel insurance. Can't remember the exact wording but effectively said it did not cover anything that resulted from government measures. We were due to travel 5th May.

The travel insurance was for about 30 days and they offered to extend that for 3 months, not a lot of use. My wife also had a visa for Morocco that went down the drain, in total lost over £300 in pre trip expenses, as well as the hassle.

The only concession the UK made was if you delayed travel, when you arrived in the UK the visitor could apply if necessary to have the permission to stay extended up to the 6 months that would normally apply.

Archived