consumer unit LED light

ilikethai

Definitely after, and as a minimum it should have an in-line fuse.

What is this indicator light supposed to indicate?

Do you really want to connect that with no isolation / overcurrent / fault protection directly to a source capable of a potential current of several thousand amps?

I would connect nothing between the meter and the incomer.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I would connect nothing between the meter and the incomer.

True. I think most people would expect that the wiring in a consumer unit was *mostly* dead when they shut off the main breaker to make adjustments. Having a mains live wire laying in wait for some unsuspecting sod to touch just isn't cricket.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RichCor said:

True. I think most people would expect that the wiring in a consumer unit was *mostly* dead when they shut off the main breaker to make adjustments. Having a mains live wire laying in wait for some unsuspecting sod to touch just isn't cricket.

Particularly when said wiring appears to be attached to the cover of the CU just waiting to be ripped out by a clumsy oaf like me not expecting anything to be attached.

You may want to Google "arc-flash injury".

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ilikethai said:

But then led supposed to indicate "we electricity" or "main breaker is off or on"

Sometimes you can't have everything.

For example, I'd like to have three analog meters on my CU that would tell me if the opposite two of the village three phases power lines that I'm not connected to are still carrying power ...so then wouldn't have to trudge out in the middle of the night wearing only pajamas to look for house lights shining on down the soi telling me I'm a fool for being connected to the one phase that doesn't currently have power.

In your case, a light on the CU showing active power should be all you want. Whether it's before or after the breaker is immaterial. If the light is off and the breaker is on then it's a PEA/MEA issue. Simple enough to switch the breaker Off and On to see if it really just needed a reset.

Personally, I've only seen the need for power indicator lights when using three-phase equipment, as you really don't want to try using the equipment if less than all three-phases are up. But that may be just me. 

13 hours ago, ilikethai said:

Thank you all.  So after the breaker. But then led supposed to indicate "we electricity" or "main breaker is off or on"

It can indicate whatever you like, but you have to ensure that it is safe and it's not going to start any fires.

What does the instruction book say about it?

Personally, if it's on the cover of the CU, I wouldn't connect it at all, too much risk of accidentally pulling the wires out and leaving live ends.

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'd like to have three analog meters on my CU that would tell me if the opposite two of the village three phases power lines that I'm not connected to are still carrying power

Me too. One of my regrets is not getting 3-phase for just this reason (we don't need the power level), add an automatic phase-selector and single phase failures are a thing of the past.