Whatever Happened To Ron At The Filmore East?

goforit

Does anyone know what became of Ron of the former Filmore East restaurant? That was a real crash and burn story of someone who had been in Chiang Mai for a number of years and seemed to be doing alright - until he took the big leap and moved from Loh Kroi to the Ping river location. Just wondering if he is still in the area and what he is up to.

I really enjoyed his steaks and some of his other food, but he always seemed to be a lot more worried about wheeling and dealing than just running the restaurant.

There are a lot of rumors of angry investors chasing him around and out of town, but he hung around for months before actually making his departure, so I'm not sure what is true.

I do know that he went back to America to get a stake for his next restaurant.

When I first came to CM 3 years ago we looked at buying the old place, but he could never come up with the information regarding his "Claimed" turnover...so I binned it.

I know the guy that brought it was very upset that Ron opened another place of the same name by the river forcing him to re-market the joint as a Pizza Place.

I know this because a simlar thread about this ran a few years ago and the new buyer pm'd me to say he got caught for a couple of mill as the Pizza Place did not work out.

When I first came to CM 3 years ago we looked at buying the old place, but he could never come up with the information regarding his "Claimed" turnover...so I binned it.

I know the guy that brought it was very upset that Ron opened another place of the same name by the river forcing him to re-market the joint as a Pizza Place.

I know this because a simlar thread about this ran a few years ago and the new buyer pm'd me to say he got caught for a couple of mill as the Pizza Place did not work out.

The guy who bought his old place had the worst pizza I have ever had. That was why he failed.

Here's what I know. Ron got an american named Rocco to go in with him on the new location. I think Rocco put in 1 to 1.5 million baht but I don't know what his share was.

The place opened in December of 2005 and was already up for sale by April 2006. The rent alone was over 50,000 baht I was told. So even in the high season he probably was making ends meet and decided to bail early.

The problem was he couldn't sell even if he had a buyer. The Thai owner wouldn't let a new buyer take over the lease. Pretty much a total loss of investment from someone not new to the area. Just proves you got to check the fine print as you should anywhere, when you are signing on the dotted line.

Ron was only paying 10,000 baht rent at the Loi Kroh location and had a number of regular customers for his expensive American steaks besides guys from the bars who would wander down.

I know that his new location was totally out-of-the-way for me and I was eating at Loi Kroh quite a bit.

What a shame that he moved. :o

The guy who bought his old place had the worst pizza I have ever had. That was why he failed.

Maybee the quality of his pzas was poor, but he did not buy a Pizza Place,,he brought a Steak place called the Filmore East, and then found that all the regular customers were frequenting the "New" Filmore East, so all is regaular biz disappeared in a flash as far as I was told.

Does anyone know what became of Rocco? I think someone told me he went back to the US also, likely after his money ran out after the Filmore fiasco. He may have recently been married with a kid or two which wouldn't have helped his situation any.

Maybee the quality of his pzas was poor, but he did not buy a Pizza Place,,he brought a Steak place called the Filmore East, and then found that all the regular customers were frequenting the "New" Filmore East, so all is regaular biz disappeared in a flash as far as I was told.

Maybe, but as I recall, the new Fillmore East was planned before he sold it. Why would anyone buy a restaurant that had been closed for a couple of months under those circumstances?? The new owner of that place was a guy with no experince in Thailand, nor did he have any restaurant experience. He never opened as 'Fillmore East', but as some silly pizza joint...

Does anyone know what became of Rocco? I think someone told me he went back to the US also, likely after his money ran out after the Filmore fiasco. He may have recently been married with a kid or two which wouldn't have helped his situation any.

I'm sure that the girlfreind that he left behind to wait for him with no money would like to know about the new wife and kids! :o

I know that his new location was totally out-of-the-way for me

Come on UG..i wasn't THAT far from The Duke's :D

The Duke's is WORTH going totally out-of-the-way! :D

How about the new Dukes UG, how's it shaping up?

A little off topic.......:o

We've eaten at the new Duke's 3 or 4 times because it is more convienient for me to get to than the original. The menu is mostly the same, other than a bunch of new "gourmet" pizzas which are pretty good.

There are problems with this and that - especially when Dave isn't around - but all in all, the place seems to be doing well.

We've eaten at the new Duke's 3 or 4 times because it is more convienient for me to get to than the original. The menu is mostly the same, other than a bunch of new "gourmet" pizzas which are pretty good.

There are problems with this and that - especially when Dave isn't around - but all in all, the place seems to be doing well.

I hear John has resigned!! This true?

Yes, before the place opened.

Dave is running back and forth between the two locations. :o

I just ported this over to the "Good Places to Eat in CM" thread to avoid going off topic.

New Dukes

Catch you guys over there before we get a "ahem this is off topic"

CB

I'm sure that the girlfreind that he left behind to wait for him with no money would like to know about the new wife and kids! :D

Back to Ron. :o

• 2 months later...

I'm sure that the girlfreind that he left behind to wait for him with no money would like to know about the new wife and kids! :D

Back to Ron. :o

As someone who was personally involved in this whole affair the problems began when the original Fillmore was sold on Loi Kroh and the new buyers discovered that 3 people had all invested in the place. As the weeks rolled by even more people started coming out of the woodwork claiming that Ron owed them money. I am sure there are people on this forum who Ron still owes money, I would be interested to hear from them. Despite the rumours that Ron has returned to the USA I highly doubt this, he is probably hiding out somewhere in Chiang Rai.

I was surprised how long he stayed around, considering all the money that he was supposed to owe.

I know that he left his girlfriend in the lurch with lots of expensive bills and no money, however, I was told that she had hooked a new tilac within a few months.

I must admit one thing, his steaks were really good! :o

I have knwon Ron for 5-6 yrs. I talked to him about 3 weeks ago and he is indeed back in the states( i am here as well now) trying to eek out a living. Never really knew the straight facts i felt whenever i talked to him about these things..

but yes his steaks where fantastic as well as his ceasar salad.

also heard she has a new sponor (or two)

I was surprised how long he stayed around, considering all the money that he was supposed to owe.

I know that he left his girlfriend in the lurch with lots of expensive bills and no money, however, I was told that she had hooked a new tilac within a few months.

I have knwon Ron for 5-6 yrs. I talked to him about 3 weeks ago and he is indeed back in the states( i am here as well now) trying to eek out a living. Never really knew the straight facts i felt whenever i talked to him about these things..

but yes his steaks where fantastic as well as his ceasar salad.

also heard she has a new sponor (or two)

Yes I totally agree that the food was very good. What I found most disturbing about the guy though was that you never knew where you stood, his life was a constant cloak and dagger affair. I assumed him being back in the USA was bullshit because he ignored my requests for a phone number to call him on, but maybe thats just paranoia.