[not-so] Superhiway Construction

jaideeguy

It's been how many? years that the underpass projects started, stopped, started again and now looks like stopped again. What a mess of traffic and no progress for many months. I'm sure that corrupt contractors and politicians are ultimately to blame and easy to point the finger at the last administration, but let's get on with it.

One of the best attractions to CM was that it was relatively easy to get around town, but lately traffic snarls are almost as bad as BKK.

does anyone know the story??

It's been how many? years that the underpass projects started, stopped, started again and now looks like stopped again. What a mess of traffic and no progress for many months. I'm sure that corrupt contractors and politicians are ultimately to blame and easy to point the finger at the last administration, but let's get on with it.

One of the best attractions to CM was that it was relatively easy to get around town, but lately traffic snarls are almost as bad as BKK.

does anyone know the story??

The superhighway sage will go on for ages still. The contractors ran out of money and time last year - refused to do anymore, got more money and apparently have run out again so are asking for more. The interim government has apparently refused so they aren't moving much. The overpass at the corner to SanKamphaeng was completed some weeks ago but the underpass still hasn't been done, it seems that work is still underway but at a much reduced rate. The rest of the highway is as bad or worse. Last time I went to the intersection of Th Chotanna heading to Mae Rim it looked like the overpass there was ready to be laid but don't know if it is completed.

And people wonder why 4WD pickup trucks are so popular - handy for the superhighway

:o

CB

I'll guess that it started in late 2003 or early 2004, and will be complete in......2009. It made the intersections slightly easier for a motorcycle, harder on the cars and trucks.

Yes, our traffic jams are getting worse. Huay Kaew inbound from the zoo to Central Kad Kaew sometimes just stops solid for minutes. Twice lately I've seen motorcycles jump the curbs and ride the footpath, something I'd only seen previously in Bangkok.

I'll guess that it started in late 2003 or early 2004, and will be complete in......2009. It made the intersections slightly easier for a motorcycle, harder on the cars and trucks.

Yes, our traffic jams are getting worse. Huay Kaew inbound from the zoo to Central Kad Kaew sometimes just stops solid for minutes. Twice lately I've seen motorcycles jump the curbs and ride the footpath, something I'd only seen previously in Bangkok.

The difference is that in Bangkok it is the CARS that jump the curb and drive on the footpath, you can kinda allow for motorcycles but a Toyota Explorer is scary.

The Toyota Explorer - the Volvo of Thailand?

CB

I think traffic in Chiang Mai is excellent. I love the Ring roads, they really channel big development away from the old town center.

The city will just grow and grow and sooner rather than later when you live somewhere off the Third Ring you'll be as 'in town' as anywhere else. Another Big C going up at the intersection of the Hang Dong road & Middle Ring, the first hypermarket to move truly outside of the traditional 'edge' of the city, the Superhighway / Aom Muang road. Also Global House of course.

If you thought Chiang Mai grew quickly the past 10 years, I think we've got something coming for the next 10!

Ok, slightly off topic rant. Seems the Nong Pratheep (Makro) intersection is almost done. The main one going nowhere I think is Khuang Singh, but honestly I think traffic currently flows around that building pit better than before when it was a single huge congested traffic light intersection.

Yess.. fortunately though that situation can't go to complete meltdown because Huay Kaew fortunately starts at Doi Suthep mountain, which is not a source of traffic. The university of course is, and as it expands it will add some traffic. It helps that Central/Kad Suan Kaew is on the decline in favour of Airport Plaza; soon it will be time for a third major shopping mall complex, you can bet it will be on one of the Ring Roads.