British Passport For Daughter

Note 5 – Section 7 – Declaration of Parent

(or Guardian)

A parent (or guardian) should complete and sign Section 7.

If the child is illegitimate, the mother should give consent.

If for any reason a parent/guardian is not available to

complete and sign the form the adult responsible for the

child may do so provided a parent/guardian gives written

consent or writes a letter explaining the circumstances.

This together with evidence of the parent’s/guardian’s

identity and relationship to the child, for example, their

passport and long-form birth certificate, should accompany

the application. In some countries it may be necessary for

both parents to sign.

The above note is an extract from the notes for a C2 passport application.

My gf and I are not married, hence our child is illegitimate? (or has this terminology changed?)

Can I confirm that my girlfriend has to complete section 7, and that section 8 must be completed by an upstanding countersignatory that has know her for at least 2 years? (should be interesting judging by the look on her face!)

We are both named on the birth certificate, and British nationality has been applied for. Birth date was 2007, hence father can transfer nationality independent of marital status.

Thanks for any help with this.

Thanks Scouse for your Birth registration thread, followed it perfectly until this!

Iain

From what I remember, when applying for a UK passport for a minor, only one parent or guardian need sign the form on behalf of the child (and that could be you as the registered father). The guarantors signature has to be someone who has known the parent or guardian for 2 years (not the child). This was applying in the UK it may be different if you are doing it in Bangkok.

Iain,

The Passport Agency website indicates that anyone with parental responsibility may sign the form, but, certainly, there's no harm in your girlfriend sticking her moniker on there. The rules about countersignatories stipulate that they should be either British or Irish citizens, and I don't know how these are enforced in Bangkok where it may be difficult to find some such qualified Brit or Irish citizen. Perhaps drop an e-mail to then embassy consular section.

Scouse.

I believe that the counter signatories are not required if the applicant/s apply in person to the passport section at the Consulate.

I had this problem three months ago as I knew no one who could counter sign, I called the Embassy in Bangkok, was told this and had no problems getting my new passport

Thanks for the help chaps.

I think the best course of action is for me to complete and sign section 7 and attach a letter from the mother confirming that she is in agreement and gives consent.

I assume the mums letter will need to be in English?

Iain

• 1 month later...