More than 400,000 travellers take advantage of long holiday

geovalin

Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has said that more than 400,000 local tourists have travelled during the first three days marking the Deleted’s Coronation Day and Water Festival holiday in the Kingdom amid the challenge of COVID-19 and floods.

The Deleted Norodom Sihamoni Coronation Day was held on Thursday and the Water Festival this year started from Friday and ended Sunday. The government announced in August it was cancelling mass gatherings to stem the spread of COVID-19. Despite the cancellation of the ceremonies, including the popular boat race along Tonle Sap River in front of the Royal Palace, the holidays still went on.

Khon said that for the first three days of holidays, from Friday to Saturday, more than 418,000 local tourists have travelled to various tourism sites across the country, mostly in Siem Reap and Kampot provinces. He said about 111,000 of them travelled to Siem Reap to visit various ancient temples.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50778636/more-than-400000-travellers-take-advantage-of-long-holiday/

• Like 1

Yes indeed, it has been a very entertaining and busy long weekend (Water Festival) here in Siem Reap. The central area either side of the river with its bars, restaurants and family shops has been packed with domestic tourists (Khmers and resident ex-pats). Lots of live music and really great fun. I went to a special Halloween performance at the Phare Cambodian Circus which was also very well attended but we had to wear face masks and have temperature taken - the first time in many weeks for me! Outside on the streets with the revelers, no face masks and definitely no social distancing - old normal I am glad to report.