Alibaba-owned Lazada suffers data hack impacting 1.1 million accounts

snoop1130

Alibaba-owned Lazada suffers data hack impacting 1.1 million accounts

2020-10-30T143541Z_1_LYNXMPEG9T1C3_RTROPTP_4_WHOLE-FOODS-M-A-AMAZON-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The Singapore Lazada website is seen in this illustration photo June 20, 2017. REUTERS/Thomas White/Illustration/File Photo

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore e-commerce firm Lazada said on Friday that customer information including names, addresses and partial credit card numbers had been illegally accessed in a breach reportedly impacting 1.1 million accounts.

The Alibaba-owned <9988.HK> firm said in an email to customers that the information was taken from a database of its grocery arm RedMart that was more than 18 months old.

"The customer information that was illegally accessed include the names, phone numbers and addresses, encrypted passwords and partial credit card numbers of RedMart customers," Lazada said in the email seen by Reuters.

Lazada added that it had moved to block access to the data and that its current customer data was not affected.

Lazada did not immediately respond to a request for further comment.

Singapore's main broadcaster ChannelNewsAsia said a Lazada representative had confirmed that 1.1 million accounts were accessed, a major breach in the city-state of 5.7 million.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-02

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Just do not give your Credit Card details in the internet . Better use a payment service or Cash on Delivery .

Lazada has a free return delivery service if you are unhappy with the product-no reason necessary.  All credit card companies will refund or reverse charges in case of fraud or unauthorized charges.  
You can set your notifications at your bank to notify you of any charges to your credit card via SMS.  Most banks allow you to switch on and off use of your card via their website-when the card is off, it is unusable.  If your card is compromised, they will issue you another card free of charge.

No reason not to use credit cards.

Waiting at home for COD is not convenient for most anyway.

Edited by Redline
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Why would anyone pay other than COD for goods coming from unknown sellers?

The payment is made to the platform - not to the sellers - only after delivery is money sent to sellers.  COD can be a real PIA.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Redline said:

No reason not to use credit cards.

Waiting at home for COD is not convenient for most anyway.

And how they deliver, when you paid by credit card, when you're not at home?

The can't of course, because you have to sign for it, and if you're talking about condo management or neighbours taking the delivery, then you can give them the money as well.

Yes CC companies can do charge back, if you have sufficient proof, and it will take time, sometimes months to be completed

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

Please explain

Not being home - not having the money.  With cash any family member can receive without fear they are paying for a junk package if they actually had the money available.  Faster transaction (many times just a hand over these days).  Money is accounted for in computer rather than being lost in dementia.  

Edit:  You do not have to sign for most packages if already paid and for those that you do anyone can sign - does not have to be addressee.

Edited by lopburi3

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

The can't of course, because you have to sign for it, and if you're talking about condo management or neighbours taking the delivery, then you can give them the money as well.

Yes CC companies can do charge back, if you have sufficient proof, and it will take time, sometimes months to be completed

I have never had a problem receiving a package.  I don’t usually sign for them either, they just toss them over the gate, assuming they are not huge.  

Anytime I have reported unauthorized charge, I have received a credit to my account in about a week.

like I said, when you want to use your credit card, go to the website and make it active-when your finished, make it inactive.  Problem solved.

Or, set the card for sms notifications, so you know when it’s being used, if you call immediately, you can stop the transaction then.

Edited by Redline

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not being home - not having the money.  With cash any family member can receive without fear they are paying for a junk package if they actually had the money available.  Faster transaction (many times just a hand over these days).  Money is accounted for in computer rather than being lost in dementia.  

That are pretty poor arguments.

When nobody home, it will not be delivered, COD or CC payment.

How difficult is to prepare the money within the next 2-3 days between order and actually delivery, and eventually give it to a family member if you're not gonna be at home?

Family members taking delivery of an already paid package, have a higher risk of accepting junk, because with COD at least they can reject the package if it is visibly not what it is supposed to be.

My transaction with Lazada are all COD, and on the day of the delivery the exact amount is ready on the cupboard, so when delivery arrives it takes seconds. Most of the time I don't even have to sign.

And if I change mind after order, because I maybe found it cheaper or discovered the seller to be not trustable, I reject the goods when delivery person phones. No hassle getting charge backs or whatever.

In the past 4 months I had 6 orders from 6 different sellers, which were never sent, and were cancelled by Lazada after the expected delivery date.

Luckily I had them all on COD, because I learned that lesson long time ago with Lazada

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Not sure I normally just pay by bank. One time transaction. Never had any problems with refunds or stuff. No data of my bank is saved and its much better then COD. Waiting with money.. pff. I rather have that sorted so I dont have to worry about it. 

I pay by CC online all the time and use Lazada a lot. When you get to the credit card details there's a box where you can select "save this card" for future transactions. If you do not click it, they don't save your information. Same for places like PayPal. They can save your CC details and even your password so that you can "one click" pay for stuff, but if they get hacked your details are vulnerable.
However, the chances of a place you use getting hacked and your details getting into the wrong hands and those hands actually being able to do something with the info is about as remote as the possibility that Immigration will get rid of all financial requirements for people on Marriage or Retirement Extensions.

Lazada always calls me before making a delivery. Saves time going to numerous homes only to find no one home. A couple times I've been away (far away) when they've called and I told them to just toss the item into my patio or leave it with security. Last time I came back from a 6 day road trip, as I was entering the village the security guy jumped up and scrambled to grab the packages that had arrived while I was gone (literally dumping them on my lap as I was sitting on the Harley).

My biggest problem with them lately is stuff showing as having arrived in Thailand, clearing Customs and being "handed over to our delivery partner" - then disappearing. 2 small orders last month and another a couple days ago. A week ago I had to contact Customer Service as I couldn't cancel the orders from last month as they were flagged as "shipped", even though they were 3 weeks overdue and had been marked as clearing customs a week before that. (The service rep spent a couple days trying to track down the items and sent me email updates, then told me the orders were cancelled and my money was being refunded. Guess they couldn't find out what happened. Somebody must have been happy when they opened the packages and found some rubber "boots" used to cover switches and wire connectors.

The last order showed as clearing customs on 1 Nov and then on the 2nd, for some unexplained reason, Lazada sent me a notice that the order was cancelled and they were refunding the money, even though they still had plenty of time before delivery date window was closed (like 10 days more I think). Maybe they knew someone had stolen the item. It seemed odd that they would cancel it the day after it apparently cleared customs and was handed to their delivery service.

Now I frikken have to try and order those things again but am heading on another trip so I'll wait until just before I go, so that they won't arrive until after I'm back (all going well). Assuming they arrive at all that is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cooked said:

Well at least I can log in to Lazada now, Shoppee I find difficult to use. Until next time when they again decide I'm part of a conspiracy to attack Lazada. 

Why would anyone pay other than COD for goods coming from unknown sellers?

Other than not paying for things that are never delivered or for data protection it is unclear to me why COD is preferable.

I only use COD with Lazada but I still occasionally received damaged goods, incorrect items, and products so deeply flawed that they are useless. There is no easy solution to this without lengthy discussions with customer care, vendors, photos, etc. I typically just bin this junk and move on. It's not as if you can open the package and examine it before you pay. 

Generally I limit my purchases to less than 2,000฿ and carefully read reviews and sharpen by BS detector before purchasing. More than 95% of the time I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Most importantly it allows me to obtain items that are simply unavailable to me even locally in Huahin. I was not surprised when the local Global House had no stock on the most common of all plumbing supplies, 1/2" faucet washers, just today. I'll just order them on Lazada and be done with it. 

The delivery cost is reasonable compared to the hassle of traipsing around Huahin and listening to repeated "mai mi" from lethargic and disinterested store employees. It's too bad that many Thai businesses have no concept of web presence or how to create a website if they are. It is what it is though. TIT. 

9 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I only use COD with Lazada but I still occasionally received damaged goods, incorrect items, and products so deeply flawed that they are useless. There is no easy solution to this without lengthy discussions with customer care, vendors, photos, etc. I typically just bin this junk and move on. It's not as if you can open the package and examine it before you pay.

I also only use COD but do not understand your problem with returns. I found Lazada to have an easy system, all documented on their website, no need to talk to anyone there. But as a farang cannot have the money credited to the Laz wallet. And some people worry about racism.

15 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I also only use COD but do not understand your problem with returns. I found Lazada to have an easy system, all documented on their website, no need to talk to anyone there. But as a farang cannot have the money credited to the Laz wallet. And some people worry about racism.

You are mainly correct. However I got a Lazada Wallet before it was disallowed to farang. Interesting that I had a small balance and when I have gotten a refund it goes into that wallet, where I can still use it for purchases. 

Yes, the return /claim system is documented but still flawed. I did not find it to be an easy system. I recently went thru it on a 30thb item with a 60thb delivery charge; it was all refunded to my Wallet. Another item however required that I print a label and drop the package at Kerry for return delivery, at no charge. OK, I have a printer, etc. What if I didn't?

I didn't have to verbally speak to Lazada but I did have to correspond with an agent there. Maybe there are some items that don't require that level of interaction. Maybe you got lucky or I didn't. The return had to be approved by the vendor, another interaction, which it was. What if he chose to argue the point? It turns out he made a judgment call on substituting items and admitted it. 

Even though dropping it off at 7 was listed as an option when I tried to use it it hung up on finding a local store to authorize so choked on that. It's not like there weren't about 10,000 of them closer to my house than the 10km drive to the Kerry office. Overall I spent two days, computer time, repacking time, and a few kilometers to get it done. I played along for this 120฿ item but won't do it again.

A broken item required me to correspond with an agent, provide  pictures of the item and the label, box, etc. I quickly got a full refund and Lazada told me to discard the broken item. Again, a cheap item. 

I guess it's all about how much one's time is worth and that's an individual decision. I'm glad it is flawless and easy for you but it hasn't been for me. 

I'm satisfied with my 95% success rate on Lazada and just write off the minor losses. 

I understand what you say be my experience was different. Just printed the return slip, as directed, took the item to Kerry and they handled everything even though I do not speak Thai and they did not speak English. Never had to communicate with the vendor but the item was from China so maybe that is the difference.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

You are mainly correct. However I got a Lazada Wallet before it was disallowed to farang. Interesting that I had a small balance and when I have gotten a refund it goes into that wallet, where I can still use it for purchases.

Nope, I also have an active wallet, and refunds can not be used for purchases, only can be withdrawn

8 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I understand what you say be my experience was different. Just printed the return slip, as directed, took the item to Kerry and they handled everything even though I do not speak Thai and they did not speak English. Never had to communicate with the vendor but the item was from China so maybe that is the difference.

Items from Thailand based sellers have to be approved for return by the seller, however if the seller doesn't respond within 5 days it get automatically approved. If seller disapproves you can open a dispute with Lazada.

Goods from China sellers get approved for return instantly, and are sent to the lazada warehouse, instead of the seller

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

Nope, I also have an active wallet, and refunds can not be used for purchases, only can be withdrawn

OK. I used some of the balance in my wallet two weeks ago for a purchase. Don't know what to tell you. My refund definitely went into the wallet. Only option I had as I remember. Once in the wallet how do they know how to distribute it? 

I don't even know how I could withdraw the wallet balance. Hard to believe they would send me a refund check or credit my bank account. Just another Mystery of the Kingdom I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Items from Thailand based sellers have to be approved for return by the seller, however if the seller doesn't respond within 5 days it get automatically approved. If seller disapproves you can open a dispute with Lazada.

Goods from China sellers get approved for return instantly, and are sent to the lazada warehouse, instead of the seller

So it's a confusing maze of details I'll just avoid. As per Greasy, Kerry accepted my printed label and package without discussion and gave me a receipt. But driving ten km each way is just not convenient. 

I accept the fact that Lazada does there best. I'm just lazy I guess. 

9 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

OK. I used some of the balance in my wallet two weeks ago for a purchase. Don't know what to tell you. My refund definitely went into the wallet. Only option I had as I remember. Once in the wallet how do they know how to distribute it? 

As you can see in the screenshot, refunds can only be withdrawn

When you click on the withdraw tab you will be taken to another page where you fill in your account details.

image.png.9fb708cbbd36481b3a2ba7efaee1644b.png

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1