Are employers obligated to provide health insurance to expats?

stament

Employers are not obliged to pay for private healthcare insurance.

As stated, most employees will be covered for treatment at a government hospital because most jobs for foreigners require payment of social fund contributions.

The exception to this are teachers at international schools. They don't make social fund contributions. I don't actually know what healthcare arrangements international school teachers have. Perhaps a teacher could share their experience.

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

As stated, most employees will be covered for treatment at a government hospital because most jobs for foreigners require payment of social fund contributions.

The exception to this are teachers at international schools. They don't make social fund contributions. I don't actually know what healthcare arrangements international school teachers have. Perhaps a teacher could share their experience.

Are you English? Using Obliged as opposed to Obligated. Good.

• Like 2

Any "decent Company will take out social security up to 750 Bht per month.

The Employer will match the contribution which then entitles you to a SS card & can be used at any Government hospital.

Please do not underestimate them, eg, Rama Thipodi is a very good teaching hospital

Anyone has some reference (EN and/or TH) for this. My employer told me to look for private health insurance....

I am the first and only foreigner at this company, they have absolutely no clue about the regulations.

On 11/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, natway09 said:

Any "decent Company will take out social security up to 750 Bht per month.

The Employer will match the contribution which then entitles you to a SS card & can be used at any Government hospital.

Please do not underestimate them, eg, Rama Thipodi is a very good teaching hospital

Slight correction - the hospitals of choice to avail via SS are not only limited to government hospitals,

but certain private hospitals as well.

Mine used to be Mission Hospital for the longest time.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:22 PM, peterpop said:

I have been offered a work permit.  I am 78 yrs old.  Would I be able to pay SS and get access to the Thai medical system at the same cost as Thais?  I somehow think this is too good to be true.

Doing what teaching?  78 is very old to be given a work permit, you must be highly qualified.  Bravo to you and to the employer for employing someone despite being over a certain age.

15 hours ago, varun said:

Slight correction - the hospitals of choice to avail via SS are not only limited to government hospitals,

but certain private hospitals as well.

Mine used to be Mission Hospital for the longest time.

Interesting, how do you find out the names of the available hospitals you can avail please?

On 11/4/2020 at 11:05 AM, blackcab said:

What about language schools, does anyone know of the rules regarding them?  My friend has a work permit with them but they haven't mentioned anything about healthcare.....

3 hours ago, stament said:

What about language schools, does anyone know of the rules regarding them?  My friend has a work permit with them but they haven't mentioned anything about healthcare.....

I'm sorry but I can't answer as schools are not my area. You should ask in the Teaching Forum, where you would definitely get an accurate response.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, stament said:

Interesting, how do you find out the names of the available hospitals you can avail please?

Best check with your employer - there should be a list of hospitals covered under the SS scheme

On 11/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, natway09 said:

SS card & can be used at any Government hospital.

I believe you can only get treated at the hospital you registered at when you first joined up I get a letter every year from SS asking if i want to keep the same hospital or want to change

On 11/4/2020 at 6:22 PM, peterpop said:

I have been offered a work permit.  I am 78 yrs old.  Would I be able to pay SS and get access to the Thai medical system at the same cost as Thais?  I somehow think this is too good to be true.

No have to be 60 or under if you are in the system before 60 it will continue

• Like 2