Do you always change both tires together?

MrJ

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Please explain what the relevance of high speed racing,

where incidentally the use tyres with no tread most of the time,

where the top teams don’t pay for the tyres,

where they are changed far earlier than private use,

to anything that has been discussed?

No it isn’t, the grip is a factor of the “grip tread” which is different from the core material, as long as you have a sufficient depth of that left you have good handling. Wear indicators are relevant for riding in the wet and also suggest the depth of the “grip tread” which will be well under them.

They know about winning races in formula 1. If you think that the race bikes have much to do with the bikes we ride that just shows  how little you know or how good the advertising is.

I once helped prepare a “street legal” race bike, it certainly wasn’t street legal though it conformed with the regs and wasn’t anything I would feel safe riding on real roads.

you are going to ride on these? Mr. Plod is going to be happy to see you.84587D76-E7F3-431F-B0F8-F9727AC78959.jpeg.a78331dd05949956c435e897bd8543a7.jpeg

These are slicks that have no profile same as what they use in F1 they are not for day to day use they are for racing . This topic was not about the profile of tires but if it was a good thing to change both tires if 1 is warn . My point was that if they change all 4 tires in F1 because of being the fastest safest and having the best handling that would also count for normal cars and motorbikes . I geuss you have an interest in Mr Plods shop or are maybe hoping that by advertising his shop you can get both your tires changed instead of just the one ????

• Confused 1

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

These are slicks that have no profile same as what they use in F1 they are not for day to day use they are for racing . This topic was not about the profile of tires but if it was a good thing to change both tires if 1 is warn . My point was that if they change all 4 tires in F1 because of being the fastest safest and having the best handling that would also count for normal cars and motorbikes . I geuss you have an interest in Mr Plods shop or are maybe hoping that by advertising his shop you can get both your tires changed instead of just the one ????

So the relevance is safer,  faster , and better handling in case you missed that . 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So the relevance is safer,  faster , and better handling in case you missed that . 

And i am not saying everybody has to do it that way , everbody it's own choice . But that's just the way i would do it , change both at the same time so both tires have the same profiledebth and being from the same date . I jist feel safer that way . Anywho everybody's own choice . 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 4:46 PM, canthai55 said:

Comparing road bikes to F1 cars ...

That makes sense

I am not comparing them i am comparing why they change all 4 in F1 because it gives you the best handling best speed and safest driving so i would also want that with my big bike best handling best speed and most important SAFEST driving . Maybe now it makes sense to you but it should in the first place already but that says more about you then about me . 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

I am not comparing them i am comparing why they change all 4 in F1 because it gives you the best handling best speed and safest driving so i would also want that with my big bike best handling best speed and most important SAFEST driving . Maybe now it makes sense to you but it should in the first place already but that says more about you then about me . 

I am not trying to offend anyone but try to let your brain process what your eyes are reading before trying to make a smart comment . 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

My point was that if they change all 4 tires in F1 because of being the fastest safest and having the best handling that would also count for normal cars and motorbikes . I geuss you have an interest in Mr Plods shop or are maybe hoping that by advertising his shop you can get both your tires changed instead of just the one ????

Change both tyres every 6 months, problem solved.

do get your spell checker serviced.

AFIK Mr Plod is banned by his job from running an outside business.

FWIW I have always changed MC tyres when they were due.

Maybe now it makes sense to you but it should in the first place already but that says more about you then about me . 

Try to justify your position all you want.

Fact of the matter is ... it is not true for street bikes.

If you feel safer, do it.

But it is not required.

I understand the difference between F1 cars and motorbikes i'm a F1 fan and i drive a big bike , my point was that in formula 1 they use the best of the best and technoligy that they use in new cars and only the best counts , so if they change all 4 tires that must mean that's the best way to go

Papa already gave the right answer. In F1 it would make no sense whatsoever to change only some tires because what counts is the time spent during pit stop and they need the exact same time to change one, two, three or all four tires as they are changed in parallel. Of course they'd prefer to have all tires as "fresh" as possible and they don't give a rats derriere about spending money on a tire. So the decision is trivial: change always all four tires. It has nothing to do with how advanced F1 is, the same applies to all similar car racing series where tire wear is important and changes happen during a pit stop.

The decision process of changing a motorcycle tire for private use is completely different and can't be compared to F1 unless the owner doesn't consider costs. Money is the only reason to not switch both at the same time. So one has to weigh cost savings vs. downsides like unbalanced/dangerous behavior of the bike which this topic was set to explore.

Edited by eisfeld

22 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Papa already gave the right answer. In F1 it would make no sense whatsoever to change only some tires because what counts is the time spent during pit stop and they need the exact same time to change one, two, three or all four tires as they are changed in parallel. Of course they'd prefer to have all tires as "fresh" as possible and they don't give a rats derriere about spending money on a tire. So the decision is trivial: change always all four tires. It has nothing to do with how advanced F1 is, the same applies to all similar car racing series where tire wear is important and changes happen during a pit stop.

The decision process of changing a motorcycle tire for private use is completely different and can't be compared to F1 unless the owner doesn't consider costs. Money is the only reason to not switch both at the same time. So one has to weigh cost savings vs. downsides like unbalanced/dangerous behavior of the bike which this topic was set to explore.

That's axcactly what i am trying to say change both for better handling and safety and who wants to weigh costs against safety ?? That's just plain stupid in my mind , or you have to be tired of living and not putting any valeu on your live . I only compared to F1 because they change all 4 because it gives them the best handling and fastest car just after pitting . If it would be better to have 1 or 2 70% or less tires on the car they would have left them on for sure no matter what the pit time . But that's ok maybe we think different about things but that's no problem everybody has his or hers own opinion . 

22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

If you spend a lot of time around Nana Plaza it is a good idea to change your rubber all the time.

Never wore two - so never had to change both !!! 555

555555 i like your comment and i never wore two as well but believe me if you wear two it will also be better to change both at the same time and who knows maybe it will give you better handling as well but for sure more safety ????

23 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Try to justify your position all you want.

Fact of the matter is ... it is not true for street bikes.

If you feel safer, do it.

But it is not required.

I am not trying to justify my position it's everybody's own choice everybody has to do what he or she thinks is best for themselfs . The only thing what i am trying to say is that i would change both at the same time because it would make me feel safer and let's me believe gives you the best handling and safety ,i never said it is required . 

20 hours ago, papa al said:

Change both every month would be 

better & safer than your present scheme,

right.?

I wait until there slicks in the middle either rear or front as long as there's no bad side wall splits because a set for my bike is 11,000 - 16,000 baht a pop.

On my Versys 650 both the Pirelli scorpions were cracking up just over 2 years old, they were dated as 3 years old by that time. 

I fitted Dunlop Trailmax dated nearly 1 year old and 4 years on they were fine, not hard, wearing well and sold the bike with them on. 

In Thailand I keep the side walls coated with the UV tyre cleaner, don't park in the sun and don't over inflate them.

There's a lot here with OCD if you ask me. ????

On 11/5/2020 at 2:17 PM, Nanaplaza666 said:

So you really think it has nothing to do with grip ?? You never saw the animation on your screen by degradation of the tires ?? Front and rear and left and right having different degradation . Going back to topic , i think it will always be better to change both front and rear together . Nothing to do with costs saving money or whatever because that's not what the OP asked he asked what's better and that's what i think is better to change both . And you think it's so everyone spends the same amount of time stopped ?? Some teams win a second just doing their pitstop faster . You know how much a second is in formula 1 ? 5555 . Sorry don't mean to insult just think it's funny that you think it's because it's more fair to let them stop the same amount of time .

I always assumed they are mandated to change all 4.

I understand the grip and also why they have several different compounds to chose from to plan their strategy. 

Pirelli could make them to last a whole race but.......

Supercars sometimes change two tires, as do Nascar but for them fuel is the determining factor for the length of stop.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 11/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, papa al said:

Change both every month would be 

better & safer than your present scheme,

right.?

Well aren't you a nitpicker , no change them every day is saver . When your rear tire is gone or lack of profile and you need to change it , then change also the front . And same the other way around . But if you don't understand that please don't comment save your precious energy for nitpicking on other things that are important . You must be very tired everyday of nitpicking on things like this i pitty you . Take a deep breath and move on it will make your days and live happier . 

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Well aren't you a nitpicker , no change them every day is saver . When your rear tire is gone or lack of profile and you need to change it , then change also the front . And same the other way around . But if you don't understand that please don't comment save your precious energy for nitpicking on other things that are important . You must be very tired everyday of nitpicking on things like this i pitty you . Take a deep breath and move on it will make your days and live happier . 

Thank you for your sage advise &  

expression of pity for my sorry state.

:wai:

Actually this is would be nit-picking:

saver >>> safer

i pitty >>> I pity

live >>> life

But if you don't understand that please don't comment save your precious energy for nitpicking on other things that are important .

Anyone who believes that it is safer to change both tires together - just because - is the one who does not understand.

U want to change both - have at it

To attack other posters who do not believe your - ahem - reasons for doing so is baloney

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Anyone who believes that it is safer to change both tires together - just because - is the one who does not understand.

U want to change both - have at it

To attack other posters who do not believe your - ahem - reasons for doing so is baloney

I am not attacking anyone just replying people who qoute me, i am just giving my thoughts on the case that's it . And if you think i do not understand so be it . Sorry for that "tire expert" . For the last time I would change both , everybody that wants to do something else then that is free to do so .