Thai Citizen and 30 Baht Health Plan - Does the plan exist - Is she eligible?

Thomas J

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

That is untrue. The scheme applies at all times.

However non emergency care is not available on weekends or holidays through the publuc channel. She likely used the private "after hours" clinic and for that one does have to pay.

Emergency care is available 24/7

After an accident on Saturday in which she was treated and told to return the next day for replace dressing, that is when she was charged on the Sunday , they said it was not free because it was a holiday it was 08.30  sunday

58 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

After an accident on Saturday in which she was treated and told to return the next day for replace dressing, that is when she was charged on the Sunday , they said it was not free because it was a holiday it was 08.30  sunday

If she was told to come back for a dressing change (presumably in the ER?) that had to be done every day then she should not have been charged. Can call NHSO hotline to complain. 1130

52 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If she was told to come back for a dressing change (presumably in the ER?) that had to be done every day then she should not have been charged. Can call NHSO hotline to complain. 1130

Thankyou , I will give she do that 

5 hours ago, gamini said:

anyone with a Thai ID can get virtually free treatment at every government hospital but be warned some are very good and some are very bad. So much so that many Thais pay a fee instead of using the free service. if you use the free service your medicine is very much limited to which is made locally by the governmentf phamacy  office.   I get free treatment ( don't ask me how) I have used it a few times but I had to wait hours with all the paying Thais treated before me. And the medicine I received was extremely limited and most of it can be bought very cheaply in any drugstore. So I prefer to pay the 200 bt and get much better service.

Also note because of the virus pandemic with a Thai ID you can get treatment at any government hospital and no longer have to go to your home hospital.

What is the 200 baht for?

I'm pretty sure the scheme is open to every Thai citizen, and it's one reason Thaksin is still overwhelmingly popular with lower-income Thais. The problem is it only operates in full in hospitals fully owned and operated by the government, so they tend to be crowded. It applied to my late wife six years ago. She was unable to hold food down, so they had her in a ward to feed her intravenously. She stayed in that situation for five or six weeks, total charge for the whole period including medication, was ฿30. Finally the doctor decided to operate, something went wrong, and she was transferred to the ICU. They treated this as the start of a new treatment, and had to pay another ฿30. She lingered another two weeks, with 24 hour nursing care, hooked up to a lot of expensive machines, and there was no further charge. I'm pretty sure the program is still in effect, but most Thais with means prefer to use private hospitals. Last year my niece had a cut that required stitches, and she went to the government hospital -- ฿30. Most Thais who have means prefer to go to one of the many private hospitals, but the program has literally saved millions of lives of poor Thais.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gamini said:

anyone with a Thai ID can get virtually free treatment at every government hospital but be warned some are very good and some are very bad. So much so that many Thais pay a fee instead of using the free service. if you use the free service your medicine is very much limited to which is made locally by the governmentf phamacy  office.   I get free treatment ( don't ask me how) I have used it a few times but I had to wait hours with all the paying Thais treated before me. And the medicine I received was extremely limited and most of it can be bought very cheaply in any drugstore. So I prefer to pay the 200 bt and get much better service.

Also note because of the virus pandemic with a Thai ID you can get treatment at any government hospital and no longer have to go to your home hospital.

This is not the case. Opening up to use of all hospitals has been proposed but not yet enacted except for a pilot effort in Bangkok limited to primary care facilities.

It will be quite difficult and complicated to open it to use of any government hospital as they will have to completely change the finance modality which is currently capitation payments based on population.

People still need to use the hospital designated for the area where they live. This hospital can in turn refer to a higher level facility if needed. that happens very often when the designated hospital is a district level facility, less often if it is a provincial hospital and very rarely if it is a regional hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:43 PM, gamini said:

No longer need to go to a local hospital can now get any government hospital. This is a new regulation. To stop people travelling back to their home to get medical treatment because of the virus pandemic

Any hospital was finally confirmed yesterday 6/11/2020.