Amazing Thailand: Lottery winning monk goes into hiding as freeloaders descend on the temple!

webfact

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

You only have to pretend that you can speak Sanskrit. German, or Italian will do the trick.

Most monks do not know what they sing, or mumble at merits. . But it sounds so differently.

First word you have to learn is lies. = 

Meanings of Lie in Sanskrit

verb 

1. अस्

IPA: laɪ Sanskrit: लाइ / ली

For those who need a break from their wives, there's a temple for foreigners near Ubon.

They might be the only believers of Buddhism and have the knowledge that is needed. 

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/

I'd agree about Wat Pahnanachat. They have a branch in the UK, in Warwickshire.

They are very strict there also, not allowing visitors (mostly Thais) to indulge in 'lucky rituals' or requesting lottery numbers, etc. as it is not part of Buddhism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

They are very strict there also, not allowing visitors (mostly Thais) to indulge in 'lucky rituals' or requesting lottery numbers, etc. as it is not part of Buddhism.

Some ( many) high school students who make the morning anthem prayers have to read the text from a paper.

And that's short that I can remember most of it. 

I bet that most monks here practicing Theravada Buddhism have no idea about Sanskrit and mumble it in a group at merits. 

Our monk, who seems to be very popular, has visitors from all over Isaan, but he's now gone super weird.

And I've listened to various problems of visitors, from a disappeared husband to good luck for an important test. And of course, the next lottery numbers, or a hint. 

He always finds the right treatment, and the usual bucket with cold water over your whole body can be pretty nasty when it's cold outside. 

I-Phone, computers, and many expensive things a monk shouldn't have are part of his temple. 

Isn't the idea to live in poverty to reach enlightenment? Not here in LOS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Thing is the lottery concept along with other gambling is all consuming for even those that practice devoutness to their faith .. our local clergy was always popping into the bookies down the road to have 10 shillings on the 2:30 at Lingfield .. 

" If it comes in it'll help towards the church roof upkeep " he'd say in between taking drags on a crafty cig' .. 

Before stopping off in the boozer on the way back to God's house .. 

The monk-y boy who copped for this should go an buy a gold plated hover board and go hover outside the quarters of the Abbott who got the hump in another thread about hovering monks .. that should really wind him up .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Splleign

On 11/6/2020 at 9:41 AM, keith101 said:

So true you can always see them looking at and or buying new phones etc with most likely donation money .

One monk donated 50 million baht before they started to build the new sections of a government hospital in lower northeast. One wonders where 50 million came from. 

Donations, or selling a Lear jet? Or a golden Rolls? I've seen this car in Marbella many years ago. You never know until you know. 

Golden Rolls.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire

On 11/6/2020 at 5:21 AM, hasitha77 said:

holy.... why on earth thai monks are so lucky with lotteries?   I wish I had this luck ????

In flemish we call this "hoerengeluk".

Geluk as in lucky

Hoeren as in short time Thai fiancé

Edited by oldhippy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Using money to buy a lottery ticket IS one of them.

Sorry to break your bubble, but no it isn't.  Basically there's only 4 rules that will automatically get you defrocked.  Stealing, having sex with a man, woman or animal, killing someone and boasting of supernatural powers.  Everything else is kind of left up to a Buddhist committee where the culprit goes through a kind of trial.   

1 hour ago, khaowong1 said:

Sorry to break your bubble, but no it isn't.  Basically there's only 4 rules that will automatically get you defrocked.  Stealing, having sex with a man, woman or animal, killing someone and boasting of supernatural powers.  Everything else is kind of left up to a Buddhist committee where the culprit goes through a kind of trial.   

.....according to your particular (sub) sect.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

.....according to your particular (sub) sect.

Well, yes.  According to the (sect) that oversee's the monks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma and Sri Lanka.  The ones in China and Vietnam and Japan may have different rules.  

1 hour ago, khaowong1 said:

Well, yes.  According to the (sect) that oversee's the monks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma and Sri Lanka.  The ones in China and Vietnam and Japan may have different rules.  

Do they oversee the "Burman" monk that calls for violence against Rohingya, the Thai monk with the space ship temple, the Sri Lankan monks that verbally attack muslims and hindus, monks in general that raise buddha statues?

Oh yeah, they have chosen different paths to enlightenment, right?

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do they oversee the "Burman" monk that calls for violence against Rohingya, the Thai monk with the space ship temple, the Sri Lankan monks that verbally attack muslims and hindus, monks in general that raise buddha statues?

Oh yeah, they have chosen different paths to enlightenment, right?

Every religion has its own corrupted people. 

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

As far as the "original" teachings of buddha go (but they were written down after hundreds of years), every buddhist that raises a statue of buddha is corrupted.

That's your opinion only. it doesn't prove your logic.
I don't know what your religion is, but simply it will apply to yours if you keep think the way you are thinking about other religions. 

2 minutes ago, hasitha77 said:

That's your opinion only. it doesn't prove your logic.
I don't know what your religion is, but simply it will apply to yours if you keep think the way you are thinking about other religions. 

Guess what? I do not believe in religions, or in other organised believe systems, such as political systems.

• Like 1