Rearview mirrors

dingdongrb

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Whats the problem, the driver has 2 other rearview mirrors to use, no different if it was a van.As long as the driver can view backward.

Really? My side mirrors are aligned to see down the sides of my car and into the adjacent lanes. I kind of agree that you would be able to see someone directly behind you using the side mirrors if those that are directly behind you are behind you from an adequate safe distance, but how many times have you driven where someone is riding your a$$? 

A safe astute driver should be using all 3 mirrors. 

NOTE: I drive a hatchback (5 door) where I can place a good sized load in the back especially when the back seat is folded down. Every time I have done that I have always ensured my load is not too high where the visibility out the back window is blocked.

• Like 1

I would say my Thai GF is one of the few Thai nationals who uses her rear view mirrors, that's because I have drummed it into her. The driving instructor she used while learning certainly did not.

Get out into the sticks, and there are quite a few scooters that have actually had their mirrors removed. The ones left seem to be for applying makeup.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Really? My side mirrors are aligned to see down the sides of my car and into the adjacent lanes. I kind of agree that you would be able to see someone directly behind you using the side mirrors if those that are directly behind you are behind you from an adequate safe distance, but how many times have you driven where someone is riding your a$$? 

NOTE: I drive a hatchback (5 door) where I can place a good sized load in the back especially when the back seat is folded down. Every time I have done that I have always ensured my load is not too high where the visibility out the back window is blocked.

Have you been to Thailand , ever??

A safe astute driver, in this country  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Get out into the sticks, and there are quite a few scooters that have actually had their mirrors removed. The ones left seem to be for applying makeup.

Chain guards are also done away with when the chain gets so stretched it cant be adjusted and makes a loud rattle. Remove and noise disappears .

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Have you been to Thailand , ever??

A safe astute driver, in this country  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Surprise - I am one..... and I have witnessed others, but I will side with you and say that the unsafe ones far outweigh the safe ones as the daily death rate on the roads can support that statement.

38 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

LOL..... You do realize that this is Thailand, don't you?

Driving Mirrors on bikes and cars are only for use in doing beauty functions like make-up etc.  They have nothing to do with driving!

PS; also used for hanging things from!

Edited by fangless

10 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Surprise - I am one..... and I have witnessed others, but I will side with you and say that the unsafe ones far outweigh the safe ones as the daily death rate on the roads can support that statement.

When I first came here I quite liked driving, it kept me alert.

These days I prefer to pay someone who is a safe driver, or if feeling adventurous let the wife drive

18 minutes ago, fangless said:

Driving Mirrors on bikes and cars are only for use in doing beauty functions like make-up etc. 

I thought the same before my OP but then I was thinking they could always use this (at least in the car) as most cars have them these days.....so rearview mirrors can still be an option....  ????

Mirror.jpg

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Really? My side mirrors are aligned to see down the sides of my car and into the adjacent lanes.

We can't really be responsible for you not having to side mirrors badly aligned and your lack of awareness of what is going on around you.

Semi trucks don't have rear-view mirrors and they seem to be aware.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

We can't really be responsible for you not having to side mirrors badly aligned and your lack of awareness of what is going on around you.

Semi trucks don't have rear-view mirrors and they seem to be aware.

Are they really aware?

I wasn't asking you to be responsible for my astute driving skills, was I?

.......and furthermore, if you ever paid attention while you were driving you would have noticed that many of those semi trucks have a sign on the back saying, 'If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you'.

See me.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

So how do you think the truck drivers manage, HGV, or box van, or even pick-ups come to that, (if they carry anything in the back)?  

I would suggest a good driver uses what's available, drives accordingly. Each to their own. (within legalities)

37 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

'If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you'.

What in Thai?

----------------------------------

Now to adjustment

• For the driver side mirror, roll up the window and press your head against the glass. Adjust the mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car.
  • For the passenger side mirror, place your head in the centre of the car (directly behind the inside mirror mount) and adjust the outside mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car. This is necessary even with convex (curved) mirrors where the image is distorted a little.

When you’re in your normal driving position, you won’t be able to see the sides of the car but will be able to see other vehicles in the adjacent lanes.

Edited by VocalNeal

21 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What in Thai?

----------------------------------

Now to adjustment

• For the driver side mirror, roll up the window and press your head against the glass. Adjust the mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car.
  • For the passenger side mirror, place your head in the centre of the car (directly behind the inside mirror mount) and adjust the outside mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car. This is necessary even with convex (curved) mirrors where the image is distorted a little.

When you’re in your normal driving position, you won’t be able to see the sides of the car but will be able to see other vehicles in the adjacent lanes.

"What in Thai?"

Not sure as I can't read Thai (only speak enough to be dangerous). But my point being is that it's obvious truckers have issues seeing behind them if they go to the extent of putting a sticker such as this on the back of their truck.

As for the side mirror adjustments, I don't follow those exact instructions but the result, for me, is similar except I like to see the sides of my car (but only near the rear).

38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

So how do you think the truck drivers manage, HGV, or box van, or even pick-ups come to that, (if they carry anything in the back)?  

I would suggest a good driver uses what's available, drives accordingly. Each to their own. (within legalities)

That's like asking, How do you think Thai drivers in Thailand manage turning a corner while cutting halfway into the oncoming lane?

I agree, use what's available, and in the picture I originally posted it appears that driver wasn't. So, I think we all can agree, Thais are not the best drivers and are far from 'good'.

14 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Many people in Thailand have cameras.

Our camera mirror unit acts a a rear view mirror and forward camera aswell as regular rearview mirror.

Maybe that car had one these also.

They sell them everywhere.

????????????

Good point, maybe they had one. But chances are they were watching their phone rather than any camera screen. And the pic I posted is an example I have seen way too many times years ago well before digital cameras were even in phones let alone cars.

45 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

That's like asking, How do you think Thai drivers in Thailand manage turning a corner while cutting halfway into the oncoming lane?

I agree, use what's available, and in the picture I originally posted it appears that driver wasn't. So, I think we all can agree, Thais are not the best drivers and are far from 'good'.

Agree! and based on my experience they dont even achieve competant !

As they do not receive any form of formal training (majority). No wonder there are so many deaths on the road hear. This of course is also partially due to the lack of efficient enforcement, but thats a whole new can of worms ! ,,,,55555

• Like 1

I hate not being able to see clearly out of any of my 3 mirrors. 

When carrying a lot of ‘stuff’ in my I still ensure the rear-view is not blocked. Not having having a clear view from central rear-view mirror dramatically reduces awareness of what’s around us. 

Stuffing a rear-shelf with juvinile na-lak dumb s#!t is just, well, dumb... but it doesn’t surprise me here. 

Realistically, everyone with a brain should be on the same page here - unnecessary blocking a rear-view mirror is stupid, there really is no defending it. Suggesting that its ok because Vans or Lorries do not have a rear-view mirror is hardly presenting an intelligent argument !!!!!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

When I first came here I quite liked driving, it kept me alert.

These days I prefer to pay someone who is a safe driver, or if feeling adventurous let the wife drive

I'll continue to drive my scooter and car for as long as I can, I look on it as a mental exercise to help ward off Ahlzheimers.

• Like 1

I always have to clear off the rear deck or parcel shelf or whatever you call it if someone else in the family has driven the car since I last drove it. Not only that but I have to remove stuff that is dangling from the rear view mirror and sometimes even from the sun visors. I can't convince anyone in the family to maintain clear vision when they are driving. I get similar results when I try to get them to turn on the headlamps during the daytime in order to make the car more visible.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Whats the problem, the driver has 2 other rearview mirrors to use, no different if it was a van.As long as the driver can view backward which they can.

Judging by his further comments I think he is seeking the outrage bus, which doe not seem to be coming ( either with or without mirrors!).  As  pointed out most of us with pickups rely more on side mirrors and manage just fine.

• Like 1

I have the interior mirror removed on both my cars.

Use the screen wired to the dash cam.

Most - 90%+ - can't use side mirrors anyway - see them turned around in their seat, facing the rear of the car to back into parking spaces !!!

That being said a stuffed whatever is not a hazard on the package shelf - now, an anvil is a different story

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The ones left seem to be for applying makeup.

Beat me to it.....carry on.....may I add popping zits as well?...

I have automatic ones in my car--I try to aim them at drivers behind me blasting me with those halogen bulbs..