Police Checks

RayOday

18 hours ago, userabcd said:

I have never been stopped and searched but it came close one evening. I was out for exercise along sukhumvit when 2 police on a motorcycle passing by stopped and called me over to them. When they called me over, I just looked at them, bewildered, and after a few moments they muttered to each other and just took off on their motorcycle down Sukhumvit. That incident left me feeling uneasy for many days as to what their motive was.

Don't answer back in English or Thai. Use an obscure language such as Hungarian or Bulgarian or Gobble-de-Gook. If they cannot talk to you there is a better chance they will give up and move on to the next sucker.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tandor said:

...so you paid them for no reason..unbelievable!

I always make sure I have the minimum amount of cash on me when I go outside my condo. This reduces the amount lost if I am ever robbed by the cops or a pickpocket. My Thai wife was always worried and said I was a buffalo for taking too much money with me because according to her, "Farangs are common targets because Thais think they are rich".

Of course, if a guy is heading towards Nana or Cowboy then the cops may have much better luck and is probably why they hang around those areas. I have never had an issue with them in Huai Khwang.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never had a problem since 1990 apart from some silly traffic violations over the years, hand over some baht job done no point in arguing.

The only times i know of anyone getting scammed/searched or locked up are new falangs on their first few trips to Thailand, mainly because they go silly in the bars or do something stupid but hey we all do that ive just been lucky i suppose ha ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

I think he had a reason. He felt threatened and confused.  Even if you are a macho man, a little sensitivity for others is nice.

..not about being macho or groucho..no need to play their evil stupid game..he could have said no..no..no..after he was/is brave enough to travel/get a condo/go jogging..how else are we ever going to stamp out corruption if you dont take a stand.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I've only been stopped once by the BIB when I was walking and that was about five years ago.  I had just walked out of Soi 23 at about 10:00pm and turned left towards Soi 25.  I was going to go to the Asoke BTS station but I saw about 4-5 of Bangkok's finest busy with some farang over by the Shell station.  Not wanting to be accosted by them I chose to just walk the opposite direction.  As I was walking I heard them call out in my direction.  I assumed they were yelling at me but I just kept walking and didn't turn around.  Finally one of them caught up with me and grabbed my shoulder.  I turned around and he said he wanted to look in my bag.  I told him it was just my gym bag and I had sweaty clothes from having run earlier in the day.  He still wanted to have a look.  I obliged him and he went through my bag but didn't unzip any interior or exterior pockets.  I was a bit nervous because although I didn't have anything illegal I'm not sure he might plant something in my bag.  He didn't search me or ask to look at my wallet.  After about two minutes it was over and I was on my way.  Never asked for money and none was given.  Lucky I guess.

they are not allowed to search inside, you must empty your bag and pockets in front of them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, solafr said:

they are not allowed to search inside, you must empty your bag and pockets in front of them.

True....  actually, if they want to search your pockets etc it has to be carried out at the station and witnessed by a commissioned officer. 

However, try teaching a Policeman in Thailand that his request to search you on the street is in fact illegal..... I’m not sure that would go down well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 1:49 AM, RayOday said:

Some background...I am 65 and in good shape so I do not look my age. I have lived in BKK for 5 years. Just after the last coup, there was a sharp spike in Thonglor police shaking down foreigners. In my case I was stopped by 2 motorcycle patrolmen. They wanted 50k baht because they said I had drugs on me. I told them I did not have drugs. They aggressively searched me and found nothing. They said if they wanted me to have drugs then they would make it so and I would be found guilty. I gave them 2k and they left. As a result of the many shakedowns

there was a public outcry with many expats registering their concern with their respective consulates. The concerns were communicated to the Thai leadership and positive action was taken.

Well last night at 10:15 I was walking briskly down Sukhumvit when 6 motorcycle police came at me from all sides. The location was near Asoke and within the Thonglor police  jurisdiction. They asked what I was doing and I told them I was out for a walk to keep fit. They asked to search me and spent about 25 minutes throughly, almost meticulously, going through everything I had with me. They saw my money but made no move or said anything that would lead me to think they wanted to keep it.  In fact they were careful to hand it back to me exactly as I gave it to them. This stop was not about trying to extort money from me. I find it troubling and strange that there were so many police focused on me. After a long yet fruitless search they turned and left as they came. I am writing of this account as I wonder if anyone recently had a similar experience or insight as to what is going on. I am interested in whether the search was a one off or is there an initiative underway and it's purpose. Tonight I did not go out.

Just the continuing demonization of the evil farang by the righteous Royal Thai Police. I can't wait for the COVID situation to normalize, so I can move to the Philippines. Thailand could have been a good move for me in retirement. Instead, it has been a massive disappointment as there is always the danger of ending up in jail for a "crime" I did not commit. Police are certainly corrupt in the Philippines, but not to the extent of THailand and Cambodia. The more desperate that things get, the more dangerous it is to be a farang in Thailand.

• Haha 1

The attitude of the police here is not that different to those in the UK. They will generally assess someone by appearance as worthy of attention or not. That attention here may be for financial gain, in the UK more likely for the prospect of offence prevention or detection. So scruffy people and scruffy cars get stopped, whereas newish cars and smart people are waved on or ignored. Con men adopt the same tactics when targetting a mark.

So to avoid unwanted police attention, especially when doing something you shouldn't, dress and act smarter and more confident than the average farang in wifebeater vest and dirty shorts.

• Haha 1

I had this on soi 33/1 turning in to go to Herrity's, about a year ago. 2 of them working together, Saturday morning about 11am.

It was just a "Hey you, where you go!" followed by a search of my wallet and backpack. I was friendly and after 30 seconds they were joking with me about what bike I had (they found my leather motorcycle gloves in the backpack) and what I was going to eat. 

No exchange of money was insinuated and they smiled and wished me a good day. I think they were genuinely looking for drugs and the reason they stopped me was probably because I found their presence there a bit unusual so I glanced back at them over my shoulder after I walked past them, which I guess made me look like I was nervous/worried about them. Plus I'd been out on the lash Friday night so maybe looked a bit peaky? 

• Haha 1