Great Alternative To Chlorine In A Pool

patrickq

If any of you have a pool and don't like the smell of chlorine when you're in the pool, or on your body when you get out, then look at trying H2O2.

I've got a large jacuzzi/very small pool, about 2 ms x 3 ms, and have been using H2O2 for almost a year, it is brilliant. Initially it was tricky getting the dosage right, I was putting a bit in every day or two, but then a little algae would form, or the water got less clear. I then discovered the best thing was to pour in a large dose every week or two, the water is crystal clear, rarely get algae, but if it appears, like it just has because of all this rain, I dose in some more H2O2, set the pump going and half hour later clear again.

The amazing thing is that the water is so pleasant to be in, no smell, doesn't ruin your skin and hair, in fact it is reputed to be beneficial and my skin certainly feels better after being in the water.

I don't know how easy it is to get hold of this stuff (H2O2 aka Hydrogen Peroxide), you need at least 35% strength, the one I use is 40-50%. I started by using the stuff from a pharmacy, but it worked out really expensive and didn't do the job as well. I pay 2,200 Bt for 25litre of a product called LomaFresh (essentially H2O2 with stabilisers I think), from Lomatec in Thepprasit Road. I've got a receipt here, but they haven't stamped it properly so I can't read the phone number! Anyway, if anyone is interested I'm sure I can get the number, they are about 50 metres up Thepprasit, on left hand side, heading towards Sukhumvit.

They may tell you to use something for algae and I've read on internet that some people say you need to do so, but my experience is fine without, once you get the dose strong enough. You can get an automatic dosing machine, think Lomatec sell them and you can get systems that produce effect of H2O2, but I haven't looked in to that as not applicable to a very small pool.

*** A word of warning - make sure you are fully protected when handling H2O2, this means thick rubber gloves, fully clothed and definitely always goggles. If you collect container yourself don't handle it without gloves, or make sure they wash it down liberally with water. H2O2 is very unpleasant on your skin, first time I got 25litre I moved it in the back of pick-up to secure it and it felt as if someone had stuck a knife under my nail, burned like hel_l and went white, I doused under running water and a few hours later it felt ok, the skin returned to normal after a couple of days - not the kind of thing you want in your eyes. OK, so now I'm more careful, a pair of gloves and goggles do the trick, just watch out that it doesn't splash onto my arms/legs when handling. You need to have smaller containers to transfer it to, then it is easy to pour into pool ***

If any of you have a pool and don't like the smell of chlorine when you're in the pool, or on your body when you get out, then look at trying H2O2.

I've got a large jacuzzi/very small pool, about 2 ms x 3 ms, and have been using H2O2 for almost a year, it is brilliant. Initially it was tricky getting the dosage right, I was putting a bit in every day or two, but then a little algae would form, or the water got less clear. I then discovered the best thing was to pour in a large dose every week or two, the water is crystal clear, rarely get algae, but if it appears, like it just has because of all this rain, I dose in some more H2O2, set the pump going and half hour later clear again.

The amazing thing is that the water is so pleasant to be in, no smell, doesn't ruin your skin and hair, in fact it is reputed to be beneficial and my skin certainly feels better after being in the water.

I don't know how easy it is to get hold of this stuff (H2O2 aka Hydrogen Peroxide), you need at least 35% strength, the one I use is 40-50%. I started by using the stuff from a pharmacy, but it worked out really expensive and didn't do the job as well. I pay 2,200 Bt for 25litre of a product called LomaFresh (essentially H2O2 with stabilisers I think), from Lomatec in Thepprasit Road. I've got a receipt here, but they haven't stamped it properly so I can't read the phone number! Anyway, if anyone is interested I'm sure I can get the number, they are about 50 metres up Thepprasit, on left hand side, heading towards Sukhumvit.

They may tell you to use something for algae and I've read on internet that some people say you need to do so, but my experience is fine without, once you get the dose strong enough. You can get an automatic dosing machine, think Lomatec sell them and you can get systems that produce effect of H2O2, but I haven't looked in to that as not applicable to a very small pool.

*** A word of warning - make sure you are fully protected when handling H2O2, this means thick rubber gloves, fully clothed and definitely always goggles. If you collect container yourself don't handle it without gloves, or make sure they wash it down liberally with water. H2O2 is very unpleasant on your skin, first time I got 25litre I moved it in the back of pick-up to secure it and it felt as if someone had stuck a knife under my nail, burned like hel_l and went white, I doused under running water and a few hours later it felt ok, the skin returned to normal after a couple of days - not the kind of thing you want in your eyes. OK, so now I'm more careful, a pair of gloves and goggles do the trick, just watch out that it doesn't splash onto my arms/legs when handling. You need to have smaller containers to transfer it to, then it is easy to pour into pool ***

i am using H²O² but one still has to shock the pool with Chlorine at least once a month (twice to be on the safe side) as not all bacteria are killed by Hydrogen Peroxide.