TFA Forces Second Device for Notebook Users

cmjc

May I pick your activated brains please?

I have retired in Thailand, and getting away from phones was a great relief, so I do not have any form of telephone.

Nor do I really want one ????

However, with the gradual introduction of TFA and OTP, to access my various internet accounts, I'm being "forced" to consider buying a mobile, simply to continue accessing my online financial accounts.

Here's my intended use:

1) One voice phone call a year... maybe two voice calls total, per annum.

2) Just 3 or 4 times a year I will need to confirm my ID by TFA.

I do not need a phone for anything else, so would like to get the very minimum device, and voice/data that I need.

It would obviously be wasteful to get a contract plan with a telephone company for such minimal usage.

My friends are paying 500 baht a month to keep their smartphones functional!

That's way more than I wish to spend.

What would you recommend as the most basic phone device, and phone access that will accomplish this?

Btw. My workhorse notebook is a 2015 Macbook Air on ElCapitan.

Thanks,

Colin

Many Thanks Luke, you've got the idea ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_1280

B&W display and loads of buttons (*chuckle*) and the right price!

Question: When banks set up TFA or OTP they neglect old browsers, and just tell you to update your browser when you inform them. So I wonder if a 2G Nokia will function to apply TFA verifiction to access my UK bank accunts?

Aside:

I'm amused to see you suggest I use Shopee, Lazada etc. because without a mobile device, my experience is, they refuse to deliver to you until you use a phone to contact them.

I tried buying replacement Philips shaver foils from Banggood, but their delivery agent refused to send it to the PO Box address I originally supplied, and returned it to China, when it was only 5km from my hand!

All they had to do was pop it in an envelope, and post it anywhere in Tld for 5 baht and I'd get it next day. I had already paid the 40 baht for delivery. Bangood did refund me eventually.

Would I be able to make the voice calls I'd need to speak to my UK Bank and PP UK?

Or is that merely for internet browsing?

The use of the term "Add-on" sounds like that'd be in addition to another AIS plan, doesn't it?

Edited by cmjc

4 hours ago, cmjc said:

Would I be able to make the voice calls I'd need to speak to my UK Bank and PP UK?

Or is that merely for internet browsing?

The use of the term "Add-on" sounds like that'd be in addition to another AIS plan, doesn't it?

Better for you is the DTAC Go Plearn SIM for 49 baht. The basic plan with it included an 'always on' 64 kbps connection for free; not a monthly subscription. Enough for sending text messages via application.

If you need high speed data in order to send larger media, you can apply a one day pack of 100 MB for less than 10 baht via *104*851*9# then pressing the dial key.

You can change the main package of any DTAC SIM by topping up 35 baht and applying *103*55*9# and then pressing the dial key. 

Do a few 20 baht top up to take the SIM validity over 90 days. Once the ninety days is up; you can extend the validity days for 2 baht per month.

DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.

• Press : *113*30*9#  for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
  • Press : *113*60*9#  for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
  • Press : *113*90*9#  for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
  • Press : *113*180*9#  for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
  • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Costs of a Nokia 1280 is less than 500 ThB ( Check Lazada for maybe better deals)

AiS ulimited internet @ 64 kbps 29 ThB monthly

https://www.ais.co.th/package/en/package_net_non_stop.html

Why would he need a data pack at 29 baht per month if the phone is not capable of utilising said data?

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why would he need a data pack at 29 baht per month if the phone is not capable of utilising said data?

I didn't know the Nokia 1280 is not able to use data.

At your style it seems I recognize you from a previous life.

• Thanks 2

Dear Eindhoven,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply ????

I take it this is what you are suggesting:

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/simdtac.html

Following Luke's helpful reply suggesting I get a Nokia 1280, I've found quite a lot of people wish to dump their "Smartphones" and get a Nokia "Dumb-phone", merely to reclaim their sanity.

So I'm warming to the idea that my very first mobile device will indeed be a Nokia 1280, as long as it will fit the criteria I outlined at the top of this thread.

1) Merely to ensure I can complete the TFA requirements on my UK Bank to login to my online  account. I use a Macbook to browse the internet, but need another "device" to satisfy the TFA aspect to actually get into my own bank account.

2) PayPal UK has added TFA so I cannot get into my own PP UK account either. I emailed them about it, and they insist I phone them to get back in. So I will require a telephone to do that.

I will probably have to do this TFA / Voice-call shuffle once a year from now on.

That is all I want a phone for, nothing else, so Sir... will the 2G Nokia 1280, and the DTAC Go Plearn SIM be sufficient, or will I also have to buy some sort of short-term plan to get started with Dtac?

Apologies for my ignorance, but I've shunned mobile phones for decades, and would like to keep them at arm's length as heretofore.

I'm quite happy managing things with a laptop, but needs must.

Colin

Edited by cmjc

Dear Luke,

I very much appreciate your assistance.

Reading up on the Nokia 1280, it appears to be a retro-classic enjoying a modern resurgence, so may well fit my needs.

I am in the mountains, don't have home internet access, so have to cycle to a local Wifi HotSpot to get internet access, which is only a minor inconvenience.

I mention this because that particular Nokia, being only 2g, doesn't have capability to connect to WiFi HotSpots... I've just discovered.

So if my Bank wants me to use a OTP,  as Amazon currently does, I assume it would not be capable. So perhaps a 4g mobile device would be better, I assume?

KIndly advise.

Colin

Edited by cmjc

11 hours ago, cmjc said:

May I pick your activated brains please?

I have retired in Thailand, and getting away from phones was a great relief, so I do not have any form of telephone.

Nor do I really want one ????

However, with the gradual introduction of TFA and OTP, to access my various internet accounts, I'm being "forced" to consider buying a mobile, simply to continue accessing my online financial accounts.

Here's my intended use:

1) One voice phone call a year... maybe two voice calls total, per annum.

2) Just 3 or 4 times a year I will need to confirm my ID by TFA.

I do not need a phone for anything else, so would like to get the very minimum device, and voice/data that I need.

It would obviously be wasteful to get a contract plan with a telephone company for such minimal usage.

My friends are paying 500 baht a month to keep their smartphones functional!

That's way more than I wish to spend.

What would you recommend as the most basic phone device, and phone access that will accomplish this?

Btw. My workhorse notebook is a 2015 Macbook Air on ElCapitan.

Thanks,

Colin

You cab buy time instead of talk time, you just have to ring them up, I only use mine for bank OTP and Lazada. I use my house phone if I want to make a call, it means they can't store my number unless I tell them.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, anterian said:

You cab buy time instead of talk time, you just have to ring them up, I only use mine for bank OTP and Lazada. I use my house phone if I want to make a call, it means they can't store my number unless I tell them.

Thank you for that input. Mr. Anterian ???? (I like ants too. Fascinating industrious little creatures. Taste funny though.)

I take it you mean I can buy "points" and use those to juggle what I use them for as I go along, by just ringing a suitable number?

That would be ideal for the minimal short term usage I foresee.

I do not have a landline, I used to have one here in Tld but it folded with the "Beeching cuts".(It was TOT, and was aglomerated. RIP. Hopelessly inept.)

Colin

Edited by cmjc

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for the suggestion, but Lazada only deliver if you have a phone, and I don't... yet.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/samsung-hero-3g.html

Looks promising,  but I'm hazy about whether it'd actually comply with my TFA, Voice, and OTP, requirements as stated above... what do you think?

Colin

Edited by cmjc

9 hours ago, cmjc said:

Many thanks for the suggestion, but Lazada only deliver if you have a phone, and I don't... yet.

Can't you just give them a friend's number and tell them to pretend they are you when Lazada call and to say that you are home when they phone.

They are only phoning to establish you are available to collect the delivery.

Edited by fangless

5 minutes ago, fangless said:

Can't you just give them a friend's number and tell them to pretend they are you when Lazada that you are home when they phone.

Yup, Lazada have my gf’s phone number so when they call they can at least get someone who speaks Thai on the phone.

They would be up shiitake creek talking to me !!

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

11 hours ago, cmjc said:

Dear Eindhoven,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply ????

I take it this is what you are suggesting:

Following Luke's helpful reply suggesting I get a Nokia 1280, I've found quite a lot of people wish to dump their "Smartphones" and get a Nokia "Dumb-phone", merely to reclaim their sanity.

So I'm warming to the idea that my very first mobile device will indeed be a Nokia 1280, as long as it will fit the criteria I outlined at the top of this thread.

1) Merely to ensure I can complete the TFA requirements on my UK Bank to login to my online  account. I use a Macbook to browse the internet, but need another "device" to satisfy the TFA aspect to actually get into my own bank account.

2) PayPal UK has added TFA so I cannot get into my own PP UK account either. I emailed them about it, and they insist I phone them to get back in. So I will require a telephone to do that.

I will probably have to do this TFA / Voice-call shuffle once a year from now on.

That is all I want a phone for, nothing else, so Sir... will the 2G Nokia 1280, and the DTAC Go Plearn SIM be sufficient, or will I also have to buy some sort of short-term plan to get started with Dtac?

Apologies for my ignorance, but I've shunned mobile phones for decades, and would like to keep them at arm's length as heretofore.

I'm quite happy managing things with a laptop, but needs must.

Colin

You do not need any kind of Internet access for SMS confirmations. So either of the phones recommended will do for you.

But, since you do occasionally use the Internet, it might be worth you getting a Smartphone in order to stun two birds with one stone.

First bird is the OTP/SMS confirmation for which you do not need any data plan or ongoing costs.

Second bird is providing an Internet connection for the household. 

A Smartphone does not just provide Internet for itself, but it can also share that Internet connection; by creating a HotSpot. So you can surf the net on your MAC with the same data plan.

But what is confusing is how you are able to write to us if you have no current Internet connection. Do you ride to a HotSpot with your laptop?

You can obtain an unlimited data(up to 10 Mbps/1.25 MB/s) plan currently for around 1350 to 1900 baht per annum. That is around 115 to 160 baht per month. Too much?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Can't you just give them a friend's number and tell them to pretend they are you when Lazada call and to say that you are home when they phone.

They are only phoning to establish you are available to collect the delivery.

Dear Fangless,

Oh I wouldn't do such a thing to a friend, imagine the repurcussions if the product was lost, or faulty etc. Then there's identity theft, and deceit involved, so not for me ????

When I emailed Banggood about it, I told them to leave the envelope at their local depot, tell me the location, I'd cycle the 80km. to collect it. "Sorry collection not allowed."

Abysmal service.

Genuine Philips replacement foils cost 650 baht, which is more than a new Philips shaver. (I noticed Tesco Lotus sell their excess Philips shavers off cheap every Autumn at 450 baht.)

Colin

26 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You do not need any kind of Internet access for SMS confirmations. So either of the phones recommended will do for you.

Dear Eindhoven,

Thank you again for your diligent response.

I see, that is good news.

I take it SMS means a brief typed text message?

If so, I may be stuck when one of my banks decides to vary their TFA requirements (on the vague excuse of "security", which is their usual modus operandi.)

But, since you do occasionally use the Internet, it might be worth you getting a Smartphone in order to stun two birds with one stone.

Not occasionally, I've been on the internet since it began, and maintain several websites, for which I use my laptop.

Yes, I cycle to local free hotspots to upoload files, and answer emails etc. Originally, I used internet cafes on dial-up to maintain the sites. This is now luxury in comparison ????

In my location a home internet connection is out of the question. (Hills, trees, cost, etc. I already enquired, and they try to force you to have a TV plan. What would I need a TV for?

I shall have to consider a Smartphone as you suggest. I test my sites on mobiles and iPads frequently (at Malls) it's mobile plans I'm unversed in. So I'm very gratefulfor your expertise ????

First bird is the OTP/SMS confirmation for which you do not need any data plan or ongoing costs.

Other than the SIM card and 49 baht limited plan you recommended previously?

I'm often out of reach of mobile signals, and I understand that Dtac can be somewhat patchy. Is there a way to discover if my loactions are covered by Dtac?

Second bird is providing an Internet connection for the household. 

A Smartphone does not just provide Internet for itself, but it can also share that Internet connection; by creating a HotSpot. So you can surf the net on your MAC with the same data plan.

Not sure I'd want that. I imagine using the 49 baht plan to connect my MBA would soon gobble up the Dtac allowance.

But what is confusing is how you are able to write to us if you have no current Internet connection. Do you ride to a HotSpot with your laptop?

Affirmative.

You can obtain an unlimited data(up to 10 Mbps/1.25 MB/s) plan currently for around 1350 to 1900 baht per annum. That is around 115 to 160 baht per month. Too much?

Ah I see, "Unlimited" so your 49 baht plan idea would function if I kept topping it up, working out at 160 baht a month, over a year.

How would such a plan cope with daily backing up and downloading my websites?

On the 5G HotSpots I currently use, tahtprocess can take 10 minutes or 40 minutes depending on traffic/thunderstorms. Much zippier at 3am. unless the termites are swarming, in which case they clog the vents and ports and killed my MBA for two months! (The dispaly backlight card burned out and I had to cycle 600km through the Monsoon to get it repaired!)

Excuse my waffling, and thank you for you assitance.

Colin

1 hour ago, cmjc said:

Dear Eindhoven,

Thank you again for your diligent response.

I see, that is good news.

I take it SMS means a brief typed text message?

If so, I may be stuck when one of my banks decides to vary their TFA requirements (on the vague excuse of "security", which is their usual modus operandi.)

Not occasionally, I've been on the internet since it began, and maintain several websites, for which I use my laptop.

Yes, I cycle to local free hotspots to upoload files, and answer emails etc. Originally, I used internet cafes on dial-up to maintain the sites. This is now luxury in comparison ????

In my location a home internet connection is out of the question. (Hills, trees, cost, etc. I already enquired, and they try to force you to have a TV plan. What would I need a TV for?

I shall have to consider a Smartphone as you suggest. I test my sites on mobiles and iPads frequently (at Malls) it's mobile plans I'm unversed in. So I'm very gratefulfor your expertise ????

Other than the SIM card and 49 baht limited plan you recommended previously?

I'm often out of reach of mobile signals, and I understand that Dtac can be somewhat patchy. Is there a way to discover if my loactions are covered by Dtac?

Not sure I'd want that. I imagine using the 49 baht plan to connect my MBA would soon gobble up the Dtac allowance.

Affirmative.

Ah I see, "Unlimited" so your 49 baht plan idea would function if I kept topping it up, working out at 160 baht a month, over a year.

On the 5G HotSpots I currently use, tahtprocess can take 10 minutes or 40 minutes depending on traffic/thunderstorms. Much zippier at 3am. unless the termites are swarming, in which case they clog the vents and ports and killed my MBA for two months! (The dispaly backlight card burned out and I had to cycle 600km through the Monsoon to get it repaired!)

Excuse my waffling, and thank you for you assitance.

Colin

49 baht SIM is a separate thing. Forget that for the moment.

The 115 to 160 baht per month equivalent is a one time payment for a whole year. so you pay 1350 to 1900 baht dependent on the network and you get unlimited data for the whole year, up to 10 Mbps in speed/bandwidth.

You don't use 5G HotSpots currently, you utilise a HotSpot transmitting at 5 GHz. Entirely unrelated to 5th Generation mobile networks.

Best way is to get a cheap Smartphone and to try out 49 baht SIM from each network. The one that gives the best signal and data throughput is the one you should choose. Then you buy the SIM that lasts for a year. Unlimited data at up to 10 Mbps. It's a very good offer. But of course you need to have a mobile phone signal. If poor, we might be able to erect an aerial...

5 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The 115 to 160 baht per month equivalent is a one time payment for a whole year. so you pay 1350 to 1900 baht dependent on the network and you get unlimited data for the whole year, up to 10 Mbps in speed/bandwidth.

Thank you for clarifying, I understand now ????

You don't use 5G HotSpots currently, you utilise a HotSpot transmitting at 5 GHz. Entirely unrelated to 5th Generation mobile networks.

It a landline based WiFi hotspot, one of many I use. It was upgraded recently, about 3 months ago, and uses 3BB. It's considerably improved my site download speed.

Best way is to get a cheap Smartphone and to try out 49 baht SIM from each network. The one that gives the best signal and data throughput is the one you should choose. Then you buy the SIM that lasts for a year. Unlimited data at up to 10 Mbps. It's a very good offer. But of course you need to have a mobile phone signal. If poor, we might be able to erect an aerial...

Thank you Eindhoven, wilco ????

Much appreciated.

There's a Dtac shop in my local Central Mall, so now you've armed me with the basic knowledge I need to get what I need there.

Thank you everyone who responded in this thread.

Colin

Dear Eindhoven,

Checking the details of the Dtac Happy Call 49 baht Sim you recommend, here...

I see it uses "Line" (via an App).

Since I only intend using the mobile phone to verify TFA / OTP  (by voice or whatever the UK Bank twists my arm to use) will it function via "Line". I ask because I doubt it will, since "Line" is  a third party application, not under the bank's control, and therfore very vulnerable to hackers.

Kindly advise.

Colin

3 hours ago, cmjc said:

Dear Eindhoven,

Checking the details of the Dtac Happy Call 49 baht Sim you recommend, here...

I see it uses "Line" (via an App).

Since I only intend using the mobile phone to verify TFA / OTP  (by voice or whatever the UK Bank twists my arm to use) will it function via "Line". I ask because I doubt it will, since "Line" is  a third party application, not under the bank's control, and therfore very vulnerable to hackers.

Kindly advise.

Colin

You are confused. ???? SIM doesn't use LINE. LINE is just one of many applications that can be utilised for communication. 

It's just offers free usage of those applications on your Smartphone for a limited time.

You don't need any of that for banking, as I told you earlier.

Smartphone/Data is entirely separate from the GSM/Voice call/SMS. 

Smartphone/data package is an added bonus that you can utilise anywhere. To power your Mac, to download/stream  movies or to take outside with you.

Banking just needs GSM/voice call/SMS. Though with the Smartphone you can actually log into your accounts via the Smartphone itself, no need for a laptop at all.

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You are confused. ???? 

You are correct :)

7 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

SIM doesn't use LINE. LINE is just one of many applications that can be utilised for communication. 

It's just offers free usage of those applications on your Smartphone for a limited time.

You don't need any of that for banking, as I told you earlier.

I see. Understood now :)

Though I am concerned about the progressive tightening of online access, and introduction of slithering bio-metrics by UK banks, under the guise of "security". But that is another matter.

Thank you for clarifying (again).

I shall get my bike-clips on and visit the Dtac shop.

Colin