Covid Travel Insurance Warning

jaizan

23 minutes ago, jaizan said:

So the Sainsbury's Insurance policy is invalid for travel to any country that requires you to take a covid test.    This is not at all clear during the application process.

I believe this comes back to a point I made when they first announced only approved Thai insurance companies are allowed to provide this cover.

They cover emergency treatment only.

Quarantining someone for weeks or longer in an expensive negative pressure isolation room in a country with a zero COVID policy even if they're not 'ill' is not an emergency treatment - it's optional, the option being demanded by the government with the zero COVID policy.

No insurance company in the world who will pay for that non emergency treatment unless it's a specially designed (read expensive) policy like the ones the Thai companies are issuing.

Also, infected Thais are allowed onto the planes and mingle with the other passengers....they don't need a test before they travel.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Quarantining someone for weeks or longer in an expensive negative pressure isolation room in a country with a zero COVID policy even if they're not 'ill' is not an emergency treatment - it's optional, the option being demanded by the government with the zero COVID policy.

Yes.   The only reason I queried the policy was due to the "emergency" word.   However, Sainsbury's invalidate the entire medical section, due to the covid tests.    Even if there is a later medical emergency.

As for buying Thai policies, it's still necessary for the purchaser to read the T&C to ensure the cover is suitable.     And consider if the company is reputable.

Also, whilst I do expect to pay extra for the increased risk of being sent to hospital, the cost of Thai insurance that I saw was way in excess of what I consider reasonable.    If the tests are done honestly, I consider my probabilility of getting covid whilst in Thailand to be a long way under 1%, as I need a PCR test just before going and am required to wear a mask on all public transport whist on my way there.    If I estimate hospital costs and multiply by 1%, then add this to a "normal" policy cost, then I don't get anywhere near what they charge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaizan said:

If I estimate hospital costs and multiply by 1%, then add this to a "normal" policy cost, then I don't get anywhere near what they charge.

Indeed, there's a short list of special 'approved' insurance companies as well, it's clearly a con.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaizan said:

A warning.

It has come to my intention that insurance companies in the UK are selling insurance with specific Covid-19 cover. 

However, this may be invalid for travellers to Thailand based on the way the insurance companies interpret the requirement to declare pre-existing medical conditions.

During the application process, we are normally required to declare any medical tests we are waiting for.    Anyone going to Thailand has 3 scheduled covid tests. 

According to (for example) Sainsbury's Insurance, if you don't declare those tests, their policy is invalid, despite it having a specific covid-19 section.

So the Sainsbury's Insurance policy is invalid for travel to any country that requires you to take a covid test.    This is not at all clear during the application process.  

Of course, if you only need an insurance certificate for immigration purposes, this is not a problem.    However, if you actually want medical cover, including for when you fail a covid test in quarantine and are sent to hospital, do check to make sure the cover will be valid.

Sorry but I don't get this. Why does having a covid test invalidate the insurance? Having a test is not having a pre-existing medical condition so why wouldn't you just declare it?

4 hours ago, jaizan said:

Anyone going to Thailand has 3 scheduled covid tests. 

Not sure where you get that 3 tests are required unless you are counting the ones done in quarantine and those would be after getting the insurance. Only 1 test required before departure and, again, that would be after getting the insurance.

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Sorry but I don't get this. Why does having a covid test invalidate the insurance? Having a test is not having a pre-existing medical condition so why wouldn't you just declare it?

Sainsbury's said they don't issue a policy to anyone who declares that they are having covid-19 tests, as they are awaiting a test.    

The policy is only valid if issued after the covid 19 tests.     Since the insurance is required for the COE, it's not practical to get the insurance issued after my first covid test in the UK, just due to the timing for COE and PCR tests.     It's certainly not possible to get insurance issued after the 2 covid tests in Thailand.

52 minutes ago, durhamboy said:

Not sure where you get that 3 tests are required unless you are counting the ones done in quarantine and those would be after getting the insurance. Only 1 test required before departure and, again, that would be after getting the insurance.

One test is required before flying, followed by 2 more during the quarantine period in Thailand.   That makes 3 tests.

The insurance is not valid if issued whilst I am waiting for tests.   So the insurance has to be issued after the tests.    The insurance is also invalid if I'm already in Thailand when it is issued.

Edited by jaizan
  • Like 1