Samui Immigration: My experience today applying for 1 year extension

On 11/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, STD Warehouse said:

Applying for this 1 yr extension on Samui today, based on being married to a Thai.

Thought the reason I got rejected might help out others going to the Samui office:

1. External house photo was in landscape orientation, they required in portrait.

2. Wanted birth certificate for both our daughters (I was applying based on my wife not my daughters)

3. House number signed printed on 4mm plastic and screwed to wall not accepted, I have to actually go and buy the numbers "2" and "8" and screw them onto our front door.

4. Hand drawn map did not include enough landmarks (I had the nearest 7/11, temple and pier all within 300m of our house)

5. The photocopy of my passport page showing most recent immigration stamp also had the adjacent blank page. This was rejected, the photocopy has to be only the page with the stamp and not any adjacent pages.

6. Marriage certificate is a UK one as is a slightly longer than A4, so photocopy was rejected, needs to be scaled down to A4 size when copied

7. Marriage certificate has the MFA stamp on the back and so photocopy was double sided - rejected - needs to be copied onto two separate A4 sheets

Nice to feel welcome doesn't it.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Don't forget the big X to mark the spot of the house. Sorry you met an IO who was abusing their power.  

Put a big X like on the pirate treasure cards and a good idea to get a quick extension and house visit.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, robertson468 said:

I have to agree with most Ex-pats that Samui Immigration tends to test ones patience to the limit, both pedantic nick-picking points and failure to provide advice on "exactly' what they want. 

A few points:

Why do they need a hand drawn map and a Google map?

Why do they need a map at all when they have your address and telephone number?

Why do you have to photocopy your Passport every year when they have previously had a copy, unless you have renewed your Passport?

Why are there so many repetitive questions on similar documents or why can't one just write "No change".  I am assuming this info is available on their data base.

Why do they need to know how many Brothers and Sisters I have?

Why do they need the names of my deceased Parents?

Thank goodness my Thai Wife is always with me at Immigration who actually deals with these Officers and keeps me calm!

TIT!

The officers are frustrated.

Edited by uksmdh
Spelling
  • Sad 1