Samui Immigration: My experience today applying for 1 year extension

When I renew my Non O retirement extension, I always photocopy the two open pages of the passport. Never had any problems yet.

In saying that, Samui Immigration is always very picky with their requirements for visas.

As you say, everything must be in portrait. Not landscape.

For my one, not only a google map showing place of residence, but co-ordinates AND a hand drawn map.

Annoying, but we can only go along with it, and check each year before renewal for the newest hoops they want us to jump through..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STD Warehouse said:

For the maps I had

1. Hand drawn map, with some landmarks within 300m, house address and GPS cords from google. The Immigration officer looked at it and said what are all these black bendy lines? "those are roads" we replied, the officer looked very puzzled, roads?

2. zoomed in google map with coordinates, house address

3. zoomed in google map with coordinates, house address and directions form nearest 7/11 store

4. as above but at different zoom levels

5. Zoomed out to see entire Island and showing house location, again with address, GPS cords and this time directions from the police station to the house.

6. Then all of these maps in terrain view and satellite view, (from google)

Maps got rejected!

I think next time i'll take a pirate style map on brown paper, crumpled up, with coffee stains and burnt edges.

actually just chatting with my wife and she said the maps weren't rejected, just questioned about why more landmarks or business were not placed on the hand drawn map.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

....Sorry you met an IO who was abusing their power.  

In fairness to the IO, they have kept the big bundle of documents we provided in a nice neat pile on their desk, and booked us in for a return appointment on Monday so we could provide the documents in the required format. 

So I guess my documents just didn't fit the required specification as their office stipulates.

I just wish it was clear before going into apply, that all these little formats, page sizes, page setups, photocopy rules where clearly provided before, then I could have got everything assembled to pass first time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

In fairness to the IO, they have kept the big bundle of documents we provided in a nice neat pile on their desk, and booked us in for a return appointment on Monday so we could provide the documents in the required format. 

So I guess my documents just didn't fit the required specification as their office stipulates.

I just wish it was clear before going into apply, that all these little formats, page sizes, page setups, photocopy rules where clearly provided before, then I could have got everything assembled to pass first time.

In essence you were delayed then and not rejected in technical terms.  I wish you well then and godspeed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

For the maps I had

1. Hand drawn map, with some landmarks within 300m, house address and GPS cords from google. The Immigration officer looked at it and said what are all these black bendy lines? "those are roads" we replied, the officer looked very puzzled, roads?

2. zoomed in google map with coordinates, house address

3. zoomed in google map with coordinates, house address and directions form nearest 7/11 store

4. as above but at different zoom levels

5. Zoomed out to see entire Island and showing house location, again with address, GPS cords and this time directions from the police station to the house.

6. Then all of these maps in terrain view and satellite view, (from google)

Maps got rejected!

I think next time i'll take a pirate style map on brown paper, crumpled up, with coffee stains and burnt edges.

It costs a few baht, but the best thing is to get the guy in the booth outside to print off your maps. He has been doing it for so long, he knows exactly what they want..

• Like 2

This is typical of Samui immigration last year my extension was turned down as I was 126 baht short in my 800k account as the bank had taken out commission for my debit card annual renewal the money was only out of the account for 24 hours before I realised what had happened , thankfully I had another account so I then had to go to the bank get a statement and letter from the bank   To prove I had sufficient funds all this for being 126 baht short .

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Is this your first extension? 

Just get used to it.

Some things are pretty standard all over Thai bureaucracy, like when you apply for a WP - foolscap needs reformatted to A4 - my lease was on foolscap and I ran around trying to find a copy shop that could the copy, only to find that it was knocked back at immigration, has to be A4.

Same with double sided copies - you would think it sensible to copy both on one sheet, right? Especially if it’s only a stamp of no consequence. Nope.

Another favorite - Thai ID card copied back and front on the same sheet but needs to be “over and under” not “side by side” - I have a file of scans now, that I just print off, the wife’s ID card is side by side, they accept it but they mumble it every time.

The only thing is to prepare everything accurately next year - with extra copies, so when a document that you checked, double checked and triple checked disappears into thin air - then you can just smile and say, no problem, I have a spare. No one likes a smart Alec, especially Thai immigration. 

Edited by recom273

Hi

Just one to add from my recent renewal at Phuket Town.

First time I got rejected because my annual health insurance did not run to the same date as my one year extension (Dec 21)

Had to extend my cover with the insurance company and get a new certificate.

Simple to fix but a bit annoying!

Cheers

57 minutes ago, jasonsamui55 said:

In desperation times like this, you would think they would be begging people to stay, maybe even paying them to stay, but in the twilight zone called Thailand, logic and common sense need not apply.

just crazy white farang fantasy: the Thais should "beg" now for the farang to stay. i might get banned but this is just disilusional...

sidenote. Desperate times are in America and the west, not here in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MarkT63 said:

Hi

Just one to add from my recent renewal at Phuket Town.

First time I got rejected because my annual health insurance did not run to the same date as my one year extension (Dec 21)

Had to extend my cover with the insurance company and get a new certificate.

Simple to fix but a bit annoying!

Cheers

If it was simple to fix why was it annoying? And what was annoying, the immigration officer for pointing it out, or you for not having the correct date on your insurance?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

This is why I just let my lawyer do everything and give them my passport etc .

In 12 years I have been to immigration 3-4 times in total as they requested to see me to ask what I do , where I live etc . Place is like hells waiting room in my eyes as they will do anything they can to be awkward or to make you run around over the most trivial thing that isn’t really relevant to visas . Just depends on what side of the bed they fall out of to set their mood in that place !!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

Applying for this 1 yr extension on Samui today, based on being married to a Thai.

Thought the reason I got rejected might help out others going to the Samui office:

1. External house photo was in landscape orientation, they required in portrait.

2. Wanted birth certificate for both our daughters (I was applying based on my wife not my daughters)

3. House number signed printed on 4mm plastic and screwed to wall not accepted, I have to actually go and buy the numbers "2" and "8" and screw them onto our front door.

4. Hand drawn map did not include enough landmarks (I had the nearest 7/11, temple and pier all within 300m of our house)

5. The photocopy of my passport page showing most recent immigration stamp also had the adjacent blank page. This was rejected, the photocopy has to be only the page with the stamp and not any adjacent pages.

6. Marriage certificate is a UK one as is a slightly longer than A4, so photocopy was rejected, needs to be scaled down to A4 size when copied

7. Marriage certificate has the MFA stamp on the back and so photocopy was double sided - rejected - needs to be copied onto two separate A4 sheets

Thank you for sharing your experience with the over powering lady behind the desk. 

I've too had my time with her, and share with your frustration. 

The changes were coming so fast and from all directions I failed to take notes or keep track for the following year, if I am stuck having to endure it again. 

So your list of items and how it was received will certainly help me if the majority of the boarders for which I would be interested in relocating to are still subject to closer when my renewal date come around again.

My second visit didn't get any better, since my first started off bad before I even sat down. 

In the end though the approval did get approved, though they had me file for a sixty day extension, while they sorted out the paper work, only to find out that the annual renewal would start on the date the paper work was submitted, and not the date that the sixty day extension the requested for. They also state it takes thirty days for approval, mine took over two months, for which I had to call in each day at first, until finally someone told me that I could just call in once a week to see if my docs had returned yet? Then once receiving the annual extension I was required to return 7 days later for the ninety day reporting. I have been filing for extension here since 2005, and this was the worst year thus far.

All I could do, was shake my head and leave asap.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

This is typical of Samui immigration last year my extension was turned down as I was 126 baht short in my 800k account as the bank had taken out commission for my debit card annual renewal the money was only out of the account for 24 hours before I realised what had happened , thankfully I had another account so I then had to go to the bank get a statement and letter from the bank   To prove I had sufficient funds all this for being 126 baht short .

!26bhaht being  3.5 Euros it should make a good story in most Western newspaper, I completely agree to respect the laws as best as possible. But a minimum of common sense must also exist in their application, and I think that 126 baht missing out of 800,000 deserved at most a warning, but not a refusal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I took the precaution of going into my local office (Kalasin) to ask them exactly what they needed, and they gave me a list - in Thai only, as the form of interest only to foreigners being in the international language of English would have been too helpful. There is no mention at all of the shape of the photos, nor of page sizes. And also, re the marriage certificate, when I have previously got a one-year ME marriage visa they have demanded that the marriage certificate should be one page and not two (ie double-sided, as per the actual certificate, which makes sense).

As usual, every office and apparently every officer makes up their own rule as everything is 'at the discretion of the officer'. Which means, of course, that they can demand whatever they want and when they say jump you jump. Wonderful country, where you never, ever know where you stand with anyone in a uniform.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

Applying for this 1 yr extension on Samui today, based on being married to a Thai.

For OP, and others with direct interest of how things are handles at Samui Immigration, it's worth visiting the local Samui and Phangan forum, with the pinned updated thread about the immigration office (don't mind the title say "retirement", marriage extension is included)...

Rules on Samui are in some cases little different from many other immigration offices, but following the posts and updates in the pinned thread, it's normally very easy – things like preparing all photocopies portrait, not stapled, ready to be looked through as a book, all copies signed; needed documents; Google-map and hand-drawn map, etc.– I talk from several years positive experience and polite service...????

• Like 1