Graphics Card Upgrade.

Jockstar

Can i buy an AMD Athlon 3500 processor and put it into my main board that i have? Then also buy the 7800GT card and then 1GB RAM. Will this speed my PC up greatly? BTW I'm in OZ now and not LOS.

If your MB is really a "K8N Neo 2 Platinum Edition" then it has a 939 socket.

Most Athlon 64 are on AM2 socket now.

You may find some previous version for 939 socket, but they're a bit more expensive.

If you want to try this, you could aim for a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ s939 which is at a decent price in France (around USD130), and then add the Gecube X1950XT AGP, and 1GB of good RAM.

It'll be an expensive upgrade, but your PC should be quite powerful.

Although, with so much changes, and so much money spent, you should really consider to change your MB as well, and then buy a Core2 Duo CPU (for example the E4400 or the E6600) + a 8600GTS or a 8800GTS. It'll be a more wise & perennial purchase.

PS: the 7800GT is a PCI card ; the Agp version is only the 7800GS, and it's far behind the X1950XT AGP, and just a bit better than the 7600GT AGP which is really less expensive.

You may find some previous version for 939 socket, but they're a bit more expensive.
On Ebay new about AUD$120.
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ s939

Specifications

Brand: AMD

Series: Athlon 64

CPU Socket Type: Socket 939

Core: San Diego

Multi-Core: Single-Core

Name: Athlon 64 4000+

Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz

HT: 2000MHz

L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB

L2 Cache: 1MB

Process Type: 90 nm

Vista Ready: Yes

64 bit Support: Yes

Hyper-Transport Support: Yes

Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional

Voltage: 1.35/1.4V

About AUD$100

buy a Core2 Duo CPU (for example the E4400 or the E6600

How much roughly?

Edited by Jockstar

it's not very easy, but if you know how to use a screwdriver, and look for a tutorial on Internet (with pictures), and if you are a a bit patient as well, there are really low chances you won't be able to do it... :o

But be sure to read a tutorial, and to understand how to apply thermal paste. (google for it)

Still not sure about a card. If i changed my MB to PCI express and went for a 8800GTS card. Cheapest on ebay is about AUD$409/ Bit much maybe? But then again will it last another 3 years before needed another upgrade? Decisions!

The 8800GTS 320MB is probably the best quality/price rate that should let you play for 3 years. Although, with computers, you never can be sure of the future.

The 8800GTS 640MB has a really lower quality/price rate.

Love it, people talking about PCIe cards, but read the question again. This person asking about what is possible with AGP.

Quick calculation for changing to a PCIe mainboard, cheap mainboard 3000 Baht, cheap DDR2 memory 2x 512MB =3300 Baht, VGA card 5000 Baht, processor 6000 Baht is already about 17,300 Baht.

17,300 Baht is surely something else as just paying 5000 Baht for a good Asus 7600GT 256MB VGA card?

He can just change the motherboard, no need to upgrade the memory or CPU - He said money wasn't a problem and somebody suggested a 10,000 Baht AGP card, My point was a 3,000 motherboard with PCI Express and a 7,000 baht PCI Express graphics card would be money better spent.

7600GT won't play new games particularly well (perhaps medium settings). Which may well be fine, but spending that sort of money on an AGP graphics card that will not be able to be used ever again if he wants to upgrade his PC at some stage seems wasteful.

I agree, do the MB upgrade then your investment in a GC won't be wasted, eventually you will want core duo.

The 8800GTS 640MB has a really lower quality/price rate.

The only legitimate reason to opt for the 640MB instead of the 320MB I have seen is if you are running hi res. If running low res, get the 320MB. 1600x1200 is borderline, 1920x1200 get the 640, 2560x1600 definitely get the 640.

Another consideration is next month, after many months of delays, AMD/ATI is expected to finally roll out its completely new lineup of DX10 graphics cards known as the R600 architecture. For sure, you will have a better selection and possibly some better deals and nvidia price cuts as well.

If upgrading everything, note sometime in the next year there may be yet a new socket for the upcoming 45nm intel cpu's. Intel is moving rapidly. By the end of next year they expect the overwhelming majority of CPU's sold to be 45nm even though the first ones won't exist until roughly end of year. And they are talking about outfitting them with the next generation RAM DDR3 vs DDR2 today plus bumping the FSB from 800 to 1333. All I am saying is if you upgrade now, in about a year you may feel outdated all over again as your CPU, RAM, and motherboard will all be stuck behind a generation again LOL.

All I am saying is if you upgrade now, in about a year you may feel outdated all over again as your CPU, RAM, and motherboard will all be stuck behind a generation again LOL.

And if you buy during next year, then in 2 years, u'll feel stuck behind a generation as well... That's computers... :o

The socket going end of life so quickly after purchase is of special consideration when you are building an entire system around it. I have read the upcoming Intel desktop 45nm CPU's will technically still be socket 775, however existing motherboards may or may not work with them; it's a big unknown at this point.

You can build a really nice system now without waiting. I actually did last month because I wanted to do it before I came to Thailand and it is very quick and reasonably priced. But just thought it would be good to know what is happening with the socket, ATI's huge DX 10 rollout next month, and maybe also watch for upcoming motherboards based on Intel's new bearlake chipset that is also immenent and will rock with Core 2 Duo's.

Looking at going for something along these lines.

ASUS A8N32- SLI DELUXE nforce SL1 x16(socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB ( PCI-Express)

1GB RAM- DDR 400(i think?)

Currently have AMD Athlon 64/3000+ - Thinking about upgrading this depending on price. Mayber the 4000?

Buying a 500GB external hardrive

Does this look ok?

Does this look ok?

nope..!

Nowadays, the best quality/price is on Intel side with the Core duo.

So aim for :

MB : Asus P5B-Plus Vista Edition or Asus P5B Deluxe

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, E6420, or E6600

RAM: 2x1GB Corsair or GEIL or Kingston or G.Skill Extreme ( total = 2GB )

3D card: u got it good => Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

Edited by manutoo

Does this look ok?

nope..!

Nowadays, the best quality/price is on Intel side with the Core duo.

So aim for :

MB : Asus P5B-Plus Vista Edition or Asus P5B Deluxe

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300, E6420, or E6600

RAM: 2x1GB Corsair or GEIL or Kingston or G.Skill Extreme ( total = 2GB )

3D card: u got it good => Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB

I dont want to spend shit loads of money. So thats why i am going for the ASUS stated. That way i can use my existing RAM and also the CPU if i wish. That way saving myself money that i dont really have.

I dont want to spend shit loads of money. So thats why i am going for the ASUS stated. That way i can use my existing RAM and also the CPU if i wish. That way saving myself money that i dont really have.

but buying a socket 939 MoBo today is a lost of money. There's almost no CPU s939 anymore, and they are really not the most powerful ones, nor the best quality/price value rate.

Your 8800GTS will be under-loaded coz the Amd 3000+ won't be powerful enough for it.

So I say again like 1st time : buy a 7600GT to patient 1 more year, and on next year, if you have a bit more money, buy a Core 2 duo PC (or maybe the new Amd CPUs will be great as well), it'll be a lot more balanced and scalable configuration.

And it looks like you plan to buy MB + CPU + RAM , so the only thing you'd lose would be your current 1GB of ram.