Bomb Explodes In Downtown Bangkok

george

It’s just strange that nobody claims the "honor" of these bombs. Usually terrorists are all happy and proud that they did something bad and want the world to acknowledge their humane and joust accomplishments :D

Could it be that the government/police already know but just keeps it to themselves? I'm thinking back to the happy days during the coup where all news channels on my UBC were replaced with a "Sorry, there are sunspots on the satellite" announcement :o

Possible, but the so-called insurgents in the south never claim responsibility for their acts. Creating uncertainty about who did it seems to be part of their tactics.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

"But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict."

The root cause of our problem with radical Islam is that they have a sincere religious conviction (for which they are willing to die) that we must convert to their faith or die. Other than exterminating them how do you deal with this root cause?

Nature will deal with it eventually. If something can’t coexist in it’s environment it sooner or later becomes extinct. For the mean time it will go on killing everything that does not look like it. But that is another thread. This is about political bombs.

This is the most cowardly way of creating civil unrest and senseless violence: bombing!

A mere loud fireworks...

I always find strange the idea of using fireworks to create civil unrest and/or violence. I mean real one.

We could say that the current cursor, for this speciality, is set quite high... AKA truck bombing in Iraq for instance.

This is why this incident, plus the one at Major Cinema 3 weeks ago etc... have a strange taste of "unachievement". Difficult to take them seriously and at face value.

It's like someone would like to make us believe that there is civil unrest and violence...

I was in BKK over the weekend.. Must of been a firecracker or M-80.. No one in the city was really alarmed. Business as usual there.

A mere loud fireworks...

I always find strange the idea of using fireworks to create civil unrest and/or violence. I mean real one.

We could say that the current cursor, for this speciality, is set quite high... AKA truck bombing in Iraq for instance.

This is why this incident, plus the one at Major Cinema 3 weeks ago etc... have a strange taste of "unachievement". Difficult to take them seriously and at face value.

It's like someone would like to make us believe that there is civil unrest and violence...

I was in BKK over the weekend.. Must of been a firecracker or M-80.. No one in the city was really alarmed. Business as usual there.

---------------------

It's the thought that counts... Right now any way

I wish their families of these bombers one day be killed the same way by someone they really do not know. Nothing else will make them understand the crazyness of their acts. How stupid, how cowardly... and what do they reach???

You are asking for the whole scale massacre of innocent people, including women and children, to teach a lesson to a handful of evil people. I believe that it is people like you who are responsible for global terror.

Do you not have the sense to realise that it is the spilling of innocent blood that makes impressionable youths join terrorist groups? Bush's war on terror, and all the other world leaders who have joined the bandwagon have done nothing more than create more terrorists.

Yes, we must fight terrorism. But vindictive and indiscriminate acts of violence that you call for are not the way to fight terrorism. On the short term, you need good intelligence to wipe out terrorists while minimising civilian casualties. But only efforts at understanding the root causes of conflicts, and tackling them will provide lasting solutions to any conflict.

People like you, who spew forth vitriolic hatred are a blotch on the face of humanity.

yes amigo im sure if you held them in your loving arms,let them suckle your tit, run your nurturing finger through thier hair,and tell them how you want to understand them. They will forget that God told them to kill you and It will stop raining blood in some part of your feeble little world. Or maybe they will bite it off throw a tire around you and let your innocent cilvilians light it on fire.

Whats your alternative way? Killing inocents and being worse than the terrorists?

Beside that here we don't know who it was...

The posts in this thread are far more explosive than the "blast" referred to in the original post. That said, the junta has what it wants - an excuse to tighten security (hassle the opposition) in Bangkok.

Excuse me interrupting but has anyone seen any facts around here lately? Or would facts spoil the thread?

The facts will probably never be truly know. You need to look at the bigger picture and come to your own conclusion.

If the government is relying on the police and the police are tied to the root bomber, you need to be your own detective here and not depend on them. History has already shown that on more than one occasion, that is why I provided the analysis in post #78. Other posts are speculations that may or may not fit the puzzle. This is like eating lobster, you need to work at it to get to the meat.

Oh, I see, if you don't have any facts, just invent a few in the hope that it makes you sound intelligent and well informed. It's nothing at all like eating lobster! Lobster is useful and enjoyable. This thread, which started usefully by passing on a news report, has been hijacked by drivelmongers.

If there really had been a powerful bomb and people had been killed and injured, just look back at the thread and see what puerile dross someone would have to wade through in order to find out whether anyone that he knew was caught up in it.

Nothing wrong with people coming up with their own conclusions or speculations when the police themselves can't come up and expose any credible facts in any of the many bomb threats. Every investigation has been and still is intentionally turned into a predictable circus clown parade with top brass looking very concerned while stomping around crime scenes with no final conclusions later on.

Do YOU have any credible facts that have been overlooked on here? And i don't mean in this thread only, there is over a year's worth of them mentioning bombs and explosives in Bangkok.

I couldn't agree with you more Morden. I rely very heavily on Thai Visa to give me up to date news, facts and information.

:o

not , that's frightening .........................

Nothing wrong to state an opinion - this isn't a newspaper.

But please don't accuse each other of being right wrong or ... whatever.

Nobody knows like stated already .... I will wait for facts ... like after the christmas eve bombs. Now I see very clear.

Seems that things here happen and that's it, no matter how many were Injured, Dead or Affected.

As mentioned by someone earlier, the actual site of the Bombing was seen shown on T.V. rounded by lookers and curious outsiders wondering around.

Now, thinking realistically, how would they find any evidence of such a place ? Can't they lock the Area ?

I personally think that most of these Officials are living in a fantasy world with no Boundaries.

The Police and Officials here need to educate themselves and get a grip of what's really going on.

Seems that things here happen and that's it, no matter how many were Injured, Dead or Affected.

As mentioned by someone earlier, the actual site of the Bombing was seen shown on T.V. rounded by lookers and curious outsiders wondering around.

Now, thinking realistically, how would they find any evidence of such a place ? Can't they lock the Area ?

I personally think that most of these Officials are living in a fantasy world with no Boundaries.

The Police and Officials here need to educate themselves and get a grip of what's really going on.

Certainly you may consider that it may be deliberate to contaminate the crime scene if they were looking to cover their own. That way it won’t stand up in court.

Certainly you may consider that it may be deliberate to contaminate the crime scene if they were looking to cover their own. That way it won’t stand up in court.

have you ever seen a crime scene here whare there were not evryman and his dog climbing all over it???Strewth.

Actually,after carefull consideration,I can conclude that it was Thaksins butlers son that did it..... :o

'Actually,after carefull consideration,I can conclude that it was Thaksins butlers son that did it'..... rolleyes.gif

Like it! If opinions are all that's needed, that one's as good as any of the others here!

I think I've learned something today. If I want to get or offer facts, go somewhere else. If I want to listen to bigoted, uninformed opinions go to a bar. If the bar's closed, come to this thread. :D

Carry on boys! :D

Police appeal for bombing witnesses

(TNA) - Police investigating Saturday night's Bangkok are confident the bomber was trying to create a disturbance in Thailand, senior police officer said on Monday.

Assistant national police chief Jongrak Jutanont said police had searched a residence of the Lamsam family, founder of Kasikorn Bank, and other prominent public figures who lived near the scene of the incident and found no clues leading to the bombing that had wounded a young man.

Pol Lt-Gen Jongrak said police also believed that the bomb victim - identified as Prapat Muangsongchan - is not the person planting the bomb because he lives in the lane where it was placed near a public telephone booth. The explosion shattered glass and damaged the phone booth.

Now, police believe the culprit's only motive was to create disturbance in the capital, the police general said.

Police have urged passers-by between 8 pm and 8.30 pm Saturday to contact them it they witnessed any suspicious activity during that time.

Pol Lt-Gen Jongrak said Sunday that the bomb was simply made and was set to detonate in less than 30 minutes.

Several new security measures were to be initiated after the incident including setting up 84 new checkpoints in risk-prone areas in the capital nightly.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will install more streetlighting in dark or underlit areas in the capital. Moreover, the municipality is considering removing public telephone booths in areas where they are considered unnecessary to prevent ill-intentioned persons from planting bombs.

The city authorities also plan to install 1,700 additional closed-circuit surveillance cameras in risk areas and more lighting will be installed in public phone booths.

net result ,

setting up 84 new checkpoints in risk-prone areas in the capital nightly.

more streetlighting

removing public telephone booths in areas where they are considered unnecessary

1,700 additional closed-circuit surveillance cameras in risk areas

more lighting will be installed in public phone booths.

anyone want to guess at where this is going ??

Excuse me Morden, but before you run off after flaming everyone you have not answered my question in post #103. However if you can’t then I guess that makes you no better than the rest of us.

Is this the question to which you refer?

' You have completely lost me? Do you have a suggestion or proven method on how accurate information can be obtained?

I too like to avoid speculations and work with hard facts when possible'.

The answer is that I don't have any idea how to get the facts about this matter other than by reading them in the news media. Speculation might pass the odd idle hour but it seems to do little good. Throwing around wild accusations about people who are not in a position to respond also seems to be rather futile and unreasonable. It's claptrap that inflames, not someone asking for facts to shine through the fog.

It starts to take shape....

In the wake of latest bombing incident in Bangkok, Council for National Security (CNS) assistant secretary general Saprang Kalayanamitr Monday vowed to re-propose monitoring measures aimed at preventing violence.

"I have proposed them before and I am going to do so again," Saprang said. He is also an assistant army chief.

He declined to reveal the measures pending his discussions with relevant officials.

"If they don't listen, I will have to tell the society so," Saprang said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30033603

A few days ago, Saprang made a lunatic outing about "terrorist plans found in a flat in London"... In front of the ridicule, he backed down just after : "they were found... after the cold war".

Anyway. Just after : the little firecracker.

And now : Saprang is coming back full speed, with a very funny attitude : "I told you so ! If you had listened to me before... I have a secret plan for security" blablabla.

So from my point of view : it's like the culprit's signature. Non ?

It makes me think of the "strategy of tension" (see wikipedia entry) in Italy a couple of decades ago. All these guys must study it as part of Dictatorship 101. They know how to work it, and most folks are clueless. An effective recipe for manipulation and control of the country.

It makes me think of the "strategy of tension" (see wikipedia entry) in Italy a couple of decades ago. All these guys must study it as part of Dictatorship 101. They know how to work it, and most folks are clueless. An effective recipe for manipulation and control of the country.

I totally share your analysis.

The only problem for them : it's becoming really too obvious. Because they are a bit amateurish. Thai I mean. :o

And soon, they will have to understand that a firecracker... well is eventually a firecracker. And especially, when they came after some real bombs and damages during New Year Eve.

For tension, there is a gradation, a scale. If you compare with the south, the tension there is real . Very real.

If the generals want to take (this is the aim) an emergency decree in Bangkok, in order to suppress the "undercurrents", they will have to stop their obsession for phone booth and firecrackers...

All this story (for the moment) is pathetic.

Excuse me Morden, but before you run off after flaming everyone you have not answered my question in post #103. However if you can’t then I guess that makes you no better than the rest of us.

Is this the question to which you refer?

' You have completely lost me? Do you have a suggestion or proven method on how accurate information can be obtained?

I too like to avoid speculations and work with hard facts when possible'.

The answer is that I don't have any idea how to get the facts about this matter other than by reading them in the news media. Speculation might pass the odd idle hour but it seems to do little good. Throwing around wild accusations about people who are not in a position to respond also seems to be rather futile and unreasonable. It's claptrap that inflames, not someone asking for facts to shine through the fog.

Good honest straight forward reply and I applaud you for it.

As for me in the time I have been posting here on tv, my analysis and predictions have come true much more often than not. I imagine I was more surprised than most as to the high percentage of correct calls with over 70% correct. Even this bomb I predicted just a few days before the fact. When I offer an analysis I do so to help limit speculation and rumor. Take it for what it is worth, but unless you can do that yourself, your questions will go often unanswered on this and many topics. This bomb is truly one frame on a story board. Unless you know the other frames you will find yourself discovering that Thailand is also known for lack of good solid reliable information. That is one of the reasons so many businesses fail. A significant number of my clients are top executives coming to me for stress management, and almost all of them cite poor and deliberately misleading information as a stress factor.

There are a few other posters here on TV that have a good eye for putting the pieces of the puzzle together too and in some cases it has almost become a game on who can make the best call of future events.

As for this bomb, totally political and no connection to terrorists. The fact is terrorist in southern Thailand are much more difficult to predict as their targets are much more random and opportunistic. If it were easy to predict then more of them would be finding bullet holes in their bodies.

Lots of posts in this thread (approximately ten or twelve) have been deleted. That includes all the obvious flames, responses to the flames, unrelated arguments about unrelated countries, mere emoticons, etc. - including whatever good remarks might have been in those posts.

Enjoy the topic, but please keep on topic, DO NOT INSULT OTHER MEMBERS, and don't use upper case letters too much. :o

There is one thing that has really amazed me about the violence in the south and that is at least in the U.S. there seems to be very little knowledge of it. It was amazing a few months back I got an emergency e-mail from a friend in the states to escape while I could, seems there had been a teacher l killed on the south. Wonder where he had been when the 100's of others were killed, he simply didn't know.

Effecting tourism I don't think so, for there to be an effect, it would have to be well know in international circles. Whatever the actual causation, Thailand has done well in keeping this out of the international eye.

I don't have any answers for the south but things don't seem to be going well at all. I does seem very hard to believe that criminal's such as these can not be arrested. Anyone notice that if it happens in Bangkok a huge roar, the south just business a usual?

There may be a huge message in that alone.

The media bias in the US prevents the disemination of much infomation that would benefit the ideology of the present administration. When the voting record of media members is 90% for one party you'll likeky get slanted reporting. Major events will get a look at, but what they consider little stuff won't get a mention.

Secondly due to political correctness much reporting of antiIslamic nature is not shown. Pre WWII and during WWII most massacres of Jewish, Gypsy, Gay and other groups were never page one news, always buried in the back of newspapers, never page 1. ( see" Beyond Belief: The American Press and the coming of Holocaust 1933-1943" by Deborah Lipstadt) Those from the UK might remember her being sued by David Irving and her resounding courtroom victory. But now as then the press hides it head in the sand or actually puts a slant on the story favorable to the injuring party rather than the injured.

Mostly the media will simply say we've only so much time to report the "news" and have to select what will play best with its audience. After all they need to attract and keep their audience to be fair to their sponsers to have an audience

As for me in the time I have been posting here on tv, my analysis and predictions have come true much more often than not. I imagine I was more surprised than most as to the high percentage of correct calls with over 70% correct. Even this bomb I predicted just a few days before the fact. When I offer an analysis I do so to help limit speculation and rumor. Take it for what it is worth, but unless you can do that yourself, your questions will go often unanswered on this and many topics. This bomb is truly one frame on a story board. Unless you know the other frames you will find yourself discovering that Thailand is also known for lack of good solid reliable information. That is one of the reasons so many businesses fail. A significant number of my clients are top executives coming to me for stress management, and almost all of them cite poor and deliberately misleading information as a stress factor.

There are a few other posters here on TV that have a good eye for putting the pieces of the puzzle together too and in some cases it has almost become a game on who can make the best call of future events.

As for this bomb, totally political and no connection to terrorists. The fact is terrorist in southern Thailand are much more difficult to predict as their targets are much more random and opportunistic. If it were easy to predict then more of them would be finding bullet holes in their bodies.

John, oh John, decent guy though I'm sure you are really, I don't need your applause. Thanks for the gesture, though.

I'm aware that Thailand has a different culture from that of my own country. Indeed, my country has, even today, a different culture from yours, John. Your clients, under pressure from their less well informed bosses back home, would probably feel stressed in any foreign country. So, let's not blame Thailand for it.

I am also aware that much goes on behind the political scenes and what we are shown is often far from the full truth. My concern in this thread is that there has been a minor incident in BKK with very little information and yet the wolves are baying for the blood of just about anyone you can think of and others seem to be losing touch with reality. Whatever happened may, indeed, be part of a pattern or trend or conspiracy. Equally, it could have been a couple of left-over party fireworks set off by a drunken farang. We don't know so why speculate on such a wild scale and in such emphatic terms? Why criticise the police when we don't know what evidence they may have found? Why blame Muslims when there's no proof? Why blame Taksin or the present government without evidence? The hysteria that has spewed forth in this thread is the stuff that causes wars. It's the sort of reaction that we criticise our political leaders for having and look at the mess that they have go themselves into lately.

Why make a 'game', as you call it, predicting mayhem and death? Could you, perhaps, encourage members to predict something positive? Each is equally easy. 'Tomorrow something bad will happen in Thailand', or alternatively, 'Tomorrow, one of my clients will have successfully completed his treatment'. See? Some believe, John, that what you put out is what you get back. That's another characteristic of the Thai culture.

Let's just calm down and get this back into perspective. Worse things have happened in the world since this thread began.

John, oh John, decent guy though I'm sure you are really, I don't need your applause. Thanks for the gesture, though.

I'm aware that Thailand has a different culture from that of my own country. Indeed, my country has, even today, a different culture from yours, John. Your clients, under pressure from their less well informed bosses back home, would probably feel stressed in any foreign country. So, let's not blame Thailand for it.

I am also aware that much goes on behind the political scenes and what we are shown is often far from the full truth. My concern in this thread is that there has been a minor incident in BKK with very little information and yet the wolves are baying for the blood of just about anyone you can think of and others seem to be losing touch with reality. Whatever happened may, indeed, be part of a pattern or trend or conspiracy. Equally, it could have been a couple of left-over party fireworks set off by a drunken farang. We don't know so why speculate on such a wild scale and in such emphatic terms? Why criticise the police when we don't know what evidence they may have found? Why blame Muslims when there's no proof? Why blame Taksin or the present government without evidence? The hysteria that has spewed forth in this thread is the stuff that causes wars. It's the sort of reaction that we criticise our political leaders for having and look at the mess that they have go themselves into lately.

Why make a 'game', as you call it, predicting mayhem and death? Could you, perhaps, encourage members to predict something positive? Each is equally easy. 'Tomorrow something bad will happen in Thailand', or alternatively, 'Tomorrow, one of my clients will have successfully completed his treatment'. See? Some believe, John, that what you put out is what you get back. That's another characteristic of the Thai culture.

Let's just calm down and get this back into perspective. Worse things have happened in the world since this thread began.

I'm with you, Morden. :o

Fire crackers do not injure people from 10 metres away.Bombs do.I dont think people would belittle this had the guy looked in the bag and lost his face or head.Just lucky it didnt kill anyone.Had someone been using the phone, this may well have been the case

Hmm, some firecrackers in this country could definitely injure someone 10 meters away.

I think it was YouTube who blew the booth up. :o