Suvarnabhumi Airport - Shopping

I just left Thailand recently. Before you go through passport control there are absolutely no shops, only a few restaurants.

I wanted to pick up a few things at the airport. Some good quality sandals, training shoes, swimming shorts, sun block, a few books to read, toiletries, magazine, some snacks for the flight, some CD's, a sports bag, shorts and maybe a couple of extra T-shirts.

When I went through passport control I could not find ANY of these things in any of the shops. All I could find were wall-to-wall high-class designer label shops. Armani, Calvin Klein, Gucci... you name it - Bangkok airport has everything for those travellers who happen to be on their way to a fashion show, but absolutely nothing of any use to the average tourist of business traveller. You can buy a suit for $2000 that isn't even taylor made, and other high fashion gear - but nothing of any use to most people going on a holiday. When did Bangkok become the fashion center of Asia?

I have to say that I hardly saw anyone in the fashion shops in Bangkok airport, and those who were there didn't look like they were actually going to buy anything.

Most airport I go to have a sports shop, book shop, pharmacy, "normal" clothes shop etc etc. Bangkok's beloved airport has none of these things.

I did manage to buy a fancy sandwich for 300 baht, but is was rubbish. The only coffee available is the starbucks style foamy stuff - no filter coffee anywhere. What happened to filter coffee? And what is Italian coffee? I didnt know they grow coffee in Italy. What is English tea for that matter?

Maybe Thailand thinks they will attract high-class tourists by having this gear for sale in the airport - they will come in flocks from all over the world to go shopping in Bangkok departure hall - just as they are leaving the country. If I were going to bring a souvenir from Thailand it would be something Thai, not an Armani suit - If you have been on holiday in Thailand and bring someone some designer label stuff they are going to think its a copy anyway.

/rant

Found in the Suvarnabhumi most of the stuff you find in ALL airports and maybe even a little more. If you're expecting to find a night baazar, do your shopping IN Bangkok :o

I'm not sure where the OP was looking, but there are plenty of places to buy most of what he wants. There are several book and magazine outlets, two or three branches of Boots for toiletries, places to buy cds and dvds and a few places to pick up cheap food. Not sure about sports gear but there are definitely shops that sell tee-shirts.

Raving expensive too ,bottle of wifes favourite "Osihi" was about 70 baht as opposed to 15-18 baht down tesco's They learn a lot about farang dont they ?even Uk airports arent this bad for price where do you see a can of coke in the Uk for nearly 4 times the normal price (50p) ie £2.00 will never understand Thai "lack of logic" I buy nothing there including my favourite "chocolate elephants or tuk tuks" mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wanted to pick up a few things at the airport. Some good quality sandals, training shoes, swimming shorts, sun block, a few books to read, toiletries, magazine, some snacks for the flight, some CD's, a sports bag, shorts and maybe a couple of extra T-shirts.

then you should of gone to mbk for an hour or so.

99% of travellers are well aware that airport shopping is overpriced , the remaining 1% are the terminally desperate for whom continuous purchasing is a sad addiction.

Edited by taxexile

Whilst I agree that most people know all airports are a rip off, Bangkok does that exceedingly well. Gold at around twice the normal price with "Tax Free" written all over it. Water which would cost Bt7-10 outside for Bt65-90 is a disgrace. Having "King Power" as the sole concessionaire is wrong as well as there is no price competition and no product differenciation. Bars charging Bt160 or was it Bt180 for a small Singha are extracting the urine as well.

I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience but now I spend nothing other than some emergency food.

Just forgot, they say that the Nation and the Bangkok Post have sold out because they cannot rip you off for more than the standard Bt25 charge. Lies, Lies, Lies.

Edited by torrenova

Something seems to have changed recently with King Power and the cigarettes they sell. On Friday I went to buy a carton of Thai Marlboro at Suvarnabhumi. None of the King Power shops had it. I was told "Marlboro finished this airport".

On the other hand, they seem to have significantly expanded the imported foreign brands they stock. Plenty of English, Japanese, American and even Australian cigarettes for sale. But no Marlboro, imported or local.

Edited by whimsy

There are only 2 things to buy at an airport... Booze and Cigerettes. (And even thoses are just as cheap outside the airport in Thailand).

And maybe a few shotglasses when you realize you forgot to buy anything for people back home.

Airports are no different any where in the world...they have a captive audience and can charge whatever they like (and do).

If you can't be bothered to walk to one of the billion 7-11s to buy some snacks and drinks for the flight *before* you get the taxi, then you deserve to pay 70baht for a bottle of water.

Well I guess I didnt see the magazine shops, sport shops and shops selling the things I wanted. When I went through passport control I turned left, my gate was right at the end and walked passed many shops but did not see any selling what I needed. There inst a central area with all the shops, instead these are on the way to the gates. I did notice a very small rack of books from Asia Books in one place - mainly travel guides, but this is Thailand where fancy shirts and labels are much more important than books (apart from comic books of course).

When you buy a designer label at the airport - is it much cheaper due to being duty-free? What happens if you decide you dont like it, or a button falls off? I guess you cant return it because you are not allowed into the duty free area without a ticket.

I have just been back to don muang for an internal flight. It is much better - not nearly as much walking to get to where you need to be. Not crowded, buy your ticket at the entrance - walk 30 metres to the check in desk and then a 2 min walk to the passport control area. I think I will fly one-two-go from now on where I can fly from don muang. Also much closer to town and to the bus station.

There seems to be an incredible waste of vertical space in Svarnabhum - I expect their air conditioning bill is enormous - especially as the modeled the place on a giant green- house.

Another thing in survanabhmi are the very long moving walkways to get to your gate - you can hear a voice on repeat saying " END OF THE WAR". Obviously this should say "end of the walk way" - it is on repeat and probably plays 100,000 times a day. Its a shame someone hasn't noticed the mistake.

• 2 months later...
Something seems to have changed recently with King Power and the cigarettes they sell. On Friday I went to buy a carton of Thai Marlboro at Suvarnabhumi. None of the King Power shops had it. I was told "Marlboro finished this airport".

On the other hand, they seem to have significantly expanded the imported foreign brands they stock. Plenty of English, Japanese, American and even Australian cigarettes for sale. But no Marlboro, imported or local.

Came through BKK yesterday. King power had no Benson's or LM's either.

They had Lambert & Butler, Embassy Blue and a few other lesser known brands.

The explanation they gave me was "No Stock".

Maybe KP have fallen out with their supplier.

I just left Thailand recently. Before you go through passport control there are absolutely no shops, only a few restaurants.

When I went through passport control I could not find ANY of these things in any of the shops. All I could find were wall-to-wall high-class designer label shops. Armani, Calvin Klein, Gucci... you name it - Bangkok airport has everything for those travellers who happen to be on their way to a fashion show, but absolutely nothing of any use to the average tourist of business traveller. You can buy a suit for $2000 that isn't even taylor made, and other high fashion gear - but nothing of any use to most people going on a holiday. When did Bangkok become the fashion center of Asia?

I have to say that I hardly saw anyone in the fashion shops in Bangkok airport, and those who were there didn't look like they were actually going to buy anything.

Most airport I go to have a sports shop, book shop, pharmacy, "normal" clothes shop etc etc. Bangkok's beloved airport has none of these things.

I did manage to buy a fancy sandwich for 300 baht, but is was rubbish. The only coffee available is the starbucks style foamy stuff - no filter coffee anywhere. What happened to filter coffee? And what is Italian coffee? I didnt know they grow coffee in Italy. What is English tea for that matter?

Maybe Thailand thinks they will attract high-class tourists by having this gear for sale in the airport - they will come in flocks from all over the world to go shopping in Bangkok departure hall - just as they are leaving the country. If I were going to bring a souvenir from Thailand it would be something Thai, not an Armani suit - If you have been on holiday in Thailand and bring someone some designer label stuff they are going to think its a copy anyway.

/rant

:o Sorry....but the airport is not a place to shop.

King Power...that is the manager of the shopping area was/is a proxy of the old regime (Thaksin et al).

The shopping area was simply set up to bilk unduspecting tourists of cash for the eventual benefit of those who ran the country for their own profit.

The current lack of restocking (i.e. can't buy a (price regulated) Bangkok post) are simply the signs of the eventual end of King Power.

When in Thailand avoid the airport shooping (unless tou are really desperate), shop in Bangkok. You will save money and get a better selection besides.

Oh and by the way (no offense intended) but it's tailor made not taylor made.

:D

Bangkok's new airport is more geared towards the arrival and departure of planes and passengers more than it is to commercial sales. All in all I say that is a good thing. I wish my home country had an airport as nice as this one. By the way, the food on the top floor was wonderful and inexpensive when I was there a month ago. And the parking couldn't be more convenient!

/rant

:o Sorry....but the airport is not a place to shop.

King Power...that is the manager of the shopping area was/is a proxy of the old regime (Thaksin et al).

The shopping area was simply set up to bilk unduspecting tourists of cash for the eventual benefit of those who ran the country for their own profit.

The current lack of restocking (i.e. can't buy a (price regulated) Bangkok post) are simply the signs of the eventual end of King Power.

When in Thailand avoid the airport shooping (unless tou are really desperate), shop in Bangkok. You will save money and get a better selection besides.

Oh and by the way (no offense intended) but it's tailor made not taylor made.

:D

right on.

Who the heck would want to do any serious shopping at any airport in the world anyway? Duty free, notwithstanding?

I do a lot of shopping in the Singapore Airport which has the same prices as downtown and I don't have to carry edibles and easily breakable items to the airport. I LOVE Changi! :o

The only thing useful I have found (and I have to admit it has proven to be very useful) is a Thai-language guide book to Singapore. Having said that, the missus spotted it at the little Asia Books (?) kiosk before immigration. Bought it. Then on a hunch decided to ask for the same thing at the airside book store ... "no have, only Engrish sir"

Overall, don't think Suwannathingy is that bad, but just not as good as a brand new international airport should be. The layout and facilities, particularly airside, don't always seem well thought out to me. Baggage handling is still a bit slow compared to Don Muang... on the other hand I find immigration (Arrivals) a huge improvement.

CC

• 2 weeks later...

I left Suvarnaphumi about 2 days ago for a brief visit to England to obtain my new non O visa. Immigration were really friendly to me [speak as you find] as were Customs. However the shopping airside was quite frankly bloody awful. There seemed to be no provision whatsoever for the traveller who just wants to buy 20 smokes, a decent book and somewhere to put his feet up for an hour or two with a few beers while waiting for a 10 hour plus flight back home.

Suvarnaphumi looks good,is not too difficult to get around in, the AC was fine for me but if I have to spend a substantial time at an airport, give me Amsterdam any time.

"There seemed to be no provision whatsoever for the traveller who just wants to buy 20 smokes, a decent book and somewhere to put his feet up for an hour or two with a few beers while waiting for a 10 hour plus flight back home."

You're kidding me. Are you sure you were at S'poom? Perhaps there isn't one place you can do all 4, but the airport certainly has the facilities to smoke, read, and drink at the same time.

Who the heck would want to do any serious shopping at any airport in the world anyway? Duty free, notwithstanding?

Apparently it is due to the state-of-mind they're in, pocket-full of money & on-holiday, whilst nervous about the plane going down. Then lock them up, for a couple of hours, in a building full of over-priced cr*p. They just go mad for it ! :o

Sort of .. Buy Before You Die :D

Came through BKK yesterday. King power had no Benson's or LM's either.

They had Lambert & Butler, Embassy Blue and a few other lesser known brands.

The explanation they gave me was "No Stock".

Maybe KP have fallen out with their supplier.

Looked twice in 6 months for LM's at Singapore's Changi airport and they also don't carry them.

they complain of poor sales and no trade ,havent they heard that if you cut the price they will be doing a roaring trade and the tills will be singing ! it beggars belief that they have so little idea of operating the retail outlets there. as we know its all for show and no real substance . the turnover could be magnified a 100 times with good prices and decent snacks which travellers want but they persist with supplying want nobody wants .

Here is the definitive advice for all cheapskates (like me) if you find yourself at the airport.

1. Buy anything important BEFORE you get to the airport. This includes your booze and fags if you want to take them. Duty-free cigarettes are more expensive than cigarettes at 7-11.

2. If you are hungry, go to the curry stall between the terminal and the car park. Your Thai curries and rice are there at affordable prices i.e. 2 curries over rice 25 Baht. Do not buy any scam-priced food inside the terminal and especially once you have cleared immigration. The curry stall is towards the domestic departures end of the terminal not far from the ground floor open air parking. It is open-air.

3. If you are thirsty, go to the Family Mart inside the terminal BEFORE you clear immigration. Drinks are priced at regular prices. Nam Thip water 10 Baht, for example.

Inside immigration controls, one sees a perfect example of the economic result of a monopoly/captive market. There's only one vendor, King Power, plus the cut they have to pay the AOT. That result is rip-off prices. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Here is the definitive advice for all cheapskates (like me) if you find yourself at the airport.

1. Buy anything important BEFORE you get to the airport. This includes your booze and fags if you want to take them. Duty-free cigarettes are more expensive than cigarettes at 7-11.

Incorrect. When KP had B&H they were 500 or 550 bht per carton. 7-11 were charging 75bht per packet.

I do a lot of shopping in the Singapore Airport which has the same prices as downtown and I don't have to carry edibles and easily breakable items to the airport. I LOVE Changi! :D

Vancouver does the same. "Street level pricing" is the rule for all airport shops. :o