90 Days and out for Ex-pats in Europe

Still think the Thai government is really tough and unfair on Ex-pats making them report (by computer or pop into the office )every 90 days (3 times a year) well if you had built your dream home in the sun in Spain/Greece /France or any other EU country. Your 90 days will mean -leave the country & do not return, until a 6 month period is up. (So 3 months in--3 months out) 

"Because, under post-Brexit rules, British holidaymakers will no longer be able to enjoy extended stays in Europe without first getting a visa or residency permit. AND--They warn that the  options, such as applying for a visa or for permanent residency, can be far from straightforward.

Forget a year in Provence, from next month UK nationals will be limited to a maximum visit of 90 days in any six-month period. This is despite the fact that EU citizens will themselves be able to stay in the UK for twice as long. The rule will affect the estimated half a million British citizens with holiday homes on the Continent.They are now campaigning for a relaxation of the rules that would change the limit to 180 days over 12 months. This would give more flexibility, including the ability to stay for a longer period on any one trip — such as through an entire summer." https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9019917/Half-million-Brits-stay-holiday-homes-three-months-time-2021.html

From the beginning of next year, the so-called ‘90/180’ rule will apply to them in much the same way that it already applies to citizens of non-EU countries, such as Australia-Those on gap years or an extended yachting holiday around the Med are likely to fall foul of the new rules — as will retired second home owners.

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

This is despite the fact that EU citizens will themselves be able to stay in the UK for twice as long

We did not join Schengen, so our immigration rules determine the maximum length of time a standard visitor can remain in the UK. From 31/12/20 EU/EEA and Swiss nationals visiting the UK will be subject to those rules, not the FoM directive; the same as everyone else. For at least the 20 years I have taken an interest, the maximum period a standard visitor has been able to remain in the UK has been 6 months. 

6 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

The rule will affect the estimated half a million British citizens with holiday homes on the Continent. They are now campaigning for a relaxation of the rules that would change the limit to 180 days over 12 months. This would give more flexibility, including the ability to stay for a longer period on any one trip — such as through an entire summer."

Losing the benefits of EU membership may come as a shock to those who in 2016 believed the Vote.Leave hype, but not to the rest of us. The UK chose to leave the EU, so why should we be treated any differently to all other non EU/EEA or Swiss nationals?

Remember, too, that after the transition period UK nationals will no longer be eligible for a European Health Insurance Card. So if visiting a EU/EEA state or Switzerland after 31/12/20 should take out the appropriate private health insurance.

The title of this topic, though, is not strictly correct. These changes only apply after the end of the transition period. British expats already living in the EU/EEA or Switzerland can apply for permanent residency so they can remain there after 31/12/20.

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Losing the benefits of EU membership may come as a shock to those who in 2016 believed the Vote.Leave hype, but not to the rest of us. The UK chose to leave the EU, so why should we be treated any differently to all other non EU/EEA or Swiss nationals?

It may be that the majority of UK residents feel that the benefits of leaving the EU--outweigh not being able to reside there for a longer period then 90 days 7by7--I don't know, I left in the 60s.

My post was more to point out how other countries treat there ex-pats, because there is hardly a week goes by without a compliant about things I consider trivial..the 90 day etc. Most ex-pats here wander in to Thailand-after their productive years, buy a condo--get married, sometimes start a business  etc,  I did 22 years ago. .................Try doing that in most other countries around the world.

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

It may be that the majority of UK residents feel that the benefits of leaving the EU--outweigh not being able to reside there for a longer period then 90 days 7by7--I don't know, I left in the 60s.

It is obvious, though, that the group quoted in the Mail article feel that they should still retain the benefits of EU membership even though we have left.

They are not alone in this; many who voted leave in 2016 are now complaining that the EU wont let us keep those benefits!

There's plenty on this in the News forum.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, sanuk711 said:

My post was more to point out how other countries treat there ex-pats, because there is hardly a week goes by without a compliant about things I consider trivial..the 90 day etc. Most ex-pats here wander in to Thailand-after their productive years, buy a condo--get married, sometimes start a business  etc,  I did 22 years ago. .................Try doing that in most other countries around the world.

Benefits of leaving the EU? Name one please.

Archived