Opening to foreign tourists: "More convenience over visas" promised as NSC meet Foreign Ministry today

webfact

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When you apply for the 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa and you do this for a different reason than RETIREMENT (e.g. marriage, Thai dependent children, ...) the health-insurance requirement is NOT applicable.  So if he is in that case there is no need for him to convert to a Non Imm O Visa, a switch to a Non Imm O Visa would only be relevant if he can only apply for his Non Imm O-A based extension for reason of retirement (as that requires a mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy).

>> I compiled a comprehensive guideline document outlining all options/details on how to do that, just PM me if you want to receive a copy.

Thanks. Yes, no insurance requirement is why he converted to marriage extension. Next year he will convert extension to straight non-o retirement with no insurance. Why not stay on marriage? Because the renewal is easier on non-o retirement (no visits etc.). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Thanks. Yes, no insurance requirement is why he converted to marriage extension. Next year he will convert extension to straight non-o retirement with no insurance. Why not stay on marriage? Because the renewal is easier on non-o retirement (no visits etc.). 

Yes, that's correct.  But unless he can make use of the Embassy issued income letter method, the financial requirements are way lower when applying for reason of marriage.  When using the funds-in-bank method opting for the retirement reason means you permanently park +400K on your Thai bank-account compared with the marriage extension.  So unless 400K THB is peanuts for you, the additional hassle by opting for a marriage extension is well worth it.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, that's correct.  But unless he can make use of the Embassy issued income letter method, the financial requirements are way lower when applying for reason of marriage.  When using the funds-in-bank method opting for the retirement reason means you permanently park +400K on your Thai bank-account compared with the marriage extension.  So unless 400K THB is peanuts for you, the additional hassle by opting for a marriage extension is well worth it.

Didn't mention the financials as parking 800K permanently is no problem.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Quarantine should be required for everyone, even those vaccinated.

The problem with quarantine for tourists is that it is currently too long to be convenient or accepted by your average Joe with a lot of people with any previous knowledge of Thailand being dubious as to whether they will be ripped off by the hospitals and ASQ?  In a land where dual pricing and ripping tourists off appears to be an accepted national sport, I can't blame them TBH? Therefore Thailand either has to vaccinate everyone or up their testing game including making it free to everyone, so that outbreaks can be contained and isolated immediately.

• Like 1

If the vaccines work and Covid is declared over or even semi-over, I will be coming to Thailand/SE Asia for my usual 3 month holiday.  I spend about $75US per day so for the 60 days in Thailand I will be spending there $4500.

I am just an average guy, not high end by any means.  But neither am I a cheap charlie or one of them old retirees who linger over beers at the two bit bars.