British grandma is first in world to get Pfizer vaccine outside trial

webfact

British grandma is first in world to get Pfizer vaccine outside trial

By Kate Holton

2020-12-08T072808Z_2_LYNXMPEGB70CL_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-VACCINE.JPG

A dose of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccination of BioNTech and Pfizer is pictured in this undated handout photo, as Britain became the first western country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, in Mainz, Germany. BioNTech SE 2020, all rights reserved/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Margaret Keenan, a 90-year-old grandmother, on Tuesday became the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine shot outside of a trial as Britain began vaccinating its population.

An early riser, Keenan received the vaccine at her local hospital in Coventry, central England, on Tuesday morning at 0631 GMT, a week before she turns 91.

Britain began rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech on Tuesday, the first Western country to start vaccinating its general population in what was hailed as a decisive watershed in defeating the coronavirus.

"I feel so privileged to be the first person vaccinated against Covid-19," said Keenan.

"It's the best early birthday present I could wish for because it means I can finally look forward to spending time with my family and friends in the New Year after being on my own for most of the year."

Keenan, known as Maggie to her friends, is a former jewellery shop assistant who only retired four years ago. She has a daughter, a son and four grandchildren.

Video footage shows her wearing a medical mask along with a blue t-shirt and cardigan while she receives the shot from nurse May Parsons.

Parsons said the last few months had been tough on everyone but it felt like there was now light at the end of the tunnel.

Britain is the worst-hit European country from COVID-19, with over 61,000 deaths, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson hopes to turn the tide against the disease by rolling out the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine before the United States or European Union.

The mass inoculation will fuel hope that the world may be turning a corner in the fight against a pandemic that has crushed economies and killed more than 1.5 million, although ultra-cold storage and tricky logistics will limit its use for now.

(Reporting by Kate Holton, editing by Estelle Shirbon/Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-08

• Like 2

Listening to the radio just now...apparently the second person to have the vaccine....was a Mr. William Shakespeare!  He was from? Warwickshire!! 

You couldnt make it up!! I know its "ladies first"....Would have made brilliant headlines though if William Shakespeare was the first person!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

If they do 5 patients a day, the whole country will be vaccinated by the end of 2029. Good job !

One would be forgiven for assuming numbers not quite your strong point unless you are referring to Palau (with its ±17000 population)

Otherwise, 5 patients per day falls some 20,285 vaccinations per day short of vaccinating the full UK population by 2029

IF the UK can carry out ±300,000 Covid-19 PCR tests per day, its a fair assumption that across the country 300,000 Vaccinations could be carried out per day - i.e. 7 months as soon as the vaccine becomes widely available in such numbers. 

• Haha 1

Allergy risk on Pfizer jab: Day before FDA meet to give green light to vaccine UK regulators warn people with history of 'significant' allergic reactions NOT to take it after two health workers suffer ‘anaphylactic reaction’ - Daily Mail 09/12/20
Continued https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9034479/Allergy-risk-Pfizer-jab-ahead-key-FDA-meeting-tomorrow.html