An interesting price trend

Big Joke

Looking back at old Thai golf guides an interesting trend appears. Taking 1993 and 100 baht as a start point the cost of the caddie fee doubles every 10 years. I wonder if the fee will be 700/800 baht in 2023?

The cart fee has stayed static at 600 baht, or so I thought. But it was 2 persons per cart, so a price now of 600/800 per person means that the cost has at least doubled. It is around 2005 that the price 600/1 or 600/2 appears.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Big Joke said:

You will struggle to find a named course in BKK that charges a 350 caddie fee. Most courses have been charging 400 baht since the start of this year.

I don't play in Bangkok most in Pattaya average 350.

I searched: what is the average caddie fee in Thailand? 

around 350 baht

The caddy fee is around 350 baht and we suggest you tip her at least 400 baht for her hard work.
Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Many of the Pattaya region caddies will provide extra services such as cleaning your balls and taking care of your wood.

They also take your balls out of the hole and clean your shafts,

So, normally a tip is deserved.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Many of the Pattaya region caddies will provide extra services such as cleaning your balls and taking care of your wood.

A few years ago it was fun picking the hottest caddie in the line up, some would be looking for a boyfriend/husband, once a hot young caddie switched with my older caddie because she was looking for a husband, I got a hole in one that day literally, then year on year they got older and older to the point they could of been my grandmother and struggled walking round the course

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't play in Bangkok most in Pattaya average 350.

I searched: what is the average caddie fee in Thailand? 

around 350 baht

The caddy fee is around 350 baht and we suggest you tip her at least 400 baht for her hard work.

You don't tip them any more than 300 unless they really earn it. Some of them aren't even worth 300.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A few years ago it was fun picking the hottest caddie in the line up, some would be looking for a boyfriend/husband, once a hot young caddie switched with my older caddie because she was looking for a husband, I got a hole in one that day literally, then year on year they got older and older to the point they could of been my grandmother and struggled walking round the course

There's still quite a few good-looking ones in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Seem to be three groups - married to a Thai, with kid(s), single with kid, single no kid.

Don't know if fees have gone up, 240 baht at the lower-echelon  courses, 300 baht at the more upmarket courses. Been that way for the ten years I have been here. I've noticed Thai golfers tend to tip the minimum.

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I usually leave 300 to 400 b.

But, do what you want.  A tip is "customary" so if you don't want to leave one, then don't.

I'd suggest a golfer who did that would not be able to get a caddie the next time they turned up at the course where they paid no tip.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd suggest a golfer who did that would not be able to get a caddie the next time they turned up at the course where they paid no tip.

No tip is totally frowned upon, I've heard of caddies almost lynching a guy who didn't tip another caddie. it's not the same as optional tips in bars and restaurants. Caddie tips are basically compulsory 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No tip is totally frowned upon, I've heard of caddies almost lynching a guy who didn't tip another caddie. it's not the same as optional tips in bars and restaurants. Caddie tips are basically compulsory 

I can remember as a caddie, the standard tip was two shillings and sixpence. One very stingy member used to tip sixpence or a shilling, caddies would vanish en masse when his car turned up at the caddie shed.

The pinnacle was becoming head caddie, then one was on the bag of HH. He would tip a pound, which was a lot of money in those days. About a week's wage for some.

Some time in the late naughties, years ago anyway, I recall rocking up at Pinehurst Golf Course to the bag drop. 

One attractive Caddy seemed to bully the others out of the way to secure my ‘bag’ amongst a few others.

After we’d parked the cars, paid the Green Fee’s and Caddy Fee’s, had breakfast etc we went out to towards the first tee where our bags were line up. 

My Caddy, sat in the cart my my bag on it, waiting. I had to point out that I’m a ‘walker’ and have not paid for a cart. 

The Caddy was not impressed, not at all. She hustled and switched out with another caddy.

My friend came out to see the same caddy, sat in a golf cart with his bag.  It was highly amusing to see the look on the caddy’s face as my friend pointed out that he’s a ‘walker’ and has not paid for a cart. 

Too late to hustle anyone else into a walking spot the caddy was forced to accept her fate, but she complained, frowned and made a nuisance of herself on the way round - a terrible caddy. I felt luck to have escaped her. 

Come ’tip time’ I offered my caddy 300 baht and thanked her, she offered a Wai as thanks and that was that. 

My friend offered his caddy 300 baht and she hit the roof and started demanding 500 baht and made quite a scene. 

In my friends shoes I’d have called the Manager and told him exactly why I have just cancelled the 300 baht tip to no tip !!!! 

Instead we (other friends and I) just stood there highly amused at this situation while watching our friend listen this caddy shouting at my friend and my friend telling her thats all she's getting !

-----

Anyway - on topic. Up until about 5 years ago (when I got too bored with golf) - the Caddy Tip was 300 baht. 

Thats all I ever paid at golf courses around Bangkok. 

16 hours ago, Big Joke said:

Looking back at old Thai golf guides an interesting trend appears. Taking 1993 and 100 baht as a start point the cost of the caddie fee doubles every 10 years. I wonder if the fee will be 700/800 baht in 2023?

The cart fee has stayed static at 600 baht, or so I thought. But it was 2 persons per cart, so a price now of 600/800 per person means that the cost has at least doubled. It is around 2005 that the price 600/1 or 600/2 appears.

Get the elite visa, you get heaps of free golf with it, i can't stand the sport, would rather watch paint dry, but it does have those perks, and i'd imagine they add up, rounds of 18, 12 holes on each course etc.

4 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Get the elite visa, you get heaps of free golf with it, i can't stand the sport, would rather watch paint dry, but it does have those perks, and i'd imagine they add up, rounds of 18, 12 holes on each course etc.

I've usually found people who say they can't stand golf are incapable of playing it. Not everyone has the hand-eye co-ordination required. The best golfers combine physical abilities with mental discipline.

Greatest game ever invented, I've been playing it for over 60 years. Name any other sport where I could do that.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

he said caddie is mandatory, its enforced upon you,

you are given no choice.

in other words, its a fee, phrased/advertised as a service.

it would be great if they removed the compulsory falsely advertised fee if you merely refuse to pay it, or as you suggest,

refuse to tip the fee

Edited by scammed

4 hours ago, scammed said:

he said caddie is mandatory, its enforced upon you,

you are given no choice.

in other words, its a fee, phrased/advertised as a service.

it would be great if they removed the compulsory falsely advertised fee if you merely refuse to pay it, or as you suggest,

refuse to tip the fee

Things must be different in Pattaya, I'm not aware of any courses in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai where taking a caddie is mandatory. Although having said that, I think caddie and cart are inclusive in the price at Happy City and Waterford Valley. I've seen golfers playing without caddies at Santiburi.

I think you must be confusing me with another poster, I would never suggest not tipping a caddie. There is one course I know in Chiang Mai which takes all the caddie fee for itself, the only income the caddie gets is the tip. I was one myself, so I know there are a few golfers who think all their good golf is their own doing, and any poor shot is the caddie's fault.

Edited by Lacessit

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Things must be different in Pattaya, I'm not aware of any courses in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai where taking a caddie is mandatory. Although having said that, I think caddie and cart are inclusive in the price at Happy City and Waterford Valley. I've seen golfers playing without caddies at Santiburi.

I think you must be confusing me with another poster, I would never suggest not tipping a caddie. There is one course I know in Chiang Mai which takes all the caddie fee for itself, the only income the caddie gets is the tip. I was one myself, so I know there are a few golfers who think all their good golf is their own doing, and any poor shot is the caddie's fault.

i'm not talking about blame here, i'm talking about the absurd

suggestion you should tip a mandatory fee/service,

that would be like giving the landlord a tip for topping up my electric bill with 'service fee', over twice the actual cost for electric

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scammed said:

i'm not talking about blame here, i'm talking about the absurd

suggestion you should tip a mandatory fee/service,

that would be like giving the landlord a tip for topping up my electric bill with 'service fee', over twice the actual cost for electric

I've already explained there is at least one course I know of where the only income the caddie gets is the tip. There may be other courses as well, it's part of a chain.

Are you suggesting caddies should work for nothing?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've already explained there is at least one course I know of where the only income the caddie gets is the tip. There may be other courses as well, it's part of a chain.

Are you suggesting caddies should work for nothing?

the OP specifically stated it was mandatory,

maybe you are responding to some other topic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

All courses around Pattaya have compulsory caddies - and compulsory tips.

Also at 90% compulsory carts all single use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scammed said:

the OP specifically stated it was mandatory,

maybe you are responding to some other topic

If I think I am being stiffed on any price here, I walk away. Perhaps that is not an option in Pattaya, certainly is in CM and CR. it also sounds as if Pattaya is more rigid and expensive.

Current prices here, all good courses IMO. Not as good as some I have played elsewhere, but quite acceptable.

Santiburi 1300 baht, single use cart plus caddie, excludes tip.

Happy City 1000 baht, single use cart plus caddie, excluding tip.

Waterford Valley 900 baht, get a 100 baht food voucher to be spent in the clubhouse. Shared cart plus caddies, excluding tip.

I can live with those prices and the caddie tip quite comfortably.

The OP was about price rises, which IMO I have not seen up North in ten years.

Golf in Thailand is ludicrously expensive. I spend time between Arizona and Thailand and golf in Arizona normally runs between 6oo baht and 900 baht a round including a cart, 900 baht is only during the high season which is only about 4 months. The courses are as good if not better than what can be found in Thailand. There is no comparison. Caddies are  pretty cool but for the most part they are completely useless to the round you are playing. For all of the rounds I have played in Thailand I think I've had one or two caddies that made a difference in my score and that is what they are there for.

in my opinion, if you are looking to take a golf vacation, Arizona is hands down far, far better than Thailand. Great courses to play range from super cheap to expensive PGA level golf courses and the PGA level golf courses will cost you about the same as a normal course in Thailand. Shoot, if you are willing to play in the hottest part of summer in Arizona, you only have to pay for the cart.

• Like 1

If your a regular player at most golf courses you get to know the good caddies and hold on to them and pre book them prior to your round.

You typically just work through them one by one until you find one that can help you play to the best of your abilities.

Looks don't always count by it's a nice extra if they come with good caddying skills and personality. 

This way as they say; you get pay what you get for!

All my regular caddies at my favorite golf courses I tip 600 Baht and pay them 100 baht for any birdies we get collectively with their green reading skills and my woeful putting. 

If I play a course where I am unfamiliar with the the caddies I will tip them in the order of 400 to 500 Baht based on their efforts for the day.

Only once have I tipped a caddie 300 Baht; she was so useless but I guess I felt sorry for her that she was in the wrong business.