Battery Dead Not Accepting Charge

Topcroc

I recently purchased a house with a stand-by Gen set. Battery was U/s so purchased new battery. As main power is pretty good gen set does not get to run very often.

I ran it about 6 weeks after new battery fitted and again a few weeks after.

Due lack of use new battery is dead. Have had on charger 24 hours set MIN charge and battery not accepting charge. Set on MAX 24 hours still not accepting charge.

Battery type is:FB Premium MF sealed 12 volt.

Any tricks available to solve issue or do I buy another one??

20 minutes ago, Topcroc said:

I recently purchased a house with a stand-by Gen set. Battery was U/s so purchased new battery. As main power is pretty good gen set does not get to run very often.

Due lack of use new battery is dead. Have had on charger 24 hours set MIN charge and battery not accepting charge. Set on MAX 24 hours still not accepting charge.

It's unusual for a battery to not "accept" a charge. Normally batteries take a charge but may not hold it for long. Have you got a multimeter to check battery voltage and charger output? That would be my first try. Batteries should be disconected from fitment circuit before charge. Some battery charges may not allow a charge if the battery voltage is below a certain threshold.  

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Topcroc said:

Most batteries here have a 1 year guarantee. Try taking it back to where you got it. If that fails get a new one. If your not using it much disconnect it whilst not in use. The system could be draining it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Most batteries here have a 1 year guarantee. Try taking it back to where you got it. If that fails get a new one. If your not using it much disconnect it whilst not in use. The system could be draining it.

IMHO batteries do not last long here for various reasons:quality/heat.You may also have a "parasitic" load .

My buddy in Burriam goes home every year (pre-covid) for 5 Mons and when he returns he has to buy a new battery every time no matter what he tries.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

IMHO batteries do not last long here for various reasons:quality/heat.You may also have a "parasitic" load .

My buddy in Burriam goes home every year (pre-covid) for 5 Mons and when he returns he has to buy a new battery every time no matter what he tries.

Many years ago I used to travel a lot, out of the country for months on end. The only way I found to keep my battery in good condition/working was to disconnect it before I left and reconnect on my return. I also told the G/L to put it on a slow charge every few weeks. By doing it that way they would usually ??? last for a few years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

How hot was the country it was parked up in ?

A car that is parked up sees no killer heat, especially if it is undercover, but not relevant in my case, plus the battery was moved from the engine bay to a hanger in the boot floor, something I learned from my MGB batteries (2x6v) location...????

6 hours ago, transam said:

A car that is parked up sees no killer heat, especially if it is undercover, but not relevant in my case, plus the battery was moved from the engine bay to a hanger in the boot floor, something I learned from my MGB batteries (2x6v) location...????

so it was a cooler climate then.

10 hours ago, Topcroc said:

As I read it, you have a sealed for life battery.

If it is still under warranty take it back.  Although it may just needs some charge putting in and then your charger will do the rest. SO if you have another charged battery just connect the two for a minute or so and then try your charger again.

It would be a good idea to buy something like a CTEK 5.0 and leave it connected all the time. to your battery.    

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Buy a new battery and a battery maintainer. Then keep the maintainer connected and plugged in.

I have to say, I never thought of that solution, I was about to suggest a quick disconnect, but a battery maintainer is a good idea. I had a similar problem with the battery in my tractor that I use to cut the grass in Florida, and don't use very often. I use to take a battery lead off and still the small battery was often dead. I went to on Amazon and saw one for only $30 and ordered one, I also see them on Lazade, but I am not in Thailand now. Anyway thank you for that suggestion. 

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, remiss of me not posting this sooner. Thank you so much your constructive suggestions.

I hooked the dead battery up to reasonably charged much larger battery neg to neg and pos to pos and left them for 12+hours.

Disconnected then hooked up to charger and VOILA accepting charge.

I now have a miliamp  similar to Ctech permanently attached to the battery. Gen set easy start. All would have been easier if I had volt metre.

Problem solved thanks heaps you good fellows.

• Like 2

It's also worth running your genset occasionally too, keeps the fuel circulated (important if it's petrol) and you know it's going to start when needed (it's always dark and raining when it fails). I run ours for an hour or so once a month.

I recently replaced the sealed lead-acid battery on our genset with a 20Ah LiFePo4 beast, still have the on-line charger as the management system draws (a very small) current when on standby. Hopefully I'll never need to replace the battery again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

It's also worth running your genset occasionally too, keeps the fuel circulated (important if it's petrol) and you know it's going to start when needed (it's always dark and raining when it fails). I run ours for an hour or so once a month.

I recently replaced the sealed lead-acid battery on our genset with a 20Ah LiFePo4 beast, still have the on-line charger as the management system draws (a very small) current when on standby. Hopefully I'll never need to replace the battery again.

Correct - Running the gen-set once a month for at least one hour is recommended by all generator manufacturers, especially carburetor gasoline units (less important on propane generators)

• Thanks 1