Message from Australian Embassy Bangkok

Just received a letter from the embassy today re a repatriation flights from Bangkok to Sydney.  Just thought I brought some good news for some people who want to return home for Christmas. 

----------------------------------------

OFFICIAL

You are receiving this email because you have registered your details with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

You may have seen on our Facebook page Australia in Thailand that we announced that there will be a Thai Airways flight from Bangkok to Sydney every Sunday until March 2021

We are seeking expressions of interest for the next TWO flights -

·         Sunday, 20 December 2020; and

·         Sunday, 3 January 2021. 

There will not be a flight on 27 December.

If you would like to express your interest in these flights, please complete the online form using the following link: https://forms.gle/U6zHB4ZrYbjS4yWv8    by 6pm on Sunday, 13 December 2020. 

We are only taking registrations using this form and cannot accept expressions of interest by phone, email or Facebook message.

The ticket price will be THB24,000 (approx. AUD1,100) per passenger for an economy ticket or THB 60,000 (approx. AUD $2,700) for a business ticket. Please read the attached Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document. 

Thai Airways will contact passengers with further information about payment and ticketing after registrations have closed and the lists are finalised.  If you do not receive an email, you have not been successful in getting a seat on these flights. Please do not contact the Embassy.

Please note: As per the Ambassador’s Facebook message on 19 November. If you register for a flight and are offered a seat but do not take up the offer, you will not be considered for any future flights.

If you can travel at short notice on the flight/s you are registering for (3-4 days notice only) please select that option on the form link.

Passengers must undertake a 14-day mandatory quarantine on arrival in Australia.  This applies to everyone, even if you have no symptoms. The NSW Government implemented a quarantine fee from Saturday 18 July.  Please review the following link, and discuss your individual circumstances with the NSW Government directly as the Embassy cannot provide any further information https://www.revenue.nsw.gov.au/news-media-releases/covid-19-tax-relief-measures/quarantine-fees

We do not anticipate any repatriation flights with any other airline or to any other states in Australia.

Take care and stay safe

Australian Embassy, Bangkok

Australian Consulate-General Phuket

• Thanks 1

However!!! I've been getting these since October, after searching airlines for flights and reading of delays and cancellations, and then pursuing refunds, after flights ceased earlier in the year, with refunds requested. Weird approaching embassy, re booking flights. As airlines need to be approached about these flights, the embassy again emphasized, all arrivals face isolation and hygiene is up to airlines, given infected people are on most flights. As obvious from daily infection arrival's in most countries. Whilst Thailand has no transit atm, travellers either remain on aircraft, as Thais are unloaded and new passengers go to gates, or ongoing passengers unloaded to area near gates to resume flights after disinfecting aircraft. Given that over 60 years of age, 90% die from covid, arrival in Australia infected from transmission could spell tragedy. Each makes that choice, but I've asked when aust and Thai have bubble to no idea. Take your chance or wait till vaccine is more commonly used, to lower infections on aircraft. I read today Thailand is stopping or reducing domestic air travel, I think.

13 minutes ago, Haveasay said:

However!!! I've been getting these since October, after searching airlines for flights and reading of delays and cancellations, and then pursuing refunds, after flights ceased earlier in the year, with refunds requested. Weird approaching embassy, re booking flights. As airlines need to be approached about these flights, the embassy again emphasized, all arrivals face isolation and hygiene is up to airlines, given infected people are on most flights. As obvious from daily infection arrival's in most countries. Whilst Thailand has no transit atm, travellers either remain on aircraft, as Thais are unloaded and new passengers go to gates, or ongoing passengers unloaded to area near gates to resume flights after disinfecting aircraft. Given that over 60 years of age, 90% die from covid, arrival in Australia infected from transmission could spell tragedy. Each makes that choice, but I've asked when aust and Thai have bubble to no idea. Take your chance or wait till vaccine is more commonly used, to lower infections on aircraft. I read today Thailand is stopping or reducing domestic air travel, I think.

Agree, the high chance of catching Covid 19 on a flight is quite worrying, especially for older folks (me). For those who do fly (your choice of course), seems to me some good/thorough step by step planning is very advisable, all the normal stuff, plus very often changing medical gloves (very cheap to buy), extra gel/gel wipes to continuously do extra cleaning around your seat etc., and take your time to ensure it's done thoroughly.  

Seriously avoid touching anything/touching other passengers/staff hands etc. Carry extra gel/wipes to sterilize handles of luggage etc., before you take your bags away, and use gloves and quickly change the gloves afterwards.

Seriously push yourself to not touch your face either with naked fingers or with gloves on your hands. If you do touch your face very quickly use a gel wipe on that skin area.

When anybody hands documents back to you try to get that person to put them in a big size ziplock bag (provided by you), then later wipe your passport/documents down with gel wipe,s then discard the gloves and change to new gloves.

All of this is on a big poster outside a travel agency at my local big shopping mall, near Sydney. 

Announced here in Australia this morning (Fri 11 Dec), gov't/health minister announced that vaccinations start date may be earlier, maybe mid February for first jab (with 3 week wait for second jab and should wait extra 7 days to ensure no adverse reactions).

Health ministry professor saying don't be shocked/put off by very small number of reactions to the first jabs in UK. Says the 2 people who reacted was not surprising given their personal situations/history but was in fact very mild reaction. 

I need to get back to Perth sometime next year, just hoping the vaccines make a big difference and by mid 2021 many regulations are relaxed, especially for vaccinated people. If not then I guess I'll be dealing with the BKK Emm and NSW quarantine.

I've emailed the embassy on my situation and if demand for these places exceeds supply as someone posted could be 2 months. I believe 30 vacancies each flight, or thereabouts, and you wouldn't think that's plane full..  These flights are originating from Europe and UK with maybe 200 plus! At departures in these countries no negative tests prior to departure. Australian is contemplating expecting this, but like everything negotiations and bubbles, as with Singapore to Korea, delays to instigate, and delays to bookings and chasing refunds.

Given the current price is 3 times what it was a year ago for one way. The aus govt has spent millions of a wasted vaccine they say was worth every cent. Robodebt costing them compensation of millions. Even a couple or family one way expensive. How do they determine whose fare gets waived. Surely a 50% discount at 2000 more reasonable than double that?